wmw999

Why is same-sex marriage wrong?

Why does someone else's marriage impact people?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It isn't wrong. Let everyone marry.

An interesting side note in regards to "opening" the marriage laws are the polygamists. From what I've read, they're gearing up to follow up any "civil union" victories with their own legal fight. That should be an interesting fight, but I doubt most media outlets pick up and run those stories.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Wendy P.

Getting people upset over gay marriage doesn't leave them enough attention to worry about government policies which have radically increased their cost of living with housing prices 80% over historic inflation adjusted numbers in high cost areas, health care increasing over 4X the rate of inflation, and education also going up 4X inflation.

I'm not real fond of government involvement in relationships; marriage or otherwise. Marriage laws and government involvement might have been necessary once to keep men from virtual ownership of women. But in today's world, if we are going to be equal, nobody needs the government to protect them in a relationship. Write out your own contract. If the other party breaches, sue.

As to why gender matters? Religious beliefs being crammed down everyone else's throats.

Same way with polygamy, except people ignore their own religious history. Biblical characters had multiple wives in the old testament. It wasn't until the new testament writing under the cultural influence or Rome that monogamy came in vogue. Saul was a Roman and pushed Roman virtues over traditional Jewish ones. The Christian church was more closely allied with Rome and followed suit.

I don't see how it is government or public business who you live with or have sex with. It's just religious people trying to force others to live by their religious views.

Seems I once read a government document that forbid the government to force religious views on people, but the document was old. I'm pretty sure nobody pays attention to it anymore.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Wendy P.

I had a reply all typed up and ready to hit "post"....but then realized discretion is usually the wiser choice. I ain't gonna bite on that hook. ;)
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Wendy P.

My view is that a relationship in general does not require a legal framework. I don't see any difference between gays, hetero or polygamous relationships.

There is a big caveat though. In relationships where children are involved I do believe that being required to show adequate commitment to the relationship SHOULD be an underpinning requirement. I realise that you can't stop people pro-creating but a child is a pretty long term commitment and in my view a healthy part of childhood is having more than one adult in your life. Viewing marriage as a contract of commitment fulfils that requirement quite nicely, we should just lose the discriminatory part of the legislation. I do think that for adoption proof of a committed relationship should be a requirement.

* I am also not naive there are marriages that are lifelong, and completely dysfunctional with domestic abuse of all shades taking place.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

If you look at my posting history, I'm not a big troller. Not trying to set the hook, just interested in others' real opinions (i.e. not what I infer from other things they say, not what I read in the press, but what they actually think).

Similar to the zygote thread. It hasn't convinced a lot of people, but by and large folks have been respectful and learned something about others.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If you look at my posting history, I'm not a big troller. Not trying to set the hook, just interested in others' real opinions (i.e. not what I infer from other things they say, not what I read in the press, but what they actually think).

Similar to the zygote thread. It hasn't convinced a lot of people, but by and large folks have been respectful and learned something about others.

Wendy P.

Well, ok...at the risk of being slammed by several who will not like my opinion, even less that I state it.
First off, and this will probably be ignored by more than a few, I recognize a persons right to live their life as they choose, as long as it is within the laws, regardless of how I may view their behavior. Some people like rap music, I like everything but rap and hip-hop. People have every right to listen to the music I dislike until they pull up next to me at a stoplight with their stereo so loud I can't hear my own.
That being said, and ignored by many, I will state that I am not against gays forming a life partnership, civil union, whatever you wnat to call it.....just don't call it marriage. I feel marriage is one man, one woman. My parents were married. Their parents were married. So were their parents. All were one man, one woman. So, in my eyes, referring to an action that I find disgusting as being marriage is an insult to the lifestyle and committment to raising a family that those ancestors of mine had.
In brief, find another word. "Marriage" is already taken.
HAMMER:

Well, ok...at the risk of being slammed by several who will not like my opinion, even less that I state it.
First off, and this will probably be ignored by more than a few, I recognize a persons right to live their life as they choose, as long as it is within the laws, regardless of how I may view their behavior. Some people like rap music, I like everything but rap and hip-hop. People have every right to listen to the music I dislike until they pull up next to me at a stoplight with their stereo so loud I can't hear my own.
That being said, and ignored by many, I will state that I am not against gays forming a life partnership, civil union, whatever you wnat to call it.....just don't call it marriage. I feel marriage is one man, one woman. My parents were married. Their parents were married. So were their parents. All were one man, one woman. So, in my eyes, referring to an action that I find disgusting as being marriage is an insult to the lifestyle and committment to raising a family that those ancestors of mine had.
In brief, find another word. "Marriage" is already taken.

Many people share that view. I don't see any problem with people holding onto a set of values and ideals even if I disagree with them.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

It impacts peoples lives only because they choose to let it. To each their own. As long as they are not affecting me or telling me how to live my life, why should I tell them how to live theirs? Live and let live.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

My view is that a relationship in general does not require a legal framework. I don't see any difference between gays, hetero or polygamous relationships.

There is a big caveat though. In relationships where children are involved I do believe that being required to show adequate commitment to the relationship SHOULD be an underpinning requirement. I realise that you can't stop people pro-creating but a child is a pretty long term commitment and in my view a healthy part of childhood is having more than one adult in your life. Viewing marriage as a contract of commitment fulfils that requirement quite nicely, we should just lose the discriminatory part of the legislation. I do think that for adoption proof of a committed relationship should be a requirement.

* I am also not naive there are marriages that are lifelong, and completely dysfunctional with domestic abuse of all shades taking place.

Well-stated, Nigel.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Does not affect me at all.

It's between them.

And they can call it a Marriage if they won't - some may think that word is 'taken' but it's not, it's just a word and language is ever evolving.

If it gets up other peoples noses - Fuck em. It's non of their damned business.

Get on with your own lives and let others do the same.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Wendy P.

Because they think their magic book says it's an abomination.:S
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

Does not affect me at all.

It's between them.

And they can call it a Marriage if they won't - some may think that word is 'taken' but it's not, it's just a word and language is ever evolving.

If it gets up other peoples noses - Fuck em. It's non of their damned business.

Get on with your own lives and let others do the same.

Some may feel they can just change the concept of a word merely by saying it is changed, but it isn't that simple.
Marriage has described a union between a man and a woman for a very long time. Maybe someday it will not distinguish between male-female unions and male-male or female-female but, for the majority of the population, not today.
If two people want to become partners for life and form a legally binding union to enjoy the benefits of such, have at it. No skin off my back. That is, until they use the term marriage to describe a same sex union. My previous post explained how i feel and why. If somebody takes insult to that or can't understand and respect that opinion...fuck 'em. because when somebody insults my beliefs it IS my business.
HAMMER:

My father, who was (believe it or not) considerably more liberal than I am, felt pretty much the same way. He was all for equal rights, but was uncomfortable with the word "marriage" being used.

A number of years ago, I read an article talking about the issue. In it, there was a quote about a girl whose mother was living with her partner, asking if they loved each other. When her mother said yes, of course we do, the girl apparently asked her "then why don't you get married -- it's what people who love each other do."

There are people who probably find the thought that I consider myself to be a Christian appalling. I find the thought that the members of Westboro Baptist Church consider themselves to be Christians appalling. But neither opinion affects the other, does it.

Wendy P.

I find myself questioned for dissapproving of homosexuality because I am agnostic. Are only religous people allowed to dissapprove?
I find myself questioned for supporting gay rights even though I dissapprove of homosexuality.
Are not the two mutually exclusive?
But what really confuses me, and it has popped up in this thread, is that I can support 99.99% of what gays are trying to achieve....yet I am spit on because there is one small point that I disagree with.
Is supporting gays rights and all-or-nothing ideal?
HAMMER:

Is supporting gays rights and all-or-nothing ideal?

This thread is far too politically correct. Time to spice it up a little.

For the record I don't think homosexual people should be physically or verbally discriminated against, homosexual people should be allowed to form partnerships and should have some input to their partners healthcare if/when their partner becomes ill or gets hurt. But the idea of two men venturing down the "Hersey Highway" is gross I say. How can one guy stick his dick up another guy's ass. Gross ... :S

Back to your regular scheduled politically correct discussion.

PS: My comment was not directed at Belgian_Draft or any other specific contributor to this PC thread.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

There are people who probably find the thought that I consider myself to be a Christian appalling. I find the thought that the members of Westboro Baptist Church consider themselves to be Christians appalling.

But your life to me seems to resemble more of a christian than westboro, or even me for that matter...(even if I have more biblical insight.:P)

I believe we all play a certain role in christianity. Unfortunately however, many of us, though we may have the right interpretation of scripture, absolutely fail in it's application.

I always loved the verses that say you are saved by grace through faith and faith by hearing the word of God. Now though I believe that is true, I felt that all I have to do is just spit out a bunch of scripture and maybe someone will magically believe....but that has never worked, and that is not how I came to believe in the unbelievable. (though I certainly changed the lives of believers with the help of scripture.)

I did not come to believe by people spitting verses in my face or telling me I'm gonna go to hell.

I came to believe by the influence of christians who lived credible lives...and those loving people who lived credible lives lead me to an understanding and appreciation of the words of life...

Now to get back on topic...I don't think the problem is that people have discrepencies with using the word marriage to define gay unions. The problem I think is that many christians feel they are condoning something that they feel to be wrong, wether it be abortion or homosexuality...

Now many would say, well, why should they care...it's none of their business. You're probably right. But chistians in general live a struggle against sin everyday...it's not all rainbows and jelly beans in the land of Jesus. Most of us recognize everyday how short we fall from the glory of God. For many, this is very hard to accept...

To compensate, they look to find flaws in others..."Hey, look...there is a queer...I don't do that sin." It's as if they feel they are getting brownie points for pointing out and condemning sins that they themselves don't do.

This in all reality is the problem with religion...it makes people feel as though they can do something to mask or compensate for their own depravity. To believe this is to completely misunderstand our human depravity and to deny the grace and understanding of a loving and forgiving God.

To be honest, this is just human nature. There are many people who are just so dissatisfied with themselves, religious or not, who feel they have to berate someone else in order to feel better about themselves, wether it be their intelligence, spelling, grammar, occupation or religion in order to feel more worthy.

The bottom line is that homosexuality or abortion are not the greatest sins...what is the greatest sin? well, what is the greatest commandment?

The greatest commandment is to love the lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind...and if you understand what that really means, you'll admit that you can't keep that commandment for more than 5 minutes in you life!
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

It just does.

But thank God we've got good old-fashioned straight people like Charlie Sheen to protect the sanctity of marriage.

:P

Ya, um...what's the divorce rate now?

Even God practically gave up on marriage back in the day...haven't yall read scripture?
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...