normiss

Isn't it illegal to carry a gun on school grounds?

BANG!
A SINGLE shot??? That's unpossible! Every time these things go down they fire a hundred shots from fully automatic weapons with magazines that should be outlawed!
We're going to need more guns. It's only California. Soon, everyone will be carrying. Shoot outs in the streets.
Surely someone knew this guy was going to snap someday.
Maybe we should just pass more laws.
[:/]

Obviously we need to include being "rude and grumpy" into the NICS disqualifiers, and make sure no one exhibiting such mental health issues ever buys or owns a gun. [/sarcasm]
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Yes...but only for those who choose to obey the law.

Judging from the school lunches I had as a kid, He should have used a hunk of mystery meat...legal and just as deadly.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

CA has every gun law the anti's want.... Yet it is clear that it didn't work.

A sign saying "no guns allowed" will not actually stop a criminal from going into the building with a gun.

I am sorry the principal was shot, but glad that the shooter only wanted to kill one person.

CA has every gun law the anti's want.... Yet it is clear that it didn't work.

A sign saying "no guns allowed" will not actually stop a criminal from going into the building with a gun.

Some on here continue to refuse this is actually true, there has to be a way to stop criminals from criminal weapon behavior.
At the cost of freedoms and rights.

There are many people in California who can carry a gun on school grounds. As of 2007, there were over 40,000 civilians (not law enforcement or retired law enforcement) who could do so legally. This guy wasn't one of them.

And, I am not in the least surprised that it was not one of these 40,000 people, because those people follow the law. This guy was a criminal, who broke the law...because that's what criminals do.

Yeah, more laws, more hoops for those 40,000 and all the other law abiding folks to jump through are going to do a whole lot of good, when what the guy did was ALREADY something he was not legally allowed to do.

sigh...

We're going to need more guns. It's only California. Soon, everyone will be carrying. Shoot outs in the streets.
Surely someone knew this guy was going to snap someday.
Maybe we should just pass more laws.
[:/]

Atleast most of the shootouts will be short, IIRC Cali limits concealed carries to 10 rounds mag capacity.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

There are many people in California who can carry a gun on school grounds. As of 2007, there were over 40,000 civilians (not law enforcement or retired law enforcement) who could do so legally. This guy wasn't one of them.

And, I am not in the least surprised that it was not one of these 40,000 people, because those people follow the law. This guy was a criminal, who broke the law...because that's what criminals do.

Yeah, more laws, more hoops for those 40,000 and all the other law abiding folks to jump through are going to do a whole lot of good, when what the guy did was ALREADY something he was not legally allowed to do.

sigh...

On what grounds can a person carry a concealed weapon? Just curious, because in good olde England we cannot even carry a concealed pea-shooter without risk of arrest!

sigh...

On what grounds can a person carry a concealed weapon? Just curious, because in good olde England we cannot even carry a concealed pea-shooter without risk of arrest!

If you are legally allowed to own a gun, you can get a carry permit in most states now
The reason can be your own

I get my permit for 40 some states the 26th of this month
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

sigh...

In jolly olde England...British subjects were once required to carry small arms. These were necessary to fulfill another requirement of all loyal British subjects. They were required to intercede when they witnessed illegal activity, such as a robbery. It was recognized that the police couldn't be everywhere. It was the responsibility of all loyal subjects to help uphold the rule of law. Sadly, England is no longer so jolly. IMO, this is in no small part a reason why.

You may hold a concealed-carry permit for sporting reasons: target shooting, hunting, etc... You may also hold one if you own a business, are responsible for carrying proceeds to the bank, or like uses. You may also get them if you work in security. The interpretations of our Second Amendment can vary greatly by state. In short, you have a right to defend yourself against lethal force. Further, you have a right to the means to do just that. Fear the government that fears your guns. You only disarm a populace for one reason. To control it.

sigh...

In most states here, you simply apply and pass a background check. In California, it's at the whim of the county sheriff (in addition to the background check), depending on what they consider "good cause". In some counties, you just say "I want to carry a concealed weapon for personal protection." And in other counties, you pretty much can't unless you're a prosecutor, judge, or celebrity (Los Angeles). You can get more information about California at www.calccw.com

Edit: Two states, Alaska and Vermont, I believe, do not require a permit at all.

People already answered the part you asked about concealed. Just wanted to add that in my state (Virginia) you can open carry without any permit. You can't open carry a semi-automatic with more than 20 rounds or a shotgun with more than seven rounds unless you have a concealed carry permit. much different gun laws over here.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

you pretty much can't unless you're a prosecutor, judge, or celebrity (Los Angeles).

everyone is equal - it's just that some are MORE equal than others

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Edit: Two states, Alaska and Vermont, I believe, do not require a permit at all.

and recently added was Arizona I believe.

Yes... and no...

"The key element in the new law is that a concealed carry permit is not necessary “unless required by any other law”. For example, to carry a concealed firearm in a restaurant, Arizona law requires that you have a concealed weapons permit. Similarly, federal law requires a state issued permit if you wish to carry concealed in a national park. Anyone wishing to carry a concealed firearm in another state will need an Arizona CCW permit in order to have reciprocal privileges outside of Arizona."

-AZccwpermit.com

So, according to the above website, yes, you can carry without a permit in some places in Arizona, but your life is a lot easier if you have one, and it's easy to get one. According to friends of mine who visit there, the restaurant thing can be a pain in the ass.

Yes... and no...

"The key element in the new law is that a concealed carry permit is not necessary “unless required by any other law”. For example, to carry a concealed firearm in a restaurant, Arizona law requires that you have a concealed weapons permit. Similarly, federal law requires a state issued permit if you wish to carry concealed in a national park. Anyone wishing to carry a concealed firearm in another state will need an Arizona CCW permit in order to have reciprocal privileges outside of Arizona."

-AZccwpermit.com

So, according to the above website, yes, you can carry without a permit in some places in Arizona, but your life is a lot easier if you have one, and it's easy to get one. According to friends of mine who visit there, the restaurant thing can be a pain in the ass.

Just a "fun" little fact about national parks and CCW. You can carry in the park but you cannot carry into the visitor center since it is a Federal Building and not part of the park. You know what else is a federal building? The shitter. Would suck to get busted carry while taking a dump :S Crazy thing I learned in my CCW class.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Just a "fun" little fact about national parks and CCW. You can carry in the park but you cannot carry into the visitor center since it is a Federal Building and not part of the park. You know what else is a federal building? The shitter. Would suck to get busted carry while taking a dump :S Crazy thing I learned in my CCW class.

In TX at least, as long as it's not a permanent structure, it's not considered a building. And as the feds have said that CHL in parks falls to local state law, I'd be fine if the shitter was a port-a-potty, or depending on the style, even some of the backwoods composting toilets. But the brick/morter shitter at the trailhead, yeah... not in there.
--
Rob

Obviously we need to include being "rude and grumpy" into the NICS disqualifiers, and make sure no one exhibiting such mental health issues ever buys or owns a gun. [/sarcasm]

Trust me on this one... Beating the shit out of someone in the airport in PHX will definitely get you:
1) Arrested
2) Revoked

And it doesn't matter if the asshole started the incident with physical contact and after repeated and polite requests to cease and desist, he knocked your coffee out of your hand. If you knock someone unconcious, they WILL revoke you. Funny thing about that is that I first permitted over 10 years ago, but I never needed one before that, and haven't since revocation. If I should need to use my weapon, I'll have much more to worry about than no permit, even in a justified encounter.

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

Yes... and no...

-AZccwpermit.com

The easy answer to that (The restaurant issue) is simply to move your firearm to an open cary position. Very common in AZ.

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."