jclalor

Arizona Congresswoman, shot in the head

The one thing -I- get out of this event is that while there are rules for keeping guns out of the hands of nuts, they clearly don't work well enough.

*rolls eyes*

Best get to working on that telepathy machine with kallend, then, so y'all can tell us who's going to flip out at some point in the future.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

But whatever his motivations for wanting the congresswoman dead . . .

I'm NOT entirely certain he wanted HER dead, but rather saw the gathering as an opportunity. None of his videos specifically mention her or anything she even seemed to be related to.

The one thing -I- get out of this event is that while there are rules for keeping guns out of the hands of nuts, they clearly don't work well enough.

Even scarier to me ...who gets to decide who is and who isn't is ...a "nut" before any nut-like behavior is displayed. And who decides who decides? (and how can I get that job? :S) And who decides what "nut-like" behavior is? A "nut" is not a "nut" until he is proclaimed a "nut" by some authorized authority.

That would be Kallend . . .
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

It looks like the LW/RW accusations aren't going anywhere...next stop - Religion.

It appears that he is Atheist!:P

Probably "agnostic" since he makes a specific comment in his video about how the USMC recruiter dealt with him.

He said "none" when asked about his religion, not "I don't know."

Either way I don't care...It's just a sad day. I feel for her husband.

Wrong.

I refer you to the (I can't believe it's actually still up on YouTube) video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHoaZaLbqB4&feature=player_profilepage#t=177s

"I didn't write a belief on my Army application, and the recuiter wrote on the application: none."

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It looks like the LW/RW accusations aren't going anywhere...next stop - Religion.

It appears that he is Atheist!:P

Probably "agnostic" since he makes a specific comment in his video about how the USMC recruiter dealt with him.

He said "none" when asked about his religion, not "I don't know."

Either way I don't care...It's just a sad day. I feel for her husband.

Wrong.

I refer you to the (I can't believe it's actually still up on YouTube) video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHoaZaLbqB4&feature=player_profilepage#t=177s

"I didn't write a belief on my Army application, and the recuiter wrote on the application: none."

OK - so does that mean that he has no belief or that he forgot to write what he believes or that the recruiter has a SOP for the section not being filled in?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

*rolls eyes*

Best get to working on that telepathy machine with kallend, then, so y'all can tell us who's going to flip out at some point in the future.

This assumes the guy wasn't a known nut to begin with; wasn't under medication or whatever . . .

I think it's premature to dismiss this guy as "not a nut" just minutes before this event took place.
quade -

and it happened to be a woman who controlled a district that sarah palin was targeting when she released her map last year... GOD BLESS AMERICA
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

OK - so does that mean that he has no belief or that he forgot to write what he believes or that the recruiter has a SOP for the section not being filled in?

It means the guy had a beef with how it was handled.

It may be the case he simply forgot to fill it in and his beef is the recruiter didn't ask him and just assumed none.
quade -

and it happened to be a woman who controlled a district that sarah palin was targeting when she released her map last year... GOD BLESS AMERICA

Uh...when a US political party or PAC "targets" a district for a change in leadership it is not the same thing as the 8th AF "targeting" an airfield at Kaltenkirchen.

The most up to date news on this.

She si still fighting, according to Washington Post

This lady really was just doing her job.

And it's a really sad freaking commentary when within the first few minutes/posts, someone has to chime in with "it was a right wing nut job." Maybe it was. Maybe it was a left wing nut job. Maybe it wes a nutjob with no particular political views. Maybe it was, an independant political nutter. For fuck's sake, you have no idea what happened, and there are other things than spewing your false dichotomy, left vs right BULLSHIT.

Well said.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

*rolls eyes*

This assumes the guy wasn't a known nut to begin with; wasn't under medication or whatever . . .

I think it's premature to dismiss this guy as "not a nut" just minutes before this event took place.

Never said he was 'not a nut' - just contesting the kneejerk "guns and nuts" comment about the law.

You seem to be making quite a number of assumptions yourself.

Do you have evidence that he was a 'known nut' (legal definition a la GCA '68, if you please - there's lots of posters on here that could qualify otherwise) or on meds?

Given that he was enlisting in the military, both are doubtful given records checks, which would also tend to rule out the 'adjudicated mentally defective or admitted to a mental institution' bars to possession under GCA '68 - the 'rules for keeping guns out of the hands of nuts' you reference above.

So, absent any of the above, how *else* are you going to tell if someone is going to someday flip out and shoot someone?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The most up to date news on this.

She si still fighting, according to Washington Post

This lady really was just doing her job.

And it's a really sad freaking commentary when within the first few minutes/posts, someone has to chime in with "it was a right wing nut job." Maybe it was. Maybe it was a left wing nut job. Maybe it wes a nutjob with no particular political views. Maybe it was, an independant political nutter. For fuck's sake, you have no idea what happened, and there are other things than spewing your false dichotomy, left vs right BULLSHIT.

Indeed. This harkens back to the whole blaming "right wing militias and the coming "fun" of a very disgruntled and murderous right wing and THEIR solutions" shortly after Gwatney was killed in Arkansas.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3297857#3297857

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Back in June 2010, Rep. Gabrielle Giffords's (D-AZ) Republican opponent Jesse Kelly had an event at which voters could shoot an Assault Rifle with the Candidate, promoted as thus: Get on Target for Victory in November Help remove Gabrielle Giffords from office Shoot a fully automatic M16 with Jesse Kelly

http://republicanifi.com/news/Flashback-Giffords-Opponent-Had-M16-Shooting-Event-Help-Remove-Gabrielle-Giffords-From-Office-1514653.html

No, the right wing isn't inciting violence, not at all.

Events like the above linked event, statements, by Angle, Bachmann, and others. The infamous map by Palin. It's clear that the right wing politicos have been fueling the fire for their political benefit.

It's obviously not clear if this has anything to do with that rhetoric, but one has to wonder.

Uh...when a US political party or PAC "targets" a district for a change in leadership it is not the same thing as the 8th AF "targeting" an airfield at Kaltenkirchen.

Could you explain that to Sharon Angle and her fellow travellers please

Back in June 2010, Rep. Gabrielle Giffords's (D-AZ) Republican opponent Jesse Kelly had an event at which voters could shoot an Assault Rifle with the Candidate, promoted as thus: Get on Target for Victory in November Help remove Gabrielle Giffords from office Shoot a fully automatic M16 with Jesse Kelly

http://republicanifi.com/news/Flashback-Giffords-Opponent-Had-M16-Shooting-Event-Help-Remove-Gabrielle-Giffords-From-Office-1514653.html

No, the right wing isn't inciting violence, not at all.

Events like the above linked event, statements, by Angle, Bachmann, and others. The infamous map by Palin. It's clear that the right wing politicos have been fueling the fire for their political benefit.

It's obviously not clear if this has anything to do with that rhetoric, but one has to wonder.

I like how when they can't throw mud on the GOP with the current thread - they resort to cherrypicking other events just to prove their point.

Logic isn't thier strong point is it?

Well ...IMO she's right about the reason for the 2nd Amendment but she's wrong about us being anywhere near a tyrannical dictatorship that requires a revolution ...if that's what she was implying. I doubt radical political rhetoric would push someone who is not a nutter to commit an assassination. A nutcase does not need a catalyst. Right now we don't know if this shooting was a politically motivated event or if it was personal. Who knows? It could have even been a crime of opportunity to some crazy who wanted to make headlines and go out in a blaze.

Well ...IMO she's right about the reason for the 2nd Amendment but she's wrong about us being anywhere near a tyrannical dictatorship that requires a revolution ...if that's what she was implying. I doubt radical political rhetoric would push someone who is not a nutter to commit an assassination. A nutcase does not need a catalyst. Right now we don't know if this shooting was a politically motivated event or if it was personal. Who knows? It could have even been a crime of opportunity to some crazy who wanted to make headlines and go out in a blaze.

The fact that so many politicians brought out that sort of rhetoric in the last election is hard to run from when one of their followers takes up "THE CAUSE"

Kinda like all the preachers and other right to life leaders trying to distance themselves from those who actually go out and STOP those murdering abortionists after the preachers and right to life leaders incite them to do just that.

Fort Hood: "Well, we know that he shouted 'Allahu Akbar', but we shouldn't speculate as to his motive - it's too early in the story."

Today: "This is all the fault of the Tea Party and Sarah Palin and Sharon Angle. All their fault."

A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on it's shoes. - Mark Twain
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Fort Hood: "Well, we know that he shouted 'Allahu Akbar', but we shouldn't speculate as to his motive - it's too early in the story."

Today: "This is all the fault of the Tea Party and Sarah Palin and Sharon Angle. All their fault."

A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on it's shoes. - Mark Twain

The TRUTH is that he is a nutter and he had a gun.

Can you name any other developed industrialized nation where nutters have such easy access to guns?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The TRUTH is that he is a nutter and he had a gun.

Can you name any other developed industrialized nation where nutters have such easy access to guns?

Same old specious argument. Show the stats for the number of guns purchased by people adjudicated mentally deficient or admitted to mental hospitals, thanks.

Failing that, you could just list the names of all the people that are goiing to snap at some point in the future, from your telepathy machine.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The fact that so many politicians brought out that sort of rhetoric in the last election is hard to run from when one of their followers takes up "THE CAUSE"

Kinda like all the preachers and other right to life leaders trying to distance themselves from those who actually go out and STOP those murdering abortionists after the preachers and right to life leaders incite them to do just that.

Well, so far we don't know whether or not this was a blind follower just taking up the cause.

Do we know if those murderers were acting on specific calls to kill abortion doctors or if they were "incited" by anti-abortionist religious leaders fretting over the loss of "innocents". Maybe they acted on their own twisted justifications.

It would be terrible if the 1st and 2nd Amendments were crippled as a result of these kinds of incidents. Treat the actual perps like the criminals they are. Kinda like some say the "war on terror" is best handled through police action and we cannot presume someone is a terrorist until an act of terror is completed ...even if "terrorist-like" activities are observed beforehand.

Well, so far we don't know whether or not this was a blind follower just taking up the cause.

Do we know if those murderers were acting on specific calls to kill abortion doctors or if they were "incited" by anti-abortionist religious leaders fretting over the loss of "innocents". Maybe they acted on their own twisted justifications.

It would be terrible if the 1st and 2nd Amendments were crippled as a result of these kinds of incidents. Treat the actual perps like the criminals they are. Kinda like some say the "war on terror" is best handled through police action and we cannot presume someone is a terrorist until an act of terror is completed ...even if "terrorist-like" activities are observed beforehand.

Well said.

From Loughner's youtube profile - could the usual suspects saying he was motivated by right-winger activism kindly point out anything by Palin, Beck or Bush in the list below?

Books:I had favorite books: Animal Farm, Brave New World, The Wizard Of OZ, Aesop Fables, The Odyssey, Alice Adventures Into Wonderland, Fahrenheit 451, Peter Pan, To Kill A Mockingbird, We The Living, Phantom Toll Booth, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, Pulp,Through The Looking Glass, The Communist Manifesto, Siddhartha, The Old Man And The Sea, Gulliver’s Travels, Mein Kampf, The Republic, and Meno.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706