Kennedy

A Rocket Over The West Coast

Yep. Pretty soon they'll be taking them up in pieces. So, do astronauts need security clearances, or is that coming soon to a launch pad near you?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Yep. Pretty soon they'll be taking them up in pieces. So, do astronauts need security clearances, or is that coming soon to a launch pad near you?

Since a number of Shuttle launches were DoD only payloads, my guess is that almost all astronauts have reasonably high clearances already.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

this rocket crawled into space.

It only looks that way dues to scale issues. Rockets still have to reach the same speed to reach outer space.

but some take off much more quickly than others. This was a Delta IV - compare it to a Delta II

Right - those of us old enough remember the Saturn V launches - very slow initial takeoff and clearance of tower, as contrasted with the Shuttle which, by comparison, practically leaped off the launching pad once the SRBs lit.

Conspicuously absent from the Delta IV Heavy, Saturn V, Falcon 9, and Soyuz are solid fuel boosters and hypergolic fuels which is why they lumber off the pad as compared to the space shuttle, Atlas V, or the old Titan IV.

But what they lack in liftoff thrust to weight they make up for in efficiency and environmental friendliness.

From the link:

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE (CALIFORNIA), January 21, 2011
Classified satellite launched from California base

No details were released, but the 71.63-metre-tall rocket carried a payload for the U.S.' National Reconnaissance Office, which operates satellites that provide information to the Central Intelligence Agency and Department of Defence.
The largest rocket ever launched from the West Coast blasted off today with a classified defence satellite on board.

Reedink iz fundumentul.

Since it went up yesterday, I kinda doubt this was the "Chinese missile sub" sighting. As anyone without a tinfoil hat has figured out, that was just an everyday jetliner.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

this rocket crawled into space.

It only looks that way dues to scale issues. Rockets still have to reach the same speed to reach outer space.

Hmmm -

Doesn't that depend on the thrust to weight ration and angle?

I remember something about 7 miles per second - or 25000 miles per hour, being called "escape Velocity" but if you have enough thrust and stability, you can overcome the gravitational field inches ata time - it would just cost a LOT of fuel.

Think about a plane hanging on a prop.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun