kallend

Spelling is important.

Did yuo konw taht poelpe can comlptely mispleel alomst evrey word in a setence and stlil make their piont?

Somteimes I tihnk taht poelpe who sepnd so mcuh time crtiticzing ohters for their speleing are jsut looknig for raesons to make themsleves feel better abuot themsleves.

*edited for spelling*
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Way to justify your left wing arguing tactic. It all goes back to Saul Alinsky's "Rules for Radicals."

"Ridicule is man's most potent weapon."

When there is no good argument, attack the person. If you are able to reduce the man, you diminish the message. You see this all the time in the media. Barrack Obama mispronounces "Corpsman" and he is only human and anyone can make a mistake. Anyone on the right does it, they are a blithering idiot.

The left just can't stay on the subject at hand. Anything to distract from the actual issue. And they wonder why the mood has gotten so toxic.

Oh yea, I almost forgot, Alinsky's last rule-
"Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it."
"One acts decisively only in the conviction that all the angels are on one side and all the devils on the other."
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Did yuo konw taht poelpe can comlptely mispleel alomst evrey word in a setence and stlil make their piont?

Somteimes I tihnk taht poelpe who sepnd so mcuh time crtiticzing ohters for their speleing are jsut looknig for raesons to make themsleves feel better abuot themsleves.

*edited for spelling*

You are correct. There are people that will focus on trivial matters such as this. It helps to fuel their ego so they can feel superior. And of course it also points out how arrogant they can be. For an example, see the OP.

The illustrated guide to a Ph.D. :D

http://matt.might.net/articles/phd-school-in-pictures/

The decade of the 80's was from 1980 to 1989. 10 years. If you remove 1980 and 1989 you have 1981 to 1988. 8 years.

*edited for spelling*

You are correct. There are people that will focus on trivial matters such as this. It helps to fuel their ego so they can feel superior. And of course it also points out how arrogant they can be. For an example, see the OP.

The illustrated guide to a Ph.D. :D

http://matt.might.net/articles/phd-school-in-pictures/

The decade of the 80's was from 1980 to 1989. 10 years. If you remove 1980 and 1989 you have 1981 to 1988. 8 years.

It must really bother you that so many parents pay lots and lots of money to have people with PhDs educate their children.

(I see you still have trouble counting to 10.)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I was going to say the same thing, but you beat me to it.

Let he/she who has never made a spelling mistake in their life cast the first stone.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

It must really bother you that so many parents pay lots and lots of money to have people with PhDs educate their children.

(I see you still have trouble counting to 10.)

And here it is. The "I really don't have a come back so I'll call this guy a blithering idiot" response.

No one is saying that an education, spelling and grammar are not important. Sometimes though, when important issues are being discussed, the ADHD members of the group allow the less important things overshadow the more important things.

"The financial crisis isn't what's important here, spelling is!!!!"
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Quite the opposite. I would prefer everyone get a higher education. I do have a college degree. My only problem comes when someone with the higher education uses it to belittle people in a vain attempt to make themselves feel superior, such as yourself.

So many of your post are filled with responses that show your over inflated ego and arrogance. Of course you will not see that because your ego will not allow you to see what so many others can see. Very unfortunate.

Instead of wasting time putting people down for spelling mistakes, use that time to better yourself. You may find that you will not be as angry as you appear to be.

The left just can't stay on the subject at hand. Anything to distract from the actual issue. And they wonder why the mood has gotten so toxic.

Oh, was that it?

So it wasn't anything to do with the 'with us or against us' rhetoric, the labelling of any opponents as un-american, anti-american, communist or muslim. No, it was the spelling and grammar slams.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Quite the opposite.

It obviously DOES bother you, as your posting history shows.:P

Here's something else to bother you.

Spelling IS important.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Spelling IS important.

Virtually everyone at my place of work has at least a master's degree, but you still see plenty of typos and misspellings when it comes to informal (i.e. internal) communication such as e-mails and whatnot. If I, say, fat-finger a decimal point I'll generally make fun of my own mistake whether it's me that catches it or the recipient. This is especially fun if running with the mistake would have had absurd or catastrophic consequences.

When it comes to formal communications you get all the technical information down, and then you spit-shine. You can't give a technical lecture to customers, write a white paper, submit a proposal, or write a spec for a subcontractor that has typos and misspellings in it. It would be embarrassing because those kind of mistakes suggest haste, and you can't do that if you're trying to convince someone that you're speaking with authority and that they can trust you to sweat the details so they don't have to.

This doesn't have that much to do with what letters we put before or after our names.

dropzone.com is not a peer-reviewed journal of politics, and there is really no expectation that arguments presented here are in any way polished. So if a typo or misspelling creates a malapropism then laugh at yourself and encourage others to laugh with you, but don't shrug off what might be a piece of a good thought just because you attribute an inappropriate level of formality to the venue.

In one of my educational misadventures I spent a semester at Warnbourgh (sp?--no joke!) College in Oxford, England. (No relation to Oxford University, although the professors were also Oxford dons.) There I learned, to my astonishment, that the spelling and pronunciation of many common English words was changed arbitrarily in the Elizabethan Age by scholars who were attempting to convince their contemporaries on the Continent that the origin of English was Greek and Latin. For example, "wife" and "knife" originally had two syllables; the "kn" came to be pronounced as "n" to connect it with Greek where no such connection existed. In fact, in the original Anglo-Saxon, every letter in the word "knight" was pronounced. Thus the very great advantage of having letters that represented sounds was thrown out the window for the sake of the ego of some scholars, making the current English language unnecessarily difficult. Shakespeare lampooned this trend in "Love's Labour's Lost". Thus, in English, spelling is a convention, nothing more. And worse, many of these conventions are foolish.

Please excuse my misspellings.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Quite the opposite.

It obviously DOES bother you, as your posting history shows.:P

Spelling IS important.

I rest my case. Thanks for proving my point.

Oh, was that it?

So it wasn't anything to do with the 'with us or against us' rhetoric, the labelling of any opponents as un-american, anti-american, communist or muslim. No, it was the spelling and grammar slams.

It's all a part of it. Any lawyer will tell you, if you can't punch a hole in the argument, punch a hole in his credibility.

Here in Speakers Corner, that's done by pointing out spelling and grammar errors.

In the real world, it goes like this against republicans:
http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/bushquotes/a/dumbbushquotes.htm

And the same web site when using the same search parameters will have these as examples for democrats:
http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/barackobama/a/obama-quotes_2.htm

Strange how none of his foot-in-mouth moments are caught.

Like I said, when the facts don't go your way, start attacking the person.

"1981 to 1988 is 7 years"-Kallend (oops, it's actually 8 years,Kallend)

1981 to 1988 is 7 years. If you want 8 years you would need to state "1981 through 1988".
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

1981 to 1988 is 7 years. If you want 8 years you would need to state "1981 through 1988".

or you could say 1981-1988, inclusive.

Or one could actually read for context (Reagan Administration) and not drag out the obvious over a semantics concern.

or you could say 1981-1988, inclusive.

Or one could actually read for context (Reagan Administration) and not drag out the obvious over a semantics concern.

No such context is given in his sig line. Therefore, fair game.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

>Or one could actually read for context (Reagan Administration) and not
>drag out the obvious over a semantics concern.

Given that he puts it at the end of every one of his posts specifically to ridicule another poster, and given that he is actually incorrect - not so much about context anymore.

>Or one could actually read for context (Reagan Administration) and not
>drag out the obvious over a semantics concern.

Given that he puts it at the end of every one of his posts specifically to ridicule another poster, and given that he is actually incorrect - not so much about context anymore.

sure, at this point it's a pissing match. But it's a two sided pissing match since Kallend won't let go of it either.