Apple Apparently Making Effort to Hinder Competition - Buying Up All Available Touch-Screens, Story Says

I've always thought that Steve Jobs is a douchebag, cut from the same cloth as his major rival in the US IT biz.

However, Jobs and his company appear to be taking the unprecedented step of hindering competition in the market they all but created (touch tablet), by cornering the market on touchscreens.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I've always thought that Steve Jobs is a douchebag, cut from the same cloth as his major rival in the US IT biz.

However, Jobs and his company appear to be taking the unprecedented step of hindering competition in the market they all but created (touch tablet), by cornering the market on touchscreens.

mh

We don't have any added delays with our touch screen products...
Remster

Mfgr ordering large quantities of parts for a product they expect to ship in large quantities?
How is this news?:S

Now if they were buying up parts they could not use, just to keep them off the market, that would be news.

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Mfgr ordering large quantities of parts for a product they expect to ship in large quantities?
How is this news?:S

Now if they were buying up parts they could not use, just to keep them off the market, that would be news.

I think it (the buy-up strategy) serves both purposes simultaneously. I am reminded of Standard Oil in the 19th Century. One can avoid the Sherman Act by undermining rivals via indirect methods, such as Barriers to Entry; e.g., preventing the ability of competitors to access a critical resource while ensuring unfettered access to it for your own company's benefit, for example. This does not serve the public's best interests.

mh

Except that's not what it says. It says Apple has control over 60 percent of the touch screen manufacturing market which makes perfect sense if you consider how much sales they do.

True, yet it also has the effect of raising barriers to entry to the market, keeping prices for their own products artificially high, and stifling competition, all simultaneously. Who benefits from that except Apple?

mh

Nice job with the sensationalism. National Enquirer needs YOU!

"It's no secret that Apple, which sold more than 14 million iPads last year and could see sales of more than 45 million in 2011, hedges its bets by ordering components it needs in massive quantities, ahead of demand. "
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Except that's not what it says. It says Apple has control over 60 percent of the touch screen manufacturing market which makes perfect sense if you consider how much sales they do.

True, yet it also has the effect of raising barriers to entry to the market, keeping prices for their own products artificially high, and stifling competition, all simultaneously. Who benefits from that except Apple?

Oh, I dunno... maybe the touchscreen manufacturers?

...particularly those that stay up with the latest processes and technology.

True, yet it also has the effect of raising barriers to entry to the market, keeping prices for their own products artificially high, and stifling competition, all simultaneously. Who benefits from that except Apple

I don't know that Apple, or any other corporation, is in business to benefit their competitors.

You bought an Xbox? How dare you! I couldn't get one because YOU bought one. Shame on you!
:S:S:S

You sure get upset about a lot of trivial stuff, don't you.

If this bothers you, be glad you didn't live during WWII when many materials were being bought up by the gooberment.

One wonders how many of the nay-sayers in this thread are unbiased, and are being objective. I know Quade's not. Anyone else? Edit to add - I am not unbiased (no one is), but I'm not an Apple detractor (aside from the BS DRM schemes). If you look back in this forum, you should see both praise and criticism for Apple. For example, I think the iPod and iPad are amazing products, but I don't like the strings they come with.

mh

One wonders how many of the nay-sayers in this thread are unbiased, and are being objective. I know Quade's not. Anyone else?

I don't happen to own any shares of Apple if that's what you mean.

Look, I just think you're jumping to the conclusion of malice awful quickly. This sounds like supply chain management 101.

One wonders how many of the nay-sayers in this thread are unbiased, and are being objective. I know Quade's not. Anyone else?

I don't happen to own any shares of Apple if that's what you mean.

Look, I just think you're jumping to the conclusion of malice awful quickly. This sounds like supply chain management 101.

the IT supply world is full of boom and busts, and dominance by a single customer. A few years back, Apple was buying up all the flash memory for Nanos. Now the supply is incredible.

One wonders how many of the nay-sayers in this thread are unbiased, .

It's unfortunate that Apple was mentioned at all.
This issue of buying up stock could apply to any company.

Well, except for those that bought into the JIT concept.

One wonders how many of the nay-sayers in this thread are unbiased, and are being objective. I know Quade's not. Anyone else? Edit to add - I am not unbiased (no one is), but I'm not an Apple detractor (aside from the BS DRM schemes). If you look back in this forum, you should see both praise and criticism for Apple. For example, I think the iPod and iPad are amazing products, but I don't like the strings they come with.

mh

I have to agree with popsjumper. Based on past sales and future sales of the ipad, they are going to need all the touch screens they can get.

I own a couple of Apple products my self. They work great. If only there was more compatibility between apple and microsoft. No matter what you think of Jobs as a human being, he is a genius.

You can't blame a guy for wanting to make sure his supply keeps up with the demand.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything