SpeedRacer

Former MADD head arrested for DWI

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Isn't a brand name for some kind of birth control?;)
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

A lot can happen in the over 10 years since she was a chapter MADD president.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

What could happen that it is now alright for her to drink and drive at 3 X the limit. Alot can happen I agree, but that doesn't make it ok.

It's not that it's okay, but people are human. People have problems and they screw up. I hope she gets things straightened out in her life.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

It's not that it's okay, but people are human. People have problems and they screw up. I hope she gets things straightened out in her life.

a .10 is a screwup. a .24 is a willful act, and she's lucky she got pulled over for merely drifting in lanes.

0.10 is like drinking at a party and then driving. That's screwing up. But aside from something like a frat house shot-drinking contest, 0.24 is so hammered that few people who are not alcoholics have the tolerance to reach it before either vomiting or passing out.

For a woman weighing in the 140-160 lb range, that's roughly 7-9 drinks, fairly closely-spaced together.

http://www.bloodalcohol.info/female-blood-alcohol-level-chart.php

A .10 bac is not an accident. Take it from someone who was involved in a controlled drinking exercise to assist law enforcement training to operate breathalyzers: a .08 is no accident. The trainer measured the alcohol intake, and stopped each of us at a certain level. BAC of .04 is feeling buzzed to where a reasonable person won't drive. A.08 is fucked up. Alcoholics may feel it less, but their perception judgment and reaction time is just as affected as someone who's never consumed alcohol before. Like you said though, non-alcoholics can't even get to a .24 without endangering their lives, or function enough to walk to the car, let alone drive it.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

First off, I am 100% against drinking and driving. If I drink at all, even one drink, I flat just do not drive. The simple fact that she was Pres. of MADD for part of her life and then got a DUI at three times the legal limit is what pisses me off. In my book that makes her a hypocritical bitch.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

First off, I am 100% against drinking and driving. If I drink at all, even one drink, I flat just do not drive. The simple fact that she was Pres. of MADD for part of her life and then got a DUI at three times the legal limit is what pisses me off. In my book that makes her a hypocritical bitch.

Well it's been ten years and a lot happens in a lot less time than that. You only have to screw up once for real consequences. I'm not so ready or so quick to throw words like "hypocrite" around either, it's overused and usually in a malicious context.

I am glad the cops got her off the road. Driving at 0.24 suggests a real problem that's been going on for quite some time. Now it's time for her to QUIT and I hope she can find the inner strength to do it. In the meantime, thank God that nobody got hurt, or killed.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Hypocrite: A person who pretends to be what they are not; one who pretends to be better than he really is, or to be pious vituous, etc., without really being so.

Somewhat like a legislator in our state who in the early part of this legislative session was pulled over with an open beer in his lap while at the same time pushing for tougher DUI laws. Hypocrite. Thje only good thing about that event was that he resigned.

Maybe the ten years between her being pres. of MADD and her DUI exempts her from hypocritcal. At least it didn't happen during her term. Now she is eligible to be pres. of DAMM. (Drunks Against Mad Mothers).

Bottom line is like you said. Thank God the cops got her off the road and nobody was killed.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

A.08 is fucked up.

c'mon dude...seriously?

Yes, seriously - there is a measurable decrease in coordination.

agreed...but "fucked up" is a pretty serious charge.

MADD lobbied for the 0.08 based off of statistics taken for accidents where the driver was impaired. It had nothing to do with measurements of the actual coordination differences between 0.08 and 0.10.

It was considered internally a step towards 0.00 legislation that many of the MADD national leaders had set as their goal at the time.

When the organization became of the abolitionist mindset, the founder of the movement quit and went to work for the liquor lobby. That should say a lot right there.

When my wife worked for MADD, and they had company dinners, I enjoyed having them buy me scotch. At one dinner the manager asked "who had liquor?" I raised my hand. She then asked "who else, there are 2 doubles on the tab" I raised my hand again "they were both me". (I wasn't driving) I got some "interesting" looks from people after that.
--
Rob

A.08 is fucked up.

c'mon dude...seriously?

Yes, seriously - there is a measurable decrease in coordination.

agreed...but "fucked up" is a pretty serious charge.

Yes, seriously. Yes, it's a serious charge. And yes, it's true. Anyone with a .08 BAC has no business doing anything that requires the exercise good judgment, perception, or reaction time. Driving, shooting, jumping, administering medical care, operating machinery, etc.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with a person drinking themselves into a stupor, but they need to avoid doing things that put others' lives at risk while impaired.

A person who does not drink regularly is three sheets to the wind, stumbling around, insensate at .08 BAC. In other words, they are fucked up. A person who drinks everyday may show fewer signs of their impairment at .08, but that doesn't change how impaired they are. They suffer all the same effects. They may be able to pretend they are not drunk, but they are just as fucked up as the first time drinker at .08 BAC.

Have you ever been tested for BAC while consuming alcohol? Have you ever read the scientific journals or been involved in studies? If not then you are guessing and have nothing to refute my statement beyond your "feelings."
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I guess I read "fucked up" as in listening to someone holding on to the wall to keep from falling down, saying "man, I'm really fucked up."

Just a reflection of how drunk they are, not on their condition of humanity.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>What could happen that it is now alright for her to drink and drive at
>3 X the limit.

Or she could have become an out of control alcoholic and quit her position with MADD to avoid that impossible situation. If that's the case, that's sort of the opposite of hypocritical.