jclalor

Arizona Congresswoman, shot in the head

nice way to avoid the question. Cho, this event, and many others show that the "system" you so stoutly defend simply does NOT work.

So, show the proof where Cho and Loughner were declared mentally incompetent or admitted to mental institutions.

As usual you mis-state my position in order to attack it (strawman).

The issue is that THE CURRENT LAW AND ITS ENFORCEMENT ARE TOTALLY INADEQUATE TO PREVENT MASS MURDERS BY LOONEYS.

All you do by pointing out that Cho and others weren't prevented from easily obtaining guns is to reinforce my argument. Those who espouse your position that current laws are adequate are enabling these mass murderers. I hope you are proud of it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

So professor, how would you define nutter? The government has their standard. If it's not good enough, what is yours?

Is it anyone who's ever been declared incompetent?
Is it anyone who's ever been committed to a mental health hospital?
Is it anyone who's ever taken anti psychotics?
Is it any who's ever seen a shrink?
Is it anyone taking anti depressants?
Is it anyone posting strange political views with poor grammar on social websites?
Is it any who wants to own a gun?

So, if the system is failing in your eyes, what would you change? What should be done differently. (keep in mind that any answer you give has to address this incident and the VaTech incident)
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Did you look at his youtube channel? Suspect was obviously a nutter.

did you get a doctor's diagnosis on that one? Or is that your professional medical opinion??

?

He shot dead 6 people. Seems like pretty good indication of mental unbalance to me.

Of course, this behavior may be normal in your world.

Show me where any left wing politician has advocated gun violence against their political foes.

I believe you were equating crosshairs with advocating violence, no?

Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee targets - Click a target, see a Republican.

12 House Republicans targeted by the DCCC.

Some more targets from the Democratic Leadership Committee, 2004.

Even DKOS got in on the act against Giffords.

Or, y'know...maybe it really wasn't either side advocating violence at all.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

He shot dead 6 people. Seems like pretty good indication of mental unbalance to me.

Of course, this behavior may be normal in your world.

So, short of taking every gun away from every citizen, what could the government have dine differently. I'm hearing a lot of complaints and not a lot of solutions from you. what did he do before the shooting to let you know that he is "loony" and has to have his rights curtailed. What did he do before the shooting that was so terrible. And whatever he did, would you have had him committed? Or just take his guns and let him go about his business?

Edit: iPhone auto correct is killing me.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

The first step to solving ANY problem is to admit that there is one. You and Mike are in denial.

"Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik described the gunman as mentally unstable and possibly acting with an accomplice. He said Giffords was among 13 people wounded in the melee that killed six people, including a 9-year-old girl, an aide for the Democratic lawmaker and U.S. District Judge John Roll, who had just stopped by to see his friend Giffords after celebrating Mass. Dupnik said the rampage ended only after two people tackled the gunman.
The sheriff blamed the vitriolic political rhetoric that has consumed the country, much of it centered in Arizona.
"When you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government. The anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on in this country is getting to be outrageous," he said. "And unfortunately, Arizona, I think, has become the capital. We have become the mecca for prejudice and bigotry.""

6 dead people make your position look self-serving.

I didn't state a position. I asked very direct and clear questions. I didn't expect a clear answer. To quote you from just a few posts prior:

nice way to avoid the question.

witty subliminal message
1*

I dunno man, the guy seems pretty straight up batshit crazy without any specific political leanings.

I don't think so. Sure, the video made barely any sense, but neither did I a lot of the time when I was 22. Just seemed like the average ramblings of a young person just beginning to use their brain, stumbling around aimlessly in newly-discovered intellectual areas without any sense of purpose.

When you add to that the same thing that most people here probably smoked at one time or another around that age...

sadly I think this is just another young person who chose to address their emotional problems by throwing the world away. It's just a pity for the victims that he lived in a country with such easy access to firearms.

nice way to avoid the question. Cho, this event, and many others show that the "system" you so stoutly defend simply does NOT work.

So, show the proof where Cho and Loughner were declared mentally incompetent or admitted to mental institutions.

As usual you mis-state my position in order to attack it (strawman).

The issue is that THE CURRENT LAW AND ITS ENFORCEMENT ARE TOTALLY INADEQUATE TO PREVENT MASS MURDERS BY LOONEYS.

And as usual, you misrepresent both the law and the status of the attacker at the time of purchase to make your point.

Hope you have a better record for honesty in your experiments than you do in your posting.

All you do by pointing out that Cho and others weren't prevented from easily obtaining guns is to reinforce my argument.

Wrong again - what it shows is the FACT that Cho and others weren't banned from buying at the time of purchase - completely DIFFERENT from your fantasy world claims.

Those who espouse your position that current laws are adequate are enabling these mass murderers. I hope you are proud of it.

And another lie about my position and emotions - not that you've ever been worried about the truth regarding that, now have you?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The first step to solving ANY problem is to admit that there is one. You and Mike are in denial.

"Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik described the gunman as mentally unstable

A musician who knew Laughner in high school starts tweeting about it. Witness the speed of news in the Twitter era.

5:09: Saying Jared Laughner was the gunman. Really hoping that's not the same guy I went to HS with, really good friend. Freaking out right now!!!

5:09: Official I went to high school & college, & was in a band w/ the gunman. I can't even fathom this right now.

5:32: He was a political radical & met Giffords once before in '07, asked her a question & he told me she was "stupid & unintelligent"

5:34 he was a pot head & into rock like Hendrix,The Doors, Anti-Flag. I haven't seen him in person since '07 in a sign language class

5:36 As I knew him he was left wing, quite liberal. & oddly obsessed with the 2012 prophecy.

5:40 he had a lot of friends until he got alcohol poisoning in '06, & dropped out of school. Mainly loner very philosophical.

6:09 This is a circus. Good Morning America just called me.

QED
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Keep your condescending tone for your students. In an Internet forum it just makes you look petty.

So, I ask yet again, what would you have done differently? What is your solution? And just how do you define loony. Or have you perfected your telepathy timemachine?
witty subliminal message
1*

The first step to solving ANY problem is to admit that there is one. You are in denial.

6 dead, just collateral damage so you can have your toys.

so admit you want to ban guns.

it's going to take an amendment. you want to make it happen, get started. Here is not the place.
--
Rob

You're kidding yourself if you expect an semblance of an answer or any logical suggestions on how to do this.
It would appear he expects our government to mind read us and snatch us in the middle of our insane planes to kill everyone.
:S
He seems to refuse to admit that it is impossible to predict future mental issues that result in murder, no matter the weapon of choice.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/07/16/2009-07-16_teen_brutally_stabbed_to_death_with_screwdriver.html

. . . But he seemed fine until he stabbed the guy . . .

There should be at least a three day waiting period on screwdrivers.

But, but ...what if something needs screwing right now?!?

that's ok... I can wait to be screwed.
--
Rob

Keep your condescending tone for your students. In an Internet forum it just makes you look petty.

So, I ask yet again, what would you have done differently? What is your solution? And just how do you define loony. Or have you perfected your telepathy timemachine?

The first step to solving a problem is to admit that it exists.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

You are in denial that there exists a problem to be solved.

Your posts just come over as self-serving.

and yours come over as intransigent.

Do you have a better solution than the current one, an outright ban, or the future prediction method? Please. Let's work together to solve this problem. What could have been done?
--
Rob

One more time.

So, I ask yet again, what would you have done differently? What is your solution? And just how do you define loony. Or have you perfected your telepathy time machine?

Come on professor, we all know things aren't perfect. How would you make things better?
witty subliminal message
1*

The first step to solving a problem is to admit that it exists.

The law states that possession is barred from those who have been adjudicated mentally defective or have been admitted to mental institutions.

You claim the law is ineffective or not enforced.

To prove your statement true, you need to show where those people have bought guns from gunstores - since the law is mute on private sales.

We await your report - but forgive us if we don't hold our breath.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

Indeed - It appears to have moved to Chicago. Must be global warming.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

50%-75% of the sellers are licensed dealers who are required to perform the backround checks, fill out the forms and wait out any required waiting period.
A lot of the non-dealers (private sellers) are collectors selling fairly high-priced stuff.

Wow, that only leaves 25% - 50% of unlicensed sellers who don't have to perform background checks etc.

Can you spell L O O P H O L E?

One more time.

So, I ask yet again, what would you have done differently? What is your solution? And just how do you define loony. Or have you perfected your telepathy time machine?

Come on professor, we all know things aren't perfect. How would you make things better?

Every journey begins with a first step.

We start by getting people like you and Mike out of denial and admitting the USA has a gun violence problem.

Until you admit a problem you are just enabling the murderers.