skyrider

The Origins Of Political Correctness

I think the point there is we now have a definition that is based on how someone 'takes' it, absolutely regardless of the intent of the speaker and - I think that's a HUGE mistake - it allows for abuse when the claims are about money or position or power.

sure the grey areas are about how to determine the "intent" of the claimant and the defendant, and there's no cut and dry way to work that for those of you with no mind reading capabilities..... (Though we sure have a lot here in SC that claim it)

I've been following this discussion and I think you hit the nail on the head.

Too many people think they have the gift of mind reading.

Though I think that politeness requires people to avoid phrases that are INTENTIONALLY HURTFUL, political correctness doesn't mean that at all - PC is normally used today for when someone says something harmless, then the hurt party pretends the other party really used the hurtful phrase, or equivocates the harmless phrase to be the hurtful one - all with the intent to score money or leverage.

BINGO!
All you bozos.....but I mean that as such nice bozos.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Though I think that politeness requires people to avoid phrases that are INTENTIONALLY HURTFUL, political correctness doesn't mean that at all - PC is normally used today for when someone says something harmless, then the hurt party pretends the other party really used the hurtful phrase, or equivocates the harmless phrase to be the hurtful one - all with the intent to score money or leverage

I agree with you 100% there.

The issue is where is the line between PC and politeness? What is the offended party really is offended, and isn't seeking redress -- does it count as PC still to object to the wording? And if someone really is offensive, does it change the offensiveness if the person they offended tries to seek redress?

Some of this comes from how much people want to learn about the people they interact with. If you already know them (either culturally or personally), it's not that hard. But if you don't, then there's more of a gap to close.

Lazy and arrogant people decide that it's entirely up to the other person to close the gap. On both sides.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

So you would use words such as "nigger", "kite", and "fag" in everyday conversation? I think that says a lot about YOU, and not anything good.

Personally, I prefer the term, Silly faggot...It just rolls off the tongue so much easier, and hangs nicely, in the air.

As to any recent examples, I just saw, in the last two weeks, liberal news pundits apologizing for the necessity of having to use the word, "Christmas"....basically, telling us, that's a word they'd rather have removed from the lexicon, because it offends them.

Just yesterday, I saw a discussion, with a woman, who wants "Illegal alien" removed from all news items, by mandate.

Where does it stop? I'm offended by people calling my half breed chickens mutts, and I demand that Obama no longer use that word, to describe himself.

Good grief, it's going to take me a month to get all of those words into my vocabulary.

Oh I don't know, I am sure you already have most of them down pat.

Jesse, Al, Hillary and Joe *are* all on TV pretty regularly, aren't they?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Good grief, it's going to take me a month to get all of those words into my vocabulary.

Oh I don't know, I am sure you already have most of them down pat.

Jesse, Al, Hillary and Joe *are* all on TV pretty regularly, aren't they?

Well they are all just beginners compared to those whose desire to go back to calling them what they have been historically called by good "conservatives"

Well done for being on the FAR right side once again ...

Well they are all just beginners compared to those whose desire to go back to calling them what they have been historically called by good "conservatives"

Since you think Jesse, Al, Hillary and Joe are conservatives, I guess everyone else *must* look like "far fringe right" to you.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Since you think Jesse, Al, Hillary and Joe are conservatives, I guess everyone else *must* look like "far fringe right" to you.

You did not do well in reading comprehension did you:ph34r::ph34r:

Much, MUCH better than you do in telepathy.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Never claimed telepathy... yet here ya are claiming reading comprehension???

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That is what we call facts not in evidence Mikeeeeeee:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Never claimed telepathy... yet here ya are claiming reading comprehension???

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That is what we call facts not in evidence Mikeeeeeee:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

There's no 'fact in evidence' that anyone here has a 'desire to go back to calling them what they have been historically called', either.

So, either YOU can't read what people are posting, you're using telepathy to discern what they're actually thinking, or you're lying about their views/motivations.

Which one is it, Jeanne?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

HOLY fuck... a gravity anomaly is showing up on the scanners... in Kosovo.:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

COme on ... yall know the good ole boys down yonder have some favorite pet names they like for Al and Jesse and even Hillary

I love it when they use those names... it reflects so well of their small little minds.

Perhaps in a few generations their ilk will die out.

HOLY fuck... a gravity anomaly is showing up on the scanners... in Kosovo.:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Yeah - makes up for the loss of gray matter there in WA state.

Tsk tsk tsk

More facts REALLLLY not in evidence:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Like your 'martial law' argument?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yeah - makes up for the loss of gray matter there in WA state.

Tsk tsk tsk

More facts REALLLLY not in evidence:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Like your 'martial law' argument?

Where is the big attack on our country that would have brought it about.. you keep MISSING the facts Mike

I woulda thought a computer guy would have a better grasp of a series of events.

Where is the big attack on our country that would have brought it about.. you keep MISSING the facts Mike

Like the fact that he never mentions martial law?

I woulda thought a computer guy would have a better grasp of a series of events.

Like Franks retiring in August and the interview being in September, so the "afraid of retribution" argument is out the window?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Like the fact that he never mentions martial law?

Like Franks retiring in August and the interview being in September, so the "afraid of retribution" argument is out the window?

AGain.. not very good with a sequence of events...:S:S:S

Come on Mike.. get with the program.... assign a few more brain cells to rubbing together to help the thought processes already.

If you do not think that there is retribution in the officer corp for being out of step and not fitting in with the rest of the accepted thinking you REALLLY have not been paying attention for all those years.

How many officers were sacked for not telling Rummy and Bush what they wanted to hear... or are you going to continue to deny that.

How many officers were sacked for not telling Rummy and Bush what they wanted to hear... or are you going to continue to deny that.

Nope, just continue to ask for proof - something mysteriously lacking from your arguments.

Maybe Dan Rather has it along with Bush's orders.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706