Andy9o8

SCOTUS Allows Westboro Church to Protest Funerals

Note this is an 8-1 decision, spanning the full ideological spectrum of the Court, with the Court's opinion being issued by Chief Justice Roberts. The sole dissenter was Alito.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/02/westboro-baptist-church-w_n_830209.html

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/02/scotus.westboro.church/

"What Westboro said, in the whole context of how and where it chose to say it, is entitled to 'special protection' under the First Amendment," Roberts wrote, "and that protection cannot be overcome by a jury finding that the picketing was outrageous."

"Speech is powerful. It can stir people to action, move them to tears of both joy and sorrow, and -- as it did here -- inflict great pain. On the facts before us, we cannot react to that pain by punishing the speaker," the court's decision said.

Note this is an 8-1 decision, spanning the full ideological spectrum of the Court, with the Court's opinion being issued by Chief Justice Roberts. The sole dissenter was Alito.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/02/westboro-baptist-church-w_n_830209.html

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/02/scotus.westboro.church/

"What Westboro said, in the whole context of how and where it chose to say it, is entitled to 'special protection' under the First Amendment," Roberts wrote, "and that protection cannot be overcome by a jury finding that the picketing was outrageous."

"Speech is powerful. It can stir people to action, move them to tears of both joy and sorrow, and -- as it did here -- inflict great pain. On the facts before us, we cannot react to that pain by punishing the speaker," the court's decision said.

Andy

How do you think this might effect hate speach laws?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

these westboro people are smart and nut bags at the same time. The reaon they picket is not based on thier religious views but they do so for a source of income.
they hope that you will react to them and you will of course assult oneof them so they can sue you and get cash out of the deal. Its thier job! they need the shock value.. if people dont pay attention and leave them alone they will have to move on to something else. whats the saying about feeding the trolls?
www.greenboxphotography.com

"Speech is powerful. It can stir people to action, move them to tears of both joy and sorrow, and -- as it did here -- inflict great pain.

James 3:8
But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison.

James 3:6
The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.

...tell me about it, eh?

I really need to work on this stuff man...anybody wanna join me?
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Strictly off the top of my head, I think most, if not all, past laws that criminalized speech that is principally ideological, even if "hateful", (but not threatening to harm someone, or dangerous, like shouting "fire" in a crowded theater) have either been repealed or declared unconstitutional. (For example, in decades past, Communists, anarchists, etc. in the US were sometimes prosecuted under laws criminalizing "advocating the violent overthrow of the government". Eventually, though, such laws were declared unconstitutional.)

I'd think that any current state laws or local ordinances that restrict the raucous or disruptive expression of beliefs stand in jeopardy in view of this ruling. But it's really not such a new issue: every state has "disorderly conduct" laws, and many have laws or ordinances restricting parading without a permit, etc. Those types of laws have always had some degree of conflict with constitutional protected expression, and those conflicts often have to be resolved, on a case by case basis, by judges. I do think that laws targeted to "hateful speech", like "Death to all Swedes!", etc., even if shouted by demonstrators outside a Swedish social club in Minnesota, stand to be deemed unconstitutional.

Strictly off the top of my head, I think most, if not all, past laws that criminalized speech that is principally ideological, even if "hateful", (but not threatening to harm someone, or dangerous, like shouting "fire" in a crowded theater) have either been repealed or declared unconstitutional. (For example, in decades past, Communists, anarchists, etc. in the US were sometimes prosecuted under laws criminalizing "advocating the violent overthrow of the government". Eventually, though, such laws were declared unconstitutional.)

I'd think that any current state laws or local ordinances that restrict the raucous or disruptive expression of beliefs stand in jeopardy in view of this ruling. But it's really not such a new issue: every state has "disorderly conduct" laws, and many have laws or ordinances restricting parading without a permit, etc. Those types of laws have always had some degree of conflict with constitutional protected expression, and those conflicts often have to be resolved, on a case by case basis, by judges. I do think that laws targeted to "hateful speech", like "Death to all Swedes!", etc., even if shouted by demonstrators outside a Swedish social club in Minnesota, stand to be deemed unconstitutional.

Thanks
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

these westboro people are smart and nut bags at the same time. The reaon they picket is not based on thier religious views but they do so for a source of income.

They're also using it as blackmail. Too many radio talk show hosts are offering them an hour of air time to voice their views, if they'll agree not to protest at a military funeral. We should not be caving in to their tactics in that manner.

You should not brand all religions as evil because of the actions of the few Westboro Baptist folks.

True, but:

The Crusades

French Wars of Religion

Thirty Years War

Taiping Rebellion

The Inquisition

Islamic extremists

The list of evil things done in the name of 'god' is quite long and just keeps going.

I have no issue with a belief in a higher power... Just acting like a jackass because of it.

I'm thinking the freedom riders will start ramping up their efforts to put a buffer between the Westboro fuckfaces and the funerals. But for god's sake, don't call in the Hell's Angels for that job. There'll be bloodshed! :D

Actually, that might not be a bad thing after all.... :)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The list of evil things done in the name of 'god' is quite long and just keeps going.

Lot of the evils in the name of God were committed with guns. Why is it that you have a problem with the God part, but not a problem with the guns part?

I have no issue with a belief in a higher power... Just acting like a jackass because of it.

I have no problem with people having murderous tendencies. I just prefer they use a nerf ball in stead of a gun.

Having such a negative attitude about religion just hinders good people, doing good things in the name of God. Why are you against good people doing good things?

Lot of the evils in the name of God were committed with guns. Why is it that you have a problem with the God part, but not a problem with the guns part?

Really???? :S

One is a REASON for the ACTION, one is a METHOD.

Besides, I'd bet much more were killed with swords.... you for banning swords over that?

I have no problem with people having murderous tendencies. I just prefer they use a nerf ball in stead of a gun.

:S:S:S:S:S

Having such a negative attitude about religion just hinders good people, doing good things in the name of God. Why are you against good people doing good things?

You need to read twice, comment once.

"I have no issue with a belief in a higher power... Just acting like a jackass because of it."

Because your reply makes zero sense.

Faith and God can be good. Organized religion is often bad.

Seriously???

Yes. The Eldest Daughter of Rev Wright is the lead Attorney for most of the cases, they sue in Civil Court for Damages and Violation of Rights.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

***One is a REASON for the ACTION, one is a METHOD.

God is the reason for acting? I thought you didn't believe in God, therefor he could not be a reason for acting. I thought you believed in people being responsible for their own actions? If that is the case, you cannot blame God or religion for people's actions. Just as you cannot blame the guns.

>You should not brand all religions as evil because of the actions of the few Westboro
>Baptist folks.

JohnRich: "Muslim beliefs are central to their ideology which tells them to go out and kill others. They take it straight from their Koran. They are extremist beliefs, yes, but nevertheless beliefs shared by many Muslims. And it's not an independent strategy they came up with elsewhere, it comes from their religious ideology."

JohnRich: "What do all of these terrorist events have in common? MUSLIMS!"

JohnRich: "I'll be happy to honor any Muslims who speak out against murder and terrorism. As soon as I can find some of them..."

Pot, meet kettle.

Seriously???

Yep, serious.. see Matt Clines replay in this thread.. but they don't work. they set you off, get you to react and then sue you.. easy money for them.
www.greenboxphotography.com

Yes. The Eldest Daughter of Rev Wright is the lead Attorney for most of the cases, they sue in Civil Court for Damages and Violation of Rights.

Matt

One would think that the court would be free to award $1.00 damages. I'd think it would be hard for them to prove they had suffered any monetary damage by being forced to exercise their free speech rights from across the street.

Don

Matt

It is the Phelps family, not Wright, and I refuse to call someone who spews the hate they do Reverend.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Matt

It is the Phelps family, not Wright, ....

Correct. Several of Fred Phelps's children and children-in-law are attorneys; and that's basically Westboro's legal team.