Victory for Western Values, and the Limits of Tolerance

And yet some people still support many of the same things the Westboro Baptists do - the immorality of homosexuality, the denial of gay rights

Quite right, there is a whole lot of such intolerance in countries with names such as 'the Islamic republic of blah blah', the leadership of the Muslim faith in general. The big difference from the Westboro nuts is that Muslim intolerance and hatred is sanctioned by the political and religious leadership (actually the same leadership). That same type of leadership does have a significant presence in our American mosques. Nut job Christian leaders cannot even come close to having the same potential for doing harm.

In the USA, [non-PC term deleted] homosexuals have big street parades in which some of them suck each other's cocks in public (though probably just for shock value, I'll admit. If so, they are succeeding). And no, this is fact, not allegation or smear. I won't link to it - go look it up yourself.

Over here in the Gulf, however, they are hanged. See also Google link. See also LGBT Rights in KSA

Also, anectdotal evidence suggests that 75% of the rape cases treated in medical facilities in Bahrain are MALE.

So please tell me again, who's intolerant?

mh

edited to placate the PC Polizei
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

No, murder is a crime.

What makes it a crime? Can it be morality? Or humanity? Isn't forcing a woman to dress like a badminton birdie inhumane?

>Yes, this is ad absurdum, but the issue is this: where are the limits to tolerance?

Harm to others.

>Who decides?

We do.

What is the basis for it? Consensus? Or tradition? WHAT MAKES IT WRONG?

>Tolerance killed thousands on 9/11 . . .

That would be intolerance. Do you really think the terrorists went to their deaths chanting "we accept all that the US has to offer?" Or do you think they wished to destroy those they hated?

They perceived our tolerance as weakness. We encouraged them. Funny how there haven't been any successful attacks since then (aside from MAJ Hassan - oh, excuse me, but according to the liberal media, that wasn't an act of islamofascist fury - that would of course be intolerant)

>Today it's a funny dress, tomorrow it's Sharia. The time to stop it is NOW . .

Ah. So when will you start campaigning against people wearing crosses, that ancient religious symbol of torture and murder? And of course protesting any culture that does not allow both women AND men to bare their chests. Forcing women to wear traditional clothing based on religious mores today, Sharia tomorrow and all that.

Or are you more tolerant of those things?

The issue here, in my opinion, is what makes something acceptable to a society, versus unacceptable? Where does "morality" stem from? Who decides? The liberal media, it seems.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

>What makes it a crime?

The fact that we agreed on it.

>Isn't forcing a woman to dress like a badminton birdie inhumane?

Inhumane? No; we "force" people to wear far worse than that for some sports, and they don't suffer (or more accurately don't mind the suffering they do.) Unfair? Yes; it's unfair to require women to do that but not men. Of course, so is letting men bare their chests but not women. But that's "normal" to you so you think nothing of it.

>What is the basis for it? Consensus?

Strong and long-held consensus, yes.

>The issue here, in my opinion, is what makes something acceptable to a society,
>versus unacceptable? Where does "morality" stem from? Who decides?

Again, we do. Our system is set up so that we have to have an overwhelming consensus held for a long time to change our most basic laws (Constitution.) It's easier to change lesser laws, but still requires a majority (of people or their representatives.)

>The liberal media, it seems.

It's more interesting discussing things with you when you don't do the knee-jerk crap.

It's more interesting discussing things with you when you don't do the knee-jerk crap.

That's is so funny - that you can say that of others, and be serious!

It doesn't even occur to you that it applies to you, does it?

:S:D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

>The liberal media, it seems.

So in your opinion - Mainstream Media and Entertainment Media are not the driving force behind the degredation of morality in this country and others?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

queers

Glad we've identified another one of your bigotries.

edited to placate the PC Polizei

Too slow on the draw, I'm afraid. Papers, please.

Oh, BTW, "PC" is oft-employed by bigots as momma's apron-strings to hide behind.

Side Note:
Your new avatar makes me think, at first glance, that Stitch is posting in SC.

Queers: Has the same connotation as "Nigger" - it is OK for a queer to call another queer a queer, but it is evidently not OK for a straight guy to use the term "Queer" when referring to a queer guy. Evidently, national media isn't wholly on board with this as they had the word "Queer" in the title of a popular TV show.

So next you say, "He used it in a derogatory fashion." OK - replace the word "Queer" where he had it before the dit with White Guy, or Peanut, or Sassafrass Tea, is it still offensive? Then it wasn't offensive to begin with, unless you choose to be offended.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

>Mainstream Media and Entertainment Media are not the driving force behind the
>degredation of morality in this country and others?

No. Video games do not turn people into murderers. Rock and roll did not cause the 60's. Comic books do not lead to satanic worship. The media is a reflection of society, not vice versa.

But it's a nice fantasy. Control the media and you could control morality! A bunch of countries are trying just that. Not working for them, for some reason. Which is odd. After all, before mainstream mass media there was no degradation of morality anywhere; everyone was upstanding and moral.

>Mainstream Media and Entertainment Media are not the driving force behind the
>degredation of morality in this country and others?

No. Video games do not turn people into murderers. Rock and roll did not cause the 60's. Comic books do not lead to satanic worship. The media is a reflection of society, not vice versa.

But it's a nice fantasy. Control the media and you could control morality! A bunch of countries are trying just that. Not working for them, for some reason. Which is odd. After all, before mainstream mass media there was no degradation of morality anywhere; everyone was upstanding and moral.

So in your opinion mass media just made it easier to watch the degredation happen. It wasn't in any way a catalyst?

>So in your opinion mass media just made it easier to watch the degredation happen.

In a way, although your "degradation" is another man's freedom.

>It wasn't in any way a catalyst?

Not a catalyst so much as a homogenizer. We are much more interconnected than we were 50 years ago, and Utah is a lot more like LA than it ever was (and vice versa.)

>So in your opinion mass media just made it easier to watch the degredation happen.

In a way, although your "degradation" is another man's freedom.

>It wasn't in any way a catalyst?

Not a catalyst so much as a homogenizer. We are much more interconnected than we were 50 years ago, and Utah is a lot more like LA than it ever was (and vice versa.)

That is good - cuz i think that the LA Street gangs need to be helping the people of Utah out in their neighborhood watching.

>cuz i think that the LA Street gangs need to be helping the people of Utah out
>in their neighborhood watching.

Yep. And all the teenage girls in Salt Lake City really do need to be able to see Lady Gaga so they have some better role models.

>cuz i think that the LA Street gangs need to be helping the people of Utah out
>in their neighborhood watching.

Yep. And all the teenage girls in Salt Lake City really do need to be able to see Lady Gaga so they have some better role models.

Lest we forget that until the media - peple in LA couldn't teach people in Utah how to riot either.

The media is a reflection of society, not vice versa.

For Starters:

Lets get warmed up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Ehl24D4b0;)

tune in at 3:00 if you have no tolerance for this...

or 4:30 if you REALLY have no tolerance for this.

Actually, this is a much better, relevant song to prove you wrong Big B...

Sing for the Moment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfcZeLpWQsY&feature=related

I know it's rap, but I would really appreciate it if you all would listen/read the lyrics all the way through just so you know what your kids are listening to/feeling.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...