tkhayes

more guns less crime

Yes, I own quite a number of long guns, and I have been shooting since I was 6 years old. competition target, trap, skeet, high-calibre, lots of hunting over the years.

That does not mean that I do not believe this country has a serious gun problem, nor does it mean that I agree with gun registration as done in Canada (an assumption here that many like to make of course)

Claiming that crime will stop, if you wave your magical wand and sprinkle the 'no guns' fairy dust everywhere is, as illustrated, a fantasy.

Claiming that crime will stop, if you wave your magical wand and sprinkle the 'EVERYONE HAS A GUN' fairy dust everywhere is, as illustrated, a fantasy.

Claiming that crime will stop, if you wave your magical wand and sprinkle the 'no guns' fairy dust everywhere is, as illustrated, a fantasy.

Claiming that crime will stop, if you wave your magical wand and sprinkle the 'EVERYONE HAS A GUN' fairy dust everywhere is, as illustrated, a fantasy.

how about we enforce the laws we have. And those that choose to have a firearm may have a firearm. (within the limits of the current laws as stated in my first sentence)

no preventing law abiding citizens from owning them, no forcing people to own one (even though crime in the "every home must have a gun" city experiments is way below average, I believe that has more to do with the social makeup of the populous not the guns present)
--
Rob

Nobody's made that claim, unlike your example.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yes, I own quite a number of long guns, and I have been shooting since I was 6 years old. competition target, trap, skeet, high-calibre, lots of hunting over the years.

That does not mean that I do not believe this country has a serious gun problem, nor does it mean that I agree with gun registration as done in Canada (an assumption here that many like to make of course)

Ah hah, got it. ;)
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

actually that claim has been made many times inside and outside of DZ.com, if you would bother to search....perhaps not by yourself, but by many others.

I don't recall EVER hearing a claim that there would be no crime if everyone was armed, either here on DZ-dot or outside of it. What I *have* seen claimed is that it would make the criminals think twice, which has been borne out by several DOJ studies.

There *have* been decreases in crime rates after easement of gun control laws - DC in the last year come to mind. Whether that is solely due to the relaxation, I cannot say.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Dave
I feel this is more of an example of what the real problem is in this country
And it has nothing to do with guns

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/queens/worker-hurt-in-fight-with-teens-at-wendys-in-queens-20110124#
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I really doubt anyone has said that if everyone had a gun there would be no crime. What a number of people have said is that when people are armed, criminals are more likely to reconsider their targets. In a number of places that have relaxed gun laws, violent crime has dropped and property crime has risen. It's not exactly a reduction in crime, but it's a trade I'll take.

More importantly, we can't control what another person is or is not going to do. If someone wants to attack you with a deadly weapon, there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. We can't prevent it in prisons, we can't prevent it in courtrooms, we can't prevent it in public, and we can't prevent it in our own homes. Those are the facts of life. The question is what are you going to do about it. I chose to prepare myself for violent encounters, should tehy occur. I also chose to seek professional training in diffusing potentially violent encounters and dealling with mentally disturbed people.

Along those same lines, while we can't prevent others from committing crimes against us, we can react in the most effective manner to stop that crime or to reduce its intensity and severity. A good example is that when a nutjob walks into a building firing a shotgun and means to kill people, armed folks shoot back and kill him. It's much better than not being armed. Do you disagree that return fire limited the number of victims and the severity of injuries to the victims?

Finally, and as you yourself enjoy firearms I'd hope you agree, I don't see any value in the government creating prohibitions against firearms. I also don't see any value in government registering firearms.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Ok - So now, guns won't help prevent crime, but you can't stop criminals from getting guns. You can't stop crime by making more laws when you can't enforce the laws you have as accurately as the public would wish you to. That being said - Guns are bad, but you like to be able to have them.

Does that about sum it up for you?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>more guns less crime

Less cities more moving people

outlaw ovaries = less abortion?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

No one has made any such claim. The only claim gun owners make is that they'll be able to defend themselves when criminals do strike. And the story you provided is a perfect example of that.

With your news story, you not only disproved your own anti-gun theory, and you proved the pro-gun theory.

>more guns less crime

Less abortion doctors = More non liscened abortions
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

>more guns less crime

More non licensed abortions= Fewer nut cases being born

So by your analogy and expanding - the world should end so thta we have no more nut cases.

http://www.whtc.com/news/articles/2011/jan/24/detroit-police-station-shooting/

One case where more guns did nothing to lessen the crime from happening.

Following your logic I suppose we should ban the cops from carrying guns.

Everyone except the criminals!
GET ON BOARD ALREADY!

>more guns less crime

More non licensed abortions= Fewer nut cases being born

So by your analogy and expanding - the world should end so thta we have no more nut cases.

Makes as much sense as the OP does....

GET ON BOARD ALREADY!

ohhhhhh...The OP wants Russia type controls....yeaaaa that works well for them...:S

>Following your logic I suppose we should ban the cops from carrying guns.

Exactly. The only two alternatives are to either give every felon and mental patient a handgun, or ban cops from carrying guns. There cannot possibly be any middle ground.

GET ON BOARD ALREADY!

ohhhhhh...The OP wants Russia type controls....yeaaaa that works well for them...:S

NYET way Comrad!

The only two alternatives are to either give every felon and mental patient a handgun, or ban cops from carrying guns. There cannot possibly be any middle ground.

That's how the debate is defined - and pretty much any other political/social issue. It makes it easier to defend the side one chooses (or is instructed to choose). Fun.

For example - you want lower taxes - response? "do you use roads and schools?"

For example - you want to allow fathers to have a say in their offspring - response? "you think forcible rape to perpetuate faulty genes is a good thing?"

For example - you think conservation is a good thing - response "you want people to live in caves and eat bark"

For example - you think environmental regulation is arbitrary and no value added - response "the world is going to end"

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Exactly. The only two alternatives are to either give every felon and mental patient a handgun, or ban cops from carrying guns. There cannot possibly be any middle ground.

I'm glad you didn't suggest I'd have to give up mine.