quade

New edition of 'Huckleberry Finn' to lose the 'n' word

>And nigger , a word used by many blacks every day is more offencive? Why?

Because people are offended by it. Other people see that reaction and use it because they wish to be offensive.

Both "babe" and "cunt" are used to refer to women. One is more offensive than the other. Why? Same reason.

Both "jew" and "kike" are used to refer to jewish people. One is more offensive than the other. Why? Same reason.

women and jews were captured and ship around the world to labor for others?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>And nigger , a word used by many blacks every day is more offencive? Why?

Because people are offended by it. Other people see that reaction and use it because they wish to be offensive.

If it's offensive, it's offensive regardless of who uses it. If it's not offensive when a certain group uses it, then it's people looking for an excuse to be offended.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I am the descendant of poor Irish farmers who fled from Ireland because of the potato famine and predatory landlords.

And did so of their own free will.
To me, that's a pretty significant difference.

Did the freed slaves not stay in the US of their own free will?

They were a largely uneducated, illiterate and institutionalized people that were supposed to get at a minimum 40 acres and a mule. A lot of them got less than that and most of those that did had it taken away from them. They didn't have the resources to leave nor would they have understood what to do if they had.

To equate, as you have, Irish immigrants to freed slaves is ridiculous.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>If it's offensive, it's offensive regardless of who uses it.

?? I know a few women who will see their female friends and say "hey bitches!" (or words to that effect.) But have their boss say "how's my bitch today?" and they would likely have a sexual harassment lawsuit on their hands.

Knowing what's appropriate when is one of the most basic social skills there is. What's appropriate with your friends is often not appropriate in the workplace; what is appropriate with your family is often not appropriate with strangers.

If it's offensive, it's offensive regardless of who uses it. If it's not offensive when a certain group uses it, then it's people looking for an excuse to be offended.

Hey Asshole -- Count off!

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>I am the descendant of poor Irish farmers who fled from Ireland
>because of the potato famine and predatory landlords.

Me too. Of course, no one in my family was ever tortured, or forced to work a farm until they died.

>So please tell me exactly what this burden is that blacks supposedly
>carry, from what happened 145 years ago.

Well, some blacks living today were systematically denied equal education by the US government, or had parents who the government did not allow to marry. That can cause a burden; being denied equal education can certainly harm someone. Fortunately that's no longer true - and there will come a day where no one, regardless of the color of their skin, religion or sexual orientation, will ever remember being denied the same rights as everyone else by the US government. That will be a good day indeed.

I am the descendant of poor Irish farmers who fled from Ireland because of the potato famine and predatory landlords.

And did so of their own free will.

To me, that's a pretty significant difference.

I am a descendant of poor Cherokee people who were forced, at gun point, from their land and homes to be marched across the Country to be left to die on reservations (Trail of Tears.)
My Great Grandfather left the reservation sometime around the turn of the century to live like white folks. He bounced from job to job riding the rails. He left the reservation of his own free will. His ancestors did not arrive on the reservation by their own free will. I'm glad that he left as I would had never been born had he not.
The difference between the Cherokee and the Black folks is that the Cherokee do not weep about the past, they get on with living and improving their lot in life. If any group of people have a major bitch with the U.S. is those who were here first.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

To equate, as you have, Irish immigrants to freed slaves is ridiculous.

To suggest, as you have, that they are not IMMENSELY better off than those who weren't transported is more so.

Edit to add: You *do* realize that '40 acres and a mule' was Sherman's policy and not Federal, right?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>If it's offensive, it's offensive regardless of who uses it.

?? I know a few women who will see their female friends and say "hey bitches!" (or words to that effect.) But have their boss say "how's my bitch today?" and they would likely have a sexual harassment lawsuit on their hands.

Knowing what's appropriate when is one of the most basic social skills there is. What's appropriate with your friends is often not appropriate in the workplace; what is appropriate with your family is often not appropriate with strangers.

Unfortunately,the use in rap music proves your homily false. You have one group of people saying 'WE can use this term, but if anyone else does then that's wrong'.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Unfortunately,the use in rap music proves your homily false.

?? It demonstrates it. What is appropriate in one venue (rap music, a gym with friends, a family) is not appropriate in another venue (work, an airport.)

>You have one group of people saying 'WE can use this term, but if
>anyone else does then that's wrong'.

You mean like skydivers and "HEY ASSHOLE?"

I'm pretty sure that there is no one left alive that worked or has owned a slave on a plantation in the us. I get sick when of them tells me they need a handout because white people enslaved them

Do you believe wealth can be passed down from generation to generation? That families such as Rockerfeller, Bush or Kennedy have a greater advantage then the average person?

Do you believe that it is your right to be born into a wealthy family?

My right? No. That said, it shouldn't necessarily have to be a person's burden to be born as the descendant of a slave either.

You mean like Biddy Mason's offspring?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Both "babe" and "cunt" are used to refer to women. One is more offensive than the other. Why? Same reason.

Ever been to England?:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

>Ever been to England?

Yep, and that's the point. Different slang, different things people find offensive. Here, "bint" means almost nothing. But walk around over there calling women bints and you'd get some angry reactions. They might put up with it for a while because you were clueless as to what it meant - but eventually you'd be labeled as a pretty rude guy, even if you think it's just a funny word that shouldn't offend people.

>Unfortunately,the use in rap music proves your homily false.

?? It demonstrates it. What is appropriate in one venue (rap music, a gym with friends, a family) is not appropriate in another venue (work, an airport.)

Rap music makes your 'limited venue' argument false on it's face.

"WE can use this term regardless of the audience, but nobody else can because it's wrong."

You mean like skydivers and "HEY ASSHOLE?"

If you think skydivers are the only people that are called 'asshole', you need to get out more.

Lemme know when the ACLU chimes in the side of a skydiver that's been called an asshole by a non-skydiver, too.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Rap music makes your 'limited venue' argument is false on it's face.

And why is that? It's one venue. Friends are another.

I'd be willing to bet that you would not be offended by any Cock Chorus songs or Crack Choir songs if you went to Lost Prairie. I'd also be willing to bet quite a lot that you would not play them for your family.

>If you think skydivers are the only people that are called 'asshole',
>you need to get out more.

And if you think blacks are the only people who use the word "nigger" you need to get out a _lot_ more.

>Rap music makes your 'limited venue' argument is false on it's face.

And why is that? It's one venue. Friends are another.

I'd be willing to bet that you would not be offended by any Cock Chorus songs or Crack Choir songs if you went to Lost Prairie. I'd also be willing to bet quite a lot that you would not play them for your family.

>If you think skydivers are the only people that are called 'asshole',
>you need to get out more.

And if you think blacks are the only people who use the word "nigger" you need to get out a _lot_ more.

So you are OK with the double standard then.

>If you think skydivers are the only people that are called 'asshole', you need to get out more.

Never made that claim, sorry to bust your bubble.

The contortions trying to justify the double standard is like a parent telling their child "If anyone tries to touch you in a bad way, scream and run - unless it's a TSA agent, it's ok if *they* do that".
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I think this is a horrible idea.

Then don't buy the book.
This is non-copyrighted text, anybody can use it, nobody owns it.
It's just capitalism at work, also why I don't understand why the right wingers on this site have a problem with this.

Because the book is far more than simply a public domain text. Words, especially words important to the understanding of history and culture, are important.

Consider what changing a single word or comma could mean to something like the US Constitution or the Bible. In fact, many arguments, perhaps even wars, have been waged over just that sort of thing.

Is Huckleberry Finn as "important" as the US Constitution? Clearly not in terms of how it affects every person's life in the US. However it may be just as important in understanding a particular time and place in history.
quade -

>The contortions trying to justify the double standard is like a parent
>telling their child "If anyone tries to touch you in a bad way, scream and
>run - unless it's a TSA agent, it's ok if *they* do that".

Or like a parent telling a child "if you're lost and anyone tries to help you, scream and run - unless it's a police officer or someone from the family."

Or like a parent telling a child "If anyone tries to touch you there, scream and run - unless it's Doctor Jenny, it's OK if she does that."

Yep, that's a horrible double standard. You'd never teach your children such disgusting double standards, right?

Your analogies just keep getting worse. The odd thing is that I am certain you would not be as socially clueless as you suggest in these threads. I'm sure you would not call a black guy a nigger. I'm sure you understand the difference between saying "hey asshole" to another skydiver and saying "you asshole" to someone who works for you. I'm sure you would take it very differently if your daughter's friend said "hey bitches!" when she walked into the room versus if a stranger said to her "you dirty bitch." I suspect you really do understand the difference there, as much as you pretend not to.

Because the book is far more than simply a public domain text. Words, especially words important to the understanding of history and culture, are important.

Right, and what does that have to do with this?

The original text remains and I am sure will be published again with nigger in it.

As a side note, interestingly enough to this thread the American Version of Huckleberry Finn (yes it was first published in Canada and England) was delayed because of obscenity. Though in that case it was with an illustration.

Have you read the zombie version yet? Somebody changed all the "niggar" to Bagger" and published it and made some money that way.

Right, and what does that have to do with this?

Because this is a version that will end up in narrow-minded school districts and children will read.

Somehow I doubt that's true of the "zombie" version.
quade -