dreamdancer

Why It's Not a 'Safe Bet' to Believe In God

You might do well to wait for him to reply rather than tell us what you think know he said. Who knows, maybe both of us are wrong and he meant something else entirely.

OK, let me set the record straight.

16 Mar 81: The Holy Spirit said to me, "Why don't you try Jesus? You've tried everything else.".

so, an unidentified voice in your head - next

You realise that you (and Jakee) are doing exactly what so many people get upset with Christians and Muslims about? You are trying to evangelise or convert Ron.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

You realise that you (and Jakee) are doing exactly what so many people get upset with Christians and Muslims about? You are trying to evangelise or convert Ron.

Convert Ron? Might as well try and turn back the tide. No, I'm just pointing out the flaws in his arguments. Is there any reason why, on this particular subject only, people should be able to say stuff that doesn't make any sense and have it go unchallenged?

I think if I did decide to go around evangelising at people I'd probably do something like become a counsellor. I'd probably have quite the success rate if I was able to prey on the most psychologically vulnerable members of society, and make them believe the only way of escaping their situation was to accept the truth of what I was peddling.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Is there any reason why, on this particular subject only, people should be able to say stuff that doesn't make any sense and have it go unchallenged?

I think it is because belief is personal to many people. I seriously doubt that you go correcting the flaws in the argument supporting Father Christmas to kids - it makes them happy and generally hurts no one else.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Is there any reason why, on this particular subject only, people should be able to say stuff that doesn't make any sense and have it go unchallenged?

I think it is because belief is personal to many people. I seriously doubt that you go correcting the flaws in the argument supporting Father Christmas to kids - it makes them happy and generally hurts no one else.

As jakee said, Ron is a professional counselor, and so his beliefs may actually hurt someone else. I would personally want to know that before receiving counselling, and then would look elsewhere. Similar (in my mind) to someone who was convinced they had been abducted by aliens. It may be very "real" to them, but most likely a hallucination of some sort.

As jakee said, Ron is a professional counselor, and so his beliefs may actually hurt someone else. I would personally want to know that before receiving counselling, and then would look elsewhere. Similar (in my mind) to someone who was convinced they had been abducted by aliens. It may be very "real" to them, but most likely a hallucination of some sort.

That is an interesting dilemma. Many counselors are religious (all religions). I am not sure where I stand on that although I suspect to quote the bible "remove the plank in your own eye before...". I don't see that a counselor needs to be perfect before helping damaged people.

That is an interesting dilemma. Many counselors are religious (all religions). I am not sure where I stand on that although I suspect to quote the bible "remove the plank in your own eye before...". I don't see that a counselor needs to be perfect before helping damaged people.

"Perfect" does not exist. But, as an atheist, I would have trouble receiving counselling from someone who believed that he had actually heard a voice talking to him. But yeah, perhaps another Christian could benefit from the experience?

I think if I did decide to go around evangelising at people I'd probably do something like become a counsellor. I'd probably have quite the success rate if I was able to prey on the most psychologically vulnerable members of society, and make them believe the only way of escaping their situation was to accept the truth of what I was peddling.

Counselors are not allowed to do that in the U.S. Those who try, in private practice, are usually found out and exposed. Social service programs strictly forbid counselor centered therapy. Therapy must be client centered to be ethical. Psychiatrists, on the other hand can peddle most anything, usually Rx meds.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

As jakee said, Ron is a professional counselor, and so his beliefs may actually hurt someone else.

Please see my post #183.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

You might do well to wait for him to reply rather than tell us what you think know he said. Who knows, maybe both of us are wrong and he meant something else entirely.

OK, let me set the record straight.

16 Mar 81: The Holy Spirit said to me, "Why don't you try Jesus? You've tried everything else.".

so, an unidentified voice in your head - next

just argueing my corner. ron doesn't have to be in the thread if he doesn't want to be...
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding