dj123

Why do you believe..,

I believe in God because I *feel* as much as I think. And I *feel* that there is something greater that makes all of this work. That's why.

Peace~
linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I believe in God because I *feel* as much as I think. And I *feel* that there is something greater that makes all of this work. That's why.

Peace~
linz

Good enough ,Lindsey.
I don't know how you "feel" about the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny.

As far as "all of this work"ing..,Lindsey,
Considering the suffering around the world with war and disease and famine, with so many so damn poor while others relax in such opulent splendor, do you "feel" that's how *God* wants it to be?

Blues,
DJ

Hey, you asked. You won't change my mind with the usual arguments. I've heard 'em. Took a kajillion philosophy and religion classes in my 26 years of formal education. That's my answer, if you really wanted to know. I stand by it.

Peace~
linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Hey, you asked. You won't change my mind with the usual arguments. I've heard 'em. Took a kajillion philosophy and religion classes in my 26 years of formal education. That's my answer, if you really wanted to know. I stand by it.

Peace~
linz

Fair enough ,Lindsey , and I would never attempt to change your mind.
I'm just curious about your "feeling".
Perhaps you could explain what you "feel" God is.
Could you do that?
Can you try?

Myself , I believe that God is everything in the universe.
But that's just me .

What is your God , Lindsey?

Fair Winds and Unlimited Ceilings,
DJ

I believe in science too! I'm a doctor. I rely on science every day. It's what I do. But science and religion (though I'm not particularly religious) aren't mutually exclusive. Our knowledge base is pretty small as far as the workings of the universe are concerned. What's outside of our knowlegde base, we have to make a best guess at. Whose best guess is right is an unknown today. But most of us believe something. But none of our beliefs are much more than a hunch based on our experiences, thoughts, and feelings.

linz
--

I believe in science because it is testable and open to revision when presented with evidence. Ya know, kinda lends credibility and all.

Very Good Mike,
Tell us about the "science" of global warming.
It appears to me that "scientists" are often influenced by dollars.
Now I'll agree that" honest" science is something that you can believe in but what of all those "scientific" trials conducted with corporate or government money?

Can you tell me that "scientists" never manipulate the data to favor their patron?

Blues,
DJ

Why do you believe..,

in Al -Queida?

Because their destruction is is well documented and proven around the world...especially in less protected nations. I understand their mentality and have seen it first hand.

I have seen the men who dedicate thier lives working 16 - 18 hours a day protecting us from them...and I'm not tallking about soldiers.

Or God,

It has always been evident within me...I trusted in many religions that have only led me to atheism...

Atheism had filled me with such pride and power that I felt as though I was God...but the true God cut me down. I began to wonder if I had gotten it all wrong... so I decided to read the only book that I've ever known to speak of the creator of the universe...but this time I tried to believe and understand with all my heart. It wasn't until I actually applied the concepts I've read that I saw the power of God...It has been the best thing that has ever happened to me and has given me hope and strength and peace even in my darkest hour which was as a christian...since then, my desire has been to live for other people since I've been completely fullfilled...it is the most difficult challenge I've ever experienced and I absolutely love it!

Or Santa Clause?

Santa clause was real...It's just that overtime people began to make him what they wanted him to be and not who he actually was...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

in Al -Queida?
Or God,
Or Santa Clause?

Blues,
DJ

I am a skeptic, so belief is not part of the equation.

Al Qaeda is consistent with the mindset of people I have known over the years (and do not particularly like). It fits.

"God?" You have to be kidding. I am not big on invisible friends.

Santa Claus? In the sense of the Byzantine prelate Nicholas, it is historically consistent. The Thomas Nast interpretation makes comic books seem like Science texts.

BSBD,

Winsor

Considering the suffering around the world with war and disease and famine, with so many so damn poor while others relax in such opulent splendor, do you "feel" that's how *God* wants it to be?

Blues,
DJ

My belief is that G*d does not create famine, natural disasters, disease, etc... Nor does he orchestrate any of our daily lives. He has given the world to us, to make our own decisions and destiny, to make right from wrong, war or peace.... and in the end we will each be judged on our actions.

Does G*d answer an occasional prayer to true believers or perform a miracle once and a while...? I like to believe so.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

i'm gonna go with the internet...

think about it...the late 80's - 90's were fabulous...

once the internet linked us all together, the world turned to shite!

and that is the point of worldly thinking...good intentions=hell...;)

Success!

Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Blues,
DJ

My belief is that G*d does not create famine, natural disasters, disease, etc... Nor does he orchestrate any of our daily lives. He has given the world to us, to make our own decisions and destiny, to make right from wrong, war or peace.... and in the end we will each be judged on our actions.

Does G*d answer an occasional prayer to true believers or perform a miracle once and a while...? I like to believe so.

G*d?? His name is Harold Witchart.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I have resisted contributing to these discussion as I think they rarely do much good. Still there are reasons (other than being whackjobs [not sure what those are exactly]) for believing in God. Here are three of mine.

First, believing in God gives me a way to handle the problem of pain. I can deal with self-inflicted pain. If someone does something stupid and get hurt, fine. If we bad habits, and suffer the consequences, OK. I also accept that pain is actually a gift from God. It is a warning. Pain lets me know my hand is too close to fire, or that something is growing inside me that shouldn’t be there.

The problem comes when so much suffering and pain is not self-inflicted. The evil of others, randomness, or genetics give me pause to wonder. I accept that part of the issue is that the enemy has usurped this gift for his ends. This problem has driven some, too many, to conclude that there is no God, or that He is not omni****. That does not give any help or answers either. Thus, believing in God provides me with some future comfort. God’s answer to this problem is not the ending of suffering here and now. Jesus did heal, and we see people healed all the time, but most suffering isn’t healed. God’s answer is, “Relief is coming.”

Second believing in God helps me resolve the problem of injustice. Psalm 10 is David’s journey into injustice. Evil seems to prosper, goodness no so much. Innocense does not seem to always pay off. Injustice, as with pain, had caused people to deny God. God’s word affirms that God sees, and justice is coming. Good things are not overlooked. Bad things will be revealed.

Finally, believing in God speaks about the problem of equity. There is such a disparity between the haves and have nots. Everyone has certain, likes and dislikes, based on education, history, tradition. Pretty people experience different from the not so pretty. I have noticed as I lose wait there is a difference in the way people act. Color, gender, economics, handicaps, are just a few of the things that experience inequity. Galatians tells us that in Christ there is no longer any difference. History has not caught up with God yet. One day we will see it.

This is just the basics of each of these. Some will point to things on this list and point at that believers have been and are some of the most prejudice people they know. Sadly I admit the truth in that. Believers in God are rarely what they should be, none of us are. There is more than these points to my belief in God, but this is where I start.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

13) Mans WORST creation (by far) was the Gods - they were created for power and control over the masses.

Wasn't the concept of "GOD" around before there were masses of people? I'm not convinced that the caveman's shaman come up with the idea so that he could be the big cheese in the group.

Maybe it would have been more to your point had you said, "the concept was bastardized to create power and control over the masses" by later civilizations? I would agree with that to an extent.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

"Just because YOU don't understand it, don't mean it don't make no sense." :)

A) To whom is the quote attributed?

B) Is there any reason for the execrable grammar?

C) One can understand every level of nuance and deem it nonsensical. Rubbish is rubbish.

"Just because YOU don't understand it, don't mean it don't make no sense." :)

A) To whom is the quote attributed?

B) Is there any reason for the execrable grammar?

C) One can understand every level of nuance and deem it nonsensical. Rubbish is rubbish.

One man's rubbish is another man's treasure.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

in Al -Queida?
Or God,
Or Santa Clause?

Blues,
DJ

Hmm.... I think #2 has probably been addressed to the point of redundancy on this forum, so I'll answer #3.

Francis Church said it way better than I ever could, and I don't think anyone's ever said it more perfectly, so I think I will borrow his words to answer you. Here's his response to Virginia O'Hanlon, published in the New York Sun in 1897.

Dear Editor—

I am 8 years old. Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus. Papa says, “If you see it in The Sun, it’s so.” Please tell me the truth, is there a Santa Claus?

Virginia O’Hanlon

Virginia, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men’s or children’s, are little. In this great universe of ours, man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies. You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if you did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that’s no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You tear apart the baby’s rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived could tear apart. Only faith, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives and lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.