kallend

Who do you believe on the economy?

The middle class will suffer. The stock market will rise.

So...drop the class, change your major to Stock Market. Core courses:
-Market Manipulation 101.
-Pocketing the Change I
-Dodging the Bullet
-How to Screw the Public and get Rich I, II, III, and IV

I just wish Wikileaks would focus more on this kind of shit here in the U.S. as opposed to the war crap.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I dunno, John. Tough call.

Warren Buffett led Berkshire Hathaway to lose 50% of its market capitalization between 2008-2009. Many estimate he lost as much of his own money as Madoff lost for investors.

Warren Buffett has a long history of brilliance and winners. Just like Al Davis.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

So...drop the class, change your major to Stock Market. Core courses:
-Market Manipulation 101.
-Pocketing the Change I
-Dodging the Bullet
-How to Screw the Public and get Rich I, II, III, and IV

I just wish Wikileaks would focus more on this kind of shit here in the U.S. as opposed to the war crap.

wikileaks is about leaks.
everyone knows the bailout screwed the taxpayers. no leak necessary.

>everyone knows the bailout screwed the taxpayers. no leak necessary.

As much as everyone likes to blame Bush, I don't think that was primarily his fault. The natural cyclic nature of the economy, combined with a pretty severe housing bubble, was the cause of most people's pain.

Meanwhile, the market has already surpassed its starting point before the 2008 meltdown and those of us who weren't looking for monsters under the bed came out better than we started.

I am doing better now than before the meltdown. I did have some job issues, but I am now making more than I was before as well.

Buffet said: Be greedy when others are fearful, and fearful when others are greedy.

Right now, in my group, they are outsourcing the employees jobs.

I believe in capitalism and free markets, but this globalization trend we have seen the last 10-20 years is nothing like we have ever seen before. Professions that were once seen as safe and good here in North America (I assume in Europe as well) are leaving and relocating to places like China and India. Economies are cyclical they go up and down. But the world is changing and if people are not willing to adapt and reinvent themselves, they will be left behind.

One thing I noticed this week from the crap going on in Libya is rather interesting. There are thousands of migrant workers from Asia who were in Libya to work. Now that the country is in turmoil, businesses are suspending their operations and they have left these migrant workers to hang out to dry and fend for themselves. Plus the Asia countries these migrant workers come from could careless about their people. These people have no work, no money and no country. They are at the mercy of the Libyans. Presently it looks like the Libyans are feeding them, but what happens when that stops?

If people are unwilling to adapt to an ever changing world, they will be left behind. People who expect a job for life complete with full benefits and full pensions are living in the past. People who think what worked for them 10-20 years ago also need to wake up. The globalized economy could careless about what you did in the past and could careless about what country you call home. What happens on Wall Street and what happens on Main Street are completely unrelated. Wall Street walks to a completely different beat. It's hard for a capitalist and free market believe to say this, but Wall Street only cares about one thing and that is Wall Street. Wall Street could careless about Main Street.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I wonder...how much of that "better off than my parents" includes products and services that were not available to them?
For example, we're better off because we, as a nation, have better medical expertise available.

I am willing to bet that you don't work as much as your parents did either. And I bet you have more toys than your parents did as well.

I know in every possible parameter I am doing better than my parents, and that they did better than my grandparents.

People who think what worked for them 10-20 years ago also need to wake up.

As John McCain told the auto workers, "those jobs aren't coming back." (honest, but political suicide)

That goes for the electronics in Japan, the textiles in Central America, steel in Pittsburgh, and whatever is next.

For a while, it was probable that the tanker airplane
contract was going overseas. (our military dollars enriching overseas builders)

That is the problem. There is no job that cannot be
outsourced, and they won't come back.

There is some theory that the economy will grow from
jobs creation. What industry are these new jobs coming from ?

Some autoworker jobs were saved by import quotas.
Unfortunately, no such controls were applied to H1-B visas.

I am wondering if any college degree is worth the cost now.

>Unfortunately, no such controls were applied to H1-B visas.

If we get to the point where the only way inferior US grads can get jobs is that we restrict the ability of better-educated foreigners to get the same jobs, we're doomed anyway. Imagine how competitive a US company composed of "affirmative foreign policy action" US employees will be compared to a Chinese company with better educated, harder working engineers.

Prostitution would be hard to outsource to China. So would janitorial services. Police and fire services come to mind, too.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Unfortunately, no such controls were applied to H1-B visas.

If we get to the point where the only way inferior US grads can get jobs is that we restrict the ability of better-educated foreigners to get the same jobs, we're doomed anyway. Imagine how competitive a US company composed of "affirmative foreign policy action" US employees will be compared to a Chinese company with better educated, harder working engineers.

The exact same job. The exact same skill set.

In the current case, employee jobs in my group were
recently outsourced to an Indian software consulting company. They were promised 5 year contracts.

Interestingly enough, this week, they posted an opening
in our group for a rate at 40% of the employees current rate.

I suspect the former employees will be losing their jobs
because of "poor performance" at their first review.

These are the technical leads with 5+ years of experience
with the platform and they designed the software product.
The argument that is always raised is skill sets.
It has always been bullshit.

That is why Indian companies, who have contracts, sub-contract to Chinese companies now. The Chinese rate is 60% of the Indian one.

>In the current case, employee jobs in my group were recently outsourced
>to an Indian software consulting company.

You're talking apples and oranges. H1-B visas are visas that (for example) Indian students get when they want to come to the US to work here, for US companies. That's sort of the opposite of a company outsourcing something to India.

Want to keep US companies a bit more competitive? Increase the number of H1-B visas so US companies can employ people here in the US, and not have to outsource their work to companies overseas.

Does that mean that an IIT grad might be willing to work for cheaper, and get the job in place of an equally trained US grad who demands more money? You bet. And again, that's one way to keep the US competitive.

Prostitution would be hard to outsource to China. So would janitorial services. Police and fire services come to mind, too.

Boobies are always in demand.
out soucing that is easy

It happens every day.

Ask Amazon, she'll explain every thing you need to know
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

The sex slave trade is full of Chinese and other Asians being shipped here. This is outsourcing.

The sex slave trade is full of Chinese and other Asians being shipped here. This is outsourcing.

I'd call it "insourcing".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'd call it "insourcing".

I'd call it the "in and out" - sourcing.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun