james309

EGYPT???

What's the opinion of Mubarrak?

He's probably feeling a bit uncomfortable. Probably uncertain about his future.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

By the time most Americans wake up on Friday, he'll probably either be dead or have committed mass murder.

What he should have done on Thursday was take a couple million in gold out of the bank, wave goodbye and hop on his jet to France.

Friday is not going to be pretty.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

"Egypt's military threw its weight Friday behind President Hosni Mubarak's plan to stay in office through September elections while protesters fanned out to the presidential palace in Cairo and other key symbols of the authoritarian regime in a new push to force the leader to step down immediately.

The statement by the Armed Forces Supreme Council — its second in two days — was a blow to many protesters who had called on the military to take action to push out Mubarak after his latest refusal to step down."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ml_egypt
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

By the time most Americans wake up on Friday, he'll probably either be dead or have committed mass murder.

What he should have done on Thursday was take a couple million in gold out of the bank, wave goodbye and hop on his jet to France.

Agreed. In the end we're not going to like who is in power.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

A little over dramatic I would say.

Granted I am NOT American (there must be something in your water), but this North American woke up and found neither one of your scenarios to be true. Yes people in Egypt are still unhappy, but no Mubarak is not dead nor has he committed mass murder as you alleged that he would.

Are you a little upset that your messiah, savior of the world was caught with his foot in his mouth yesterday?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

A little over dramatic I would say

Read the updates....

Update at 10:16 a.m. ET:Al-Jazeera TV reports that one person has died and 20 injured when a police station in north Sinai town of El-Arish came under small arms fire during protests.

Update at 10:08 am. ET: Reuters, quoting witnesses, reports 1,000 protesters in the north Sinai town of El-Arish have exchanged gunfire and tossed firebombs at a police station.

No more dangerous place to be as in Egypt right now. Didn't you hear the whooshing sound as the void opened up and every radical within 3 countries reach rushed in to take over?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

NPR news announced @ 1202 that Hosni Mubarak has resigned.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

NPR news announced @ 1202 that Hosni Mubarak has resigned.

I'm very happy Mubarak finally got smart and it ended peacefully.

I have a theory there was a conversation that went something like this:

Mubarak: "What if I don't want to resign?"
General: "Row 8, Plot 30."

:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

If Islamic extremists take control, they also get the Suez Canal - what's the rest of the world going to do about that?

By all accounts of what's going on right now, extremists (Muslim or otherwise) aren't going to be in control.

I think the bigger question is what happens if this turns out to be a completely peaceful transfer of power and turns into a true democracy for Egypt? Not so much for Egypt, but for the rest of the middle-eastern countries such as Saudi Arabia.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

If Islamic extremists take control, they also get the Suez Canal - what's the rest of the world going to do about that?

By all accounts of what's going on right now, extremists (Muslim or otherwise) aren't going to be in control.

I think the bigger question is what happens if this turns out to be a completely peaceful transfer of power and turns into a true democracy for Egypt? Not so much for Egypt, but for the rest of the middle-eastern countries such as Saudi Arabia.

Yes! It is not so much about oil and transport now. It is about unhappy people. Next might be other countries in North Africa, maybe South American countries and then the Chinese people. What a lighthouse Egypt has just given to the world, after Tunisia. The US might follow in 3 years after Obama has not been re-elected, just thinking. And yes: being Swiss you can always bash me with the proverb "it is easy to stink with full diapers..:"

Are you a little upset that your messiah, savior of the world was caught with his foot in his mouth yesterday?

Awwe, come on, Obama's supporters are immune to this by now, aren't they?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Friday is looking pretty good from where I'm sitting. I guess Muslims in the middle east can pull off a peaceful revolution after all. Well what d'ya know!
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Friday is looking pretty good from where I'm sitting. I guess Muslims in the middle east can pull off a peaceful revolution after all. Well what d'ya know!

I believe you meant "Almost".
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I'm very happy Mubarak finally got smart and it ended peacefully.

What follows in Mubarak's absence may well be very unpeaceful.

Nothing. It's too small for the big oil tankers anyway. This isn't 1956.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Invade, install a new government. Same as always.

But this time, we'll let the Eurotrash be the bad guys. The Suez under enemy control hurts them a lot more than us. They can do their own dirty work for a change.

Saudi Arabia is a much different society. IMHO that would be a ways down the road. Jordan or Syria could easily be next though.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"