mnealtx

H.R. 822, 'National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011’

From the library of congress.

We can go this route, or wait for challenges to every gun control law to go through the courts. Personally I prefer taking both tracks. The first problem with this law is that there is no penalty written into it for states not honoring it (and states are ignoring federal law more and more often). Plus, apparently the current president has decided that he can just not enforce any law he doesn't like, so there will be no other repercussions.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I'm divided on this one. First, I would love it if my permit had to be honored in states like MA, NY, CA, IL. On the other it could be a real pain in the ass to carry in those places. They can always find "reasons" to "detain" you even with a valid permit. Second, I'm not totally persuaded that the Feds should trump the states on this issue. The more control you give the Feds, the more they want. If this bill even makes it past committee to the floor, every pol and his cousin will want to attach things to it. It will probably open the door for the Feds to regulate (register) handguns. Just thinkin out loud.

On the other it could be a real pain in the ass to carry in those places. They can always find "reasons" to "detain" you even with a valid permit.

They could do the same with a DL.

Second, I'm not totally persuaded that the Feds should trump the states on this issue.

The 2nd is in the BoR. The Constitution SHOULD trump the States... think 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 13, 15, 19, 24.... Why should the 2nd be any different?

It will probably open the door for the Feds to regulate (register) handguns.

They already do that by not erasing the NICS records as required by law.

I'm curious. Does a NICS check require the Serial Number of the gun being purchased or is it just a check to see if the individual is a prohibited person.

It will probably open the door for the Feds to regulate (register) handguns.

They already do that by not erasing the NICS records as required by law.

I'm curious. Does a NICS check require the Serial Number of the gun being purchased or is it just a check to see if the individual is a prohibited person.

It includes the make, model, serial number, type of weapon (handgun, rifle, etc), and caliber/gauge.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I'm divided on this one. First, I would love it if my permit had to be honored in states like MA, NY, CA, IL. On the other it could be a real pain in the ass to carry in those places. They can always find "reasons" to "detain" you even with a valid permit.

Concealed means concealed. Know the state laws and follow them, but if they know you have a gun, you've already screwed up.

It includes the make, model, serial number, type of weapon (handgun, rifle, etc), and caliber/gauge.

Not true.

The 4473 includes all of that information. But the NICS check only includes the persons information and "Pistol, Rifle, Receiver".

They will respond with, "Approved, Disapproved, or Pending" or request more information (Such as a unique personal identification number).

The NICS has 3 days to get back to the FFL or the transaction is allowed to continue, but the FFL can refuse to continue if they wish.

So they could know the NUMBER and TYPE (Rifle/Pistol/Receiver) of items you bought, but to find out any more information would require a visit to the dealer to look at the 4473's.

I'm divided on this one. First, I would love it if my permit had to be honored in states like MA, NY, CA, IL. On the other it could be a real pain in the ass to carry in those places. They can always find "reasons" to "detain" you even with a valid permit.

Concealed means concealed. Know the state laws and follow them, but if they know you have a gun, you've already screwed up.

In my state if you are contacted by a LE you are required to present your permit along with your DL and tell them whether you are carrying or not.
My opin was with that context in mind.