kcogletree

Why we have Martin Luther King, Jr. day...

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit together at the table of brotherhood.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable... Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
O-kcsmm-aka-'tree
American Warchild

>Nope - that is not why we have this day.

We have it because Congress voted on it and Reagan signed it. It came about because of the examples set by Martin Luther King for nonviolent protest and the willingness to sacrifice to achieve one's goals for peace, civil rights and equality.

Thanks for the non-answer.

Why do you think this day is a federal holiday?

For the same reason Christmas is.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

We have MLK day for the same reason so many things are named JFK. :)

then why don't we have a KFC day?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Ooh! Ooh! Can I add a letter? I want a MILF day!B|
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

We have this holiday so that we can honor an American hero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbUtL_0vAJk

I agree.

Like I said - just for exactly the same reason we have a federal Christmas holiday.

:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

We have this holiday so that we can honor an American hero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbUtL_0vAJk

I agree.

Like I said - just for exactly the same reason we have a federal Christmas holiday.

:)

My question is why isn't Hanaukka a national holiday.:|

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit together at the table of brotherhood.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable... Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

we have it because Reagan wanted a political gain for giving people a day off
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

Colonel Sanders was not assassinated...
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

>My question is why isn't Hanaukka a national holiday.

Same reason Chrisuamas isn't.

It is though.:)

What's so frustrating about this day is the disproportionate attention assigned to King. Why is he the only American deserving of a holiday in his honor? Not to suggest his message wasn't worthy of serious reflection, but if Washington & Lincoln do not rate such recognition, it seems we've gone a bit overboard with this annual ritual...

...Especially given the PC climate in which people who actually attempt to live their lives & run their businesses according the the principles espoused by King are frequently accused of racism.

Try running a business without paying attention to the racial background of applicants & employees. If you simply focus on finding the best qualified people, and refuse to report racial information on federal paperwork, you risk having to appear before a judge to explain yourself. King would never have approved of racial quotas or "affirmative action."

Cheers,
Jon S.

>Why is he the only American deserving of a holiday in his honor?

He's not. Washington's birthday is celebrated in February, and Columbus's birthday (not an American but pretty important to this country) is celebrated in October.

>King would never have approved of racial quotas or "affirmative action."

He spent the last years of his life pushing for greater employment opportunities for blacks. He was instrumental in starting Operation Breadbasket, an organization dedicated to improving the economic conditions of black communities across the USA. Some of his statements on the issue:

"Whenever the issue of compensatory treatment for the Negro is raised, some of our friends recoil in horror. The Negro should be granted equality, they agree; but he should ask nothing more. On the surface, this appears reasonable, but it is not realistic."

"A society that has done something special against the Negro for hundreds of years must now do something special for the Negro."

"Within common law we have ample precedents for special compensatory programs.... And you will remember that America adopted a policy of special treatment for her millions of veterans after the war."

We have this holiday because of political correctness and the white man's guilt. There I said it.

That's not saying that MLK wasn't deserving of recognition but the predominately guilt-ridden white population of the early '80s felt the need to offer up something to placate the Jesse Jackson/Al SHarptons and their ilk.

There are thousands of men and women who are deserving of recognition and whose deeds rival those of MLK. They're just not the correct race.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

>There are thousands of men and women who are deserving of recognition and
>whose deeds rival those of MLK. They're just not the correct race.

There are very few who wrought so much change for good with so little violence and strife, and even fewer who were willing to die to accomplish their goals.

Sen. Helms, like Sen. East and many other conservatives in the Senate and the country, was strongly opposed to establishing a national holiday for King. The country already observed no fewer than nine legal public holidays --- New Years Day, "Presidents Day" as it is officially known or "Washington's Birthday" as an unreconstructed American public continues to insisting on calling it, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Columbus Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

With the exception of Washington's Birthday and Christmas, not a one of these holidays celebrates a single individual. As Sen. East argued, to establish a special holiday just for King was to "elevate him to the same level as the father of our country and above the many other Americans whose achievements approach Washington's." Whatever King's own accomplishments, few would go so far as to claim that they equaled or exceeded those of many other statesmen, soldiers, and creative minds of American history.

That argument alone should have provided a compelling reason to reject the King holiday, but for some years a well-organized and powerful lobby had pressured Congress for its enactment, and anyone who questioned the need for the holiday was likely to be accused or "racism" or "insensitivity." Congressional Democrats, always eager to court the black voting bloc that has become their party's principal mainstay, were solidly in favor of it (the major exception being Georgia Democrat Larry McDonald, who led the opposition to the measure in the House and who died before the month was over when a Soviet warplane shot down the civilian airliner on which he and nearly three hundred other civilians were traveling).

http://www.martinlutherking.org/articles.html

I don't think so.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

>"Presidents Day" as it is officially known or "Washington's Birthday" as an
>unreconstructed American public continues to insisting on calling it . . .

Bzzt! Sorry, incorrect.

From the US Office of Personnel Management:

================
2011 Federal Holidays

Federal law (5 U.S.C. 6103) establishes the following public holidays for Federal employees. Please note that most Federal employees work on a Monday through Friday schedule. For these employees, when a holiday falls on a nonworkday -- Saturday or Sunday -- the holiday usually is observed on Monday (if the holiday falls on Sunday) or Friday (if the holiday falls on Saturday).

Friday, December 31, 2010* New Year’s Day
Monday, January 17 Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Monday, February 21** Washington’s Birthday
Monday, May 30 Memorial Day
Monday, July 4 Independence Day
Monday, September 5 Labor Day
Monday, October 10 Columbus Day
Friday, November 11 Veterans Day
Thursday, November 24 Thanksgiving Day
Monday, December 26*** Christmas Day

* January 1, 2011 (the legal public holiday for New Year’s Day), falls on a Saturday. For most Federal employees, Friday, December 31, 2010, will be treated as a holiday for pay and leave purposes. (See 5 U.S.C. 6103(b).)

** This holiday is designated as "Washington’s Birthday" in section 6103(a) of title 5 of the United States Code, which is the law that specifies holidays for Federal employees. Though other institutions such as state and local governments and private businesses may use other names, it is our policy to always refer to holidays by the names designated in the law.
===================

>With the exception of Washington's Birthday and Christmas, not a one
>of these holidays celebrates a single individual.

And Columbus Day.

So we have four days that celebrate outstanding people. Two of them are not even US citizens. Get rid of them first, then argue to get rid of MLK day; you might get a little traction.

>As Sen. East argued, to establish a special holiday just for King was to
>"elevate him to the same level as the father of our country and above the many
>other Americans whose achievements approach Washington's."

That's a load of crap. Christmas is a special national holiday. So is Columbus Day. Does that mean that Columbus Day elevates Columbus to the same level as Jesus Christ?