beowulf

Why are you an Atheist?

Truth is verifiable. Or, more accurately, truth is a fact that has been verified.

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=truth

Ya...and the next truth is that organisms live off arsenic, until it is found that perhaps they don't...at least not according to our truth.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Good luck with that. I have read the bible. It's a nice collection of stories, but it's no more then that.

+1

I have read the bible too but it has been awhile. I don't think the stories were very "nice" at all. Most of them are horrible. Certainly not the sort of thing you should read to young children unless you seek to give them nightmares.

Ancient scriptures reflect the times they were written, very dark and troubled times. There are some good messages included but most of it is an example of the superstitious beliefs of the day. The book of revelation is nothing more than the rantings of a madman. Crazy stuff for sure.

The bible is no more real than the Silmarillion, it is just a story. The latter was better written and with more imagination.

God doesn't write books, people write books.
Onward and Upward!

I have read the bible too but it has been awhile. I don't think the stories were very "nice" at all. Most of them are horrible.

ya...I remember thinking wtf is this?:D

but I remember saying to myself...you know, it's really not that different from today...maybe this book is relevant...

...and when I looked at it from that prespective, I was able to finally find the practicality that changed my life.

The book of revelation is nothing more than the rantings of a madman. Crazy stuff for sure.

Not necessarilly man...what if you lived back in then in the ancient times and seen a vision of the future...what would a helicopter look like to you...how about a battleship...a submarine...meteorites?

How would you describe it?

Do you consider Nostradamus as a crazy man...I'm willing to bet you watched the history channel specials with enthusiasim...possibly hope.

The bible is no more real than the Silmarillion, it is just a story. The latter was better written and with more imagination.

How deep have you studied it?

apparently not much...

even if you are a hardcore athiest that read the bible and believe the it is full of shit, you'd certainly say that the old testament was much more imaginative...that's just basic stuff...:S

God doesn't write books, people write books.

true, but God inspired the books which explains why the prophets didn't even uderstand what they were writing when they wrote it...but we do now.;)

You speak of the bible the same way a 5 year old speaks about Superman.

In your eyes it is real and that is all that counts. It does not matter if it is true or not.

The difference is the child grows up and realizes that Superman is not real.
Onward and Upward!

You speak of the bible the same way a 5 year old speaks about Superman.

In your eyes it is real and that is all that counts. It does not matter if it is true or not.

The difference is the child grows up and realizes that Superman is not real.

Sorry...I was just trying to get a feel for who you are...it's hard to tell by your screen image...

...but thanks for not getting all defensive and answering my questions with rational discussion.

A lie does not negate the definition of the word.

Ok great...so science it not truth...thanks.

No, science is not truth, it's science.

But it is a much, much better way of finding things that are true than religion or faith.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I dont believe in a god because yeah, theres no PROOF in it. Bible is jus a bunch of stories written by man, who are fallable. Why is their opinion any better than mine? Who says they are right and i am wrong? Just because an idea is popular dosent mean its right. History has proved that multiple times over. Some of the, hell ill go with MOST of the biggiest atrocities and genocidal events are/ were committed in the name of someones "god" or over some sort of difference in belief. So i choose not to believe in anything really. Just the way i personally am. I dont push my ideas on anyone and expect the same courtesy to be extended to me. Live and let live.

So, where does the basis of right and wrong come from? One must have a standard, from which to judge.

You know, you sound like Obama, saying that our country is nothing special.

>>So, where does the basis of right and wrong come from? One must have a standard, from which to judge.

I baffles me that people still think this is a good argument for the existence of (any) god. There is a clear evolutionary advantage to cooperating within and outside of our species. So, the basis of right and wrong clearly comes from actions that either help or hurt the survival of the species and, by extension, the individual.

I dont believe in a god because yeah, theres no PROOF in it. Bible is jus a bunch of stories written by man, who are fallable. Why is their opinion any better than mine? Who says they are right and i am wrong? Just because an idea is popular dosent mean its right. History has proved that multiple times over. Some of the, hell ill go with MOST of the biggiest atrocities and genocidal events are/ were committed in the name of someones "god" or over some sort of difference in belief. So i choose not to believe in anything really. Just the way i personally am. I dont push my ideas on anyone and expect the same courtesy to be extended to me. Live and let live.

So, where does the basis of right and wrong come from? One must have a standard, from which to judge.

You must fear burning in Hell forever to do right?:o:S

Are all you guys trying to talk Coreece out of his beliefs?

Ask yourselves...Why?

Why not?

That's no answer. Tell us WHY.

If he didn't want a debate he wouldn't be posting here.

So...it's your perception that people only post here because they want to debate?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

And, once again, the prison demographics really support that argument, don't they? All those atheists breaking the law, doing whatever they want...

A caller, on a radio show, recently pointed out the irony of the fact that liberals/progressives do all they can, to remove any mention of Christianity or religion, in general, from all children....Well, until they get sent to jail or prison from no moral guidance. Then, they are willing to throw bibles and preachers at them, by the droves.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You must fear burning in Hell forever to do right?

Leave a child to its own resources, without some kind of guidance, and see what you get....Generally, a selfish, lying thief...Of course, they don't start lying, until they realize that what they've done is wrong.

>>So, where does the basis of right and wrong come from? One must have a standard, from which to judge.

I baffles me that people still think this is a good argument for the existence of (any) god. There is a clear evolutionary advantage to cooperating within and outside of our species. So, the basis of right and wrong clearly comes from actions that either help or hurt the survival of the species and, by extension, the individual.

Very interesting.Which side of the politcal equation, is most willing to prevent the propigation of the species? You know, it's those evil humans who are destroying our wonderful world.

No, science is not truth, it's science.

But it is a much, much better way of finding things that are true than religion or faith.

Unless it's Climate Science and we all know how that turned out...They gave as much of a black eye to science, as did the Inquisition, to Christianity.

That's no answer. Tell us WHY.

I post because it amuses me to do so. Do you have a problem with that?

So...it's your perception that people only post here because they want to debate?

Not the only reason, but the main one. It is, after all, the raison d'etre of the forum itself.

Coreece likes to try and persuade people that his book is really telling the truth, I like pointing out the flaws in his reasoning.

Why do you think that logical flaws should pass by uncommented on for this particular subject only?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I have it on good authority that some people post here simply to ridicule the patently idiotic.

As far as talking anyone out of their beliefs goes, what is the percentage in that? Who cares what they think - assuming they do in the first place?

If someone wants to believe in Leprechauns, that is their prerogative. It is also my right to laugh at them if they are dumb enough to come out and admit it.