jclalor

Bill O'Reilly fights atheism and loses - claims ocean tides a divine mystery

But you keep trying to get a rise out of everyone you can

Physician, heal thyself.

Remember, if the student doesn't learn, it is the teachers fault.

Some kids are beyond help. What's the point in explaining something to a person who will intentionally misunderstand every chance he gets?

Exactly why we stopped trying to help you.

I've said it before, if I caught you saying the sky was green you'd defend it to the hilt rather than admit a mistake. The chances of me succesfully explaining why I didn't mean what you assumed I meant... well there are two Hopes:S
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Physician, heal thyself.

Some kids are beyond help. What's the point in explaining something to a person who will intentionally misunderstand every chance he gets?

I've said it before, if I caught you saying the sky was green you'd defend it to the hilt rather than admit a mistake. The chances of me succesfully explaining why I didn't mean what you assumed I meant... well there are two Hopes:S

Perhaps you should take the time, study up, and learn how to present your point in a logical manner so that we can all understand you.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Physician, heal thyself.

Perhaps you should take the time, study up, and learn how to present your point in a logical manner so that we can all understand you.

Everyone else can. You choose not to.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Everyone else can. You choose not to.

Actually, no - that is just a imaginary hope you have there.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

That's the classic "argument from incredulity" - basically "if I don't understand it, then the mechanism you claim can't be what's causing it." Often used to "disprove" evolution, climate change and the success of the Apollo missions.

What about Nanothermite and the WTC collapse?

>What about Nanothermite and the WTC collapse?

Definitely. "I cannot comprehend how a simple fire can weaken massive steel beams, or how a building can collapse so quickly - so therefore there is a more nefarious explanation."

I see -

So much for backing the Truthers, Bill - Way to Flip Flop!:D;)

>So much for backing the Truthers, Bill - Way to Flip Flop!

Sorry to ruin a perfectly good attack - but I've never backed them.

Did you . . . well obviously you did miss the big smiley at the end . . . I know better . . . it was sarcasm.:S

That's the classic "argument from incredulity" - basically "if I don't understand it, then the mechanism you claim can't be what's causing it." Often used to "disprove" evolution, climate change and the success of the Apollo missions.

Bill, I don't think that was Bill's argument. I think Jakee had a more accurate, possibly even a more objective response than yours...could it be?

but I did like your Boss Higgons reply...:D;)
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

-Bashes head against desk-

Not again with the "If you're not 100% that God doesn't exist you're an agnostic" crap.

Just take a second to think about it, for Christ's sake.

Atheism is generally a deduction of logic; "I see no evidence of God, therefore God doesn't exist."

An Atheist being someone who believes God doesn't exist. There is no clause in the definition stating that he has to be 100% sure God doesn't exist, just sure enough to make a stand on his idea that he doesn't.

A direct comparison of how this way of thinking works:

"I see no evidence that pigs can fly when no one is watching, therefore pigs can't fly."

Now here you have the same principle, you can't prove that pigs can't fly, you can't prove they don't posses any magical powers at night, but just by using logic you can come to the conclusion they don't. You can't be 100% sure, but you can be 99.999999% sure, and this is sure enough to state one does in fact, not believe it.

Again:

"I see no evidence that unicorns exist, therefore unicorns don't exist."

Again, almost the EXACT same concept as with God. An object that can't be proved or disproved, but can be said by some to exist. Now explain to me PLEASE, how it is 'foolish' for someone to state they know unicorns don't exist.

So if you're one of those people who claims 'knowing' God isn't in existence is foolish. I sure you don't claim to know that unicorns don't exist, or that faeries don't exist. If you want to apply your pattern of thought to one thing, you should be willing to apply it to all areas where it's fit.

Or else majority of atheists are really agnostic, because many of them agree that there's the possibility for God to exist, the possibility is just so low that it's pointless to give it any weight- much like with unicorns or faeries.

I see Agnostic most typically as the transition stage between a Theist and an Atheist. Very few people go throughout life as an agnostic, the same happened with me, I was Christian for 17 years, then agnostic for 1 and then only after exploring both sides in great detail was I willing to accept that the evidence of God's existence was small enough to deduce that logically he didn't exist.

It annoys me immensely when people have the idea that you need to be 100% about the lack of any greater power in order to be atheist, and not having that makes one an agnostic, that's just not the way it works. I am 99.995% sure there's no greater being- though while being extremely unlikely, to the point of logical deduction that it doesn't exist- I will allow for that .005% that there may be something, not necessarily the Abrahamic God, but I'll give a .005% of something greater existing. And I'm no God damn agnostic!

I don't have a belief. I don't see any evidence to believe there is a god. Show me some evidence to even suggest there is a god and I will change my mind.

so you're agnostic

ok.

from your absolutist viewpoint you sounded like an atheist. Atheism is a belief. as in "I believe there is no god".

No. Atheism is the lack of religion or religious beliefs.

I don't actively disbelief in god any more then a I actively disbelief in the existence of santa, leprechauns, unicorns or any other imaginary creatures.

For me god is simply an abstract philosophical concept made up by people who a) couldn't be arsed to study nature to explain some natural phenomenon and b) are afraid of death and the eternal non-existence it brings.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

I'd be an ass to define your stance on any issue (wouldn't be the first time I've been called an ass though).

I was working from popular definitions ala http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atheism

So for your personal definition of atheism (which is really what matters to you) I was off-base.

I'm arrogant enough to say that all (most) dictionaries are wrong. Why?

Greek: a prefix meaning: no, absence of, without, lack of, not

For instance compare:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/asexual and http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sexual
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/moral and http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/amoral

But suddenly when religion gets thrown into it is no more about a lack of something but active denial of something.

This may seem like a small thing but its not. If we accept the dictionary definition of atheism then we assume that god does exist and is real and atheists are just a bunch folks who actively deny its existence.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

It annoys me immensely when people have the idea that you need to be 100% about the lack of any greater power in order to be atheist, and not having that makes one an agnostic, that's just not the way it works. I am 99.995% sure there's no greater being- though while being extremely unlikely, to the point of logical deduction that it doesn't exist- I will allow for that .005% that there may be something, not necessarily the Abrahamic God, but I'll give a .005% of something greater existing. And I'm no God damn agnostic!

It seems really simple to me, agnostics just don't have as much faith in their beliefs as atheists.

It seems really simple to me, agnostics just don't have as much faith in their beliefs as atheists.

I'd argue with that assertion. I'm quite confident that I can't know whether there is a "god", and I'm equally convinced that neither you nor Meso can either. You most certainly believe in such an entity, and he almost certainly does not, and both of you are just as convinced of your rightness as I am of your ignorance (the literal definition, not a slam).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I'll agree with you, that the odds against an Abrahamic god are nearly total, and go one further that I consider all religions organized by humans as being prohibitively unlikely. Beyond that though, I think we'd first have to agree on a definition of "god", and that is more difficult than it may appear. In the end, my version of agnosticism revolves around a fundamental concept of laziness with regard to subjects that are unknowable.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

[I'd argue with that assertion. I'm quite confident that I can't know whether there is a "god", and I'm equally convinced that neither you nor Meso can either. You most certainly believe in such an entity, and he almost certainly does not, and both of you are just as convinced of your rightness as I am of your ignorance (the literal definition, not a slam).

Blues,
Dave

The way I see it, having faith in something, like God, is not the same as knowing it as a fact. Faith in the Words written in the Christian Bible opens up the possibility of knowing God. If that knowledge produces the promised results in the lives of those who read them, their faith is justified. And as their faith is justified in time they can have hope that it will be justified in eternity. Proof for any of us will only come when our last brain wave has jumped its final synapse.

Dejavue...

Hasn;t this thread been run threw here twice at least, this week?:D

No, it's "Vuja De", as in "none of this has ever happened before"...:D:SB|

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."