rhaig

DWI on a horse?

As for those two drunk 'idiots' riding up 6th. Street, drunk or sober, that was really dumb!
They're lucky they lived to talk about it. :D

Not the smartest thing to do on 6th Street - there's a LOT of traffic.

I've been wondering if, the couldn't charge them with 'cruelty to animals'.

Be pretty hard to make the claim, much less make it stick.

Youre probably right. Even though there is a big possibility of 'endangerment' to the animals.

Chuck

I haven't found anything on endangerment, just cruelty. Doesn't mean there isn't anything, just that I haven't found it.

Thank you! I couldn't find anything either. I'm just guessing but it probably goes back to the times horses were ridden in towns throughout Texas. Not a big deal. I guess, a night in the cooler will have to suffice.:D

Chuck

Goes back to the times? Heck, I still [url "http://www.google.com/images?q=horse+drive+through"]see it now

Done it myself once or twice on trail rides...;)

That was cool! B|:D

Chuck

This has been an issue in the news here in Mt. lately after a TV commercial by the DOT showing a man leaving the bar on his horse saying have a friend drive you home. Riding your horse drunk in Mt does not constitute a DUI. Neither does riding your bicycle. I am totally against DUI but gimme a break. You have to be operating a MOTOR VEHICLE to get DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Near Jefferson Iowa in a small town named Dana, a local farmer (whoj liked to drink a lot) lost his licence because of a DWI. He lived about two miles out of town down a county high way. He had a pair of horsed he would hitch to a wagon and go to town and get tuned up. When the bar closed he would go out side, untie the horses, start them for home and pass out in the back of the wagon. The horsed knew the way and would go home.

He finally got a DWI fot that practice
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

This has been an issue in the news here in Mt. lately after a TV commercial by the DOT showing a man leaving the bar on his horse saying have a friend drive you home. Riding your horse drunk in Mt does not constitute a DUI. Neither does riding your bicycle. I am totally against DUI but gimme a break. You have to be operating a MOTOR VEHICLE to get DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE.

bicycles are generally considered as motor vehicles. Definitely in California.

When the bar closed he would go out side, untie the horses, start them for home and pass out in the back of the wagon. The horsed knew the way and would go home.

those are some prize winning horses! But can they tuck him in bed?

This is very normal for horses

Make a couple of trips and then they know when they get all the crap removed and they get food and water

The horses on the road in the middle of the night not with standing
the worst part was the horses standing in front of the barn waiting for the drunk to wake up

Many time sit was hours later
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

When the bar closed he would go out side, untie the horses, start them for home and pass out in the back of the wagon. The horsed knew the way and would go home.

This could be a serious problem and road hazard around me if Old Order Mennonites went out drinking.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

It's kinda' tough, seeing as how horses don't have opposeable thumbs!:D

Chuck

No. You don't. DWI laws are specific to each state. Most people don't even realize DWI can mean different things. Also, I'm unaware of any states that still use the "under the influence" language. One state uses "operate a vehicle while impaired." North Carolina calls the law Driving While Impaired, but the legal language is "operate a vehicle while subject to some impairing substance." Very few states mention a motor vehicle. Any electric motorized conveyance can qualify. Any vehicle with more than 50cc displacement can qualify. A bicycle can qualify. A lawn mower can qualify. And yes, a horse can qualify.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I know of no horse that has a 50 cc displacement, or a regular bicycle. A lawnmower, yes. Montana still uses the term DUI as it means Driving Under the Influence, which covers under the influence of any drug. Not just alcohol. DWI means Driving While Intoxicated. But I guess intoxicated could also mean any drug. Love is intoxicating. I can see it now. He was arrested and thrown in jail for driving while in love.;)

Like I said before, I am totally against DUI or DWI but I think the powers that be can carry it just a little to far. They say do not drive while drinking so a person takes alternate steps and pays the price anyway. Riding a bike or a horse IS NOT driving a motor vehicle any way you look at it.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

I know of no horse that has a 50 cc displacement, or a regular bicycle. A lawnmower, yes. Montana still uses the term DUI as it means Driving Under the Influence, which covers under the influence of any drug. Not just alcohol. DWI means Driving While Intoxicated. But I guess intoxicated could also mean any drug. Love is intoxicating. I can see it now. He was arrested and thrown in jail for driving while in love.;)

Like I said before, I am totally against DUI or DWI but I think the powers that be can carry it just a little to far. They say do not drive while drinking so a person takes alternate steps and pays the price anyway. Riding a bike or a horse IS NOT driving a motor vehicle any way you look at it.

I don’t know if this is still the way it is in Pennsylvania but going back about 15 years my brother was charged with (and these are not the exact legal terms) Driving Under the Influence and separately charged with Driving While Over the Legal Limit (at that time I believe it was 0.10, now 0.08). He took it to trial in front of a judge with no jury and represented himself. He beat the driving under the influence charge but could not beat the driving while over the legal limit.

I can only guess there are two separate charges so that even if your blood alcohol content is not over the legal limit, for some people your ability to drive could still be impaired.

I’m curious what the lawyers here think. Does that make sense?