JohnRich

State bird, state flower... now a state firearm?

News:
State bird, state flower... now a state firearm?

Virtually all states have a state bird, a state flower and a state motto. But Utah soon could be among the first to have an official state firearm — the Browning model 1911 .45-caliber handgun, designed by Utah gunmaker John Moses Browning.

“It would be very appropriate going into 2011 because it is the 100-year anniversary of the Browning model 1911,” Wimmer said. “It has a rich history. It was in every war from World War I to World War II, Korea, Vietnam and all the recent wars. It is still used by some military units and many police agencies.”
Source: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50819798-76/state-utah-firearm-browning.html.csp

I second the motion!

What are the others?

Montana- Yellowstone NP, Glacier NP, PRAIRIE!, and dinosaurs to dig up!

Wyoming - Grand Teton NP, Jackson, Snake River, Yellowstone NP

Colorado- Rocky Mountains, Durango, D&S Railroad

Florida - Key West! Everglades NP.

Louisiana - New Orleans! Swamp!

South Dakota - Black Hills! Wind Cave NP!

So, um... most everywhere but here? Why am I sitting here in downtown LA again? >:(

What are the others?

Montana- Yellowstone NP, Glacier NP, PRAIRIE!, and dinosaurs to dig up!

Wyoming - Grand Teton NP, Jackson, Snake River, Yellowstone NP

Colorado- Rocky Mountains, Durango, D&S Railroad

Florida - Key West! Everglades NP.

Louisiana - New Orleans! Swamp!

South Dakota - Black Hills! Wind Cave NP!

So, um... most everywhere but here? Why am I sitting here in downtown LA again? >:(

I should have been clearer.:ph34r:

What are the other favorite things about Utah?:$
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

OH!

Zion NP.
Bryce NP
Capital Reef NP
Moab
Brian Head
Cedar Breaks NM
The Cowboy Smokehouse Cafe in Panguitch
Best Friends Animal Sanctuary
My parents' condo
Meadows full of columbine in springtime

I could keep going...

OH!

Zion NP.
Bryce NP
Capital Reef NP
Moab
Brian Head
Cedar Breaks NM
The Cowboy Smokehouse Cafe in Panguitch
Best Friends Animal Sanctuary
My parents' condo
Meadows full of columbine in springtime

I could keep going...
And now the state .45.

I must visit.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I was told that Mr. Browning was a genius in terms of gun design. I'm trying to remember some of the other weapons he designed. I think the BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle) was one.

They still make Browning rifles. I remember the old Browning shotguns...Was he the founder of that company?

The 45's we shot in training were wore out. I'd like to shoot a quality 1911 45 someday. Or better yet, own one. I've heard they are a great weapon....Lot's of stopping power!

I was told that Mr. Browning was a genius in terms of gun design. I'm trying to remember some of the other weapons he designed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Browning#Firearms

The story I've heard about his invention of semi-auto mechanisms goes like this. He was shooting rifles over tall prairie grass one day with friends. He noticed that the grass would be bent forward from the high-velocity gases escaping from the barrel behind the bullet, but then return back to the upright position once again. This is what gave him the idea to harness those gases to create a self-loading mechanism for the rifle.

rock island armory 1911's are no-frills, pretty cheap, good quality. can get one with a nice dove-tail safety and decent sights. not night sights, but that's fixable for pretty cheaply. (less than $100 installed around here)
--
Rob

Didn't he design the 1919 30 cal machine gun and the M2 50 Cal also?

Yup, he designed those and a LOT of other weapons, many which he sold to Colt or other manufacturers to make under their name.

His father too, Jonathan Browning was a gun inventor as well, had a shop in Western Illinois you can tour. He did a lot of work on early repeating weapons.

***Interesting Factoid ~ John Browning grew up in a Polygamous household with 18 other siblings (Well, family history and Wikipedia don't agree on some of those numbers, but that's a different story). Well, he had a brother "John Edward Browning", who was very involved in manufacturing and designing firearms, and many times when you hear about a "John Browning" design, it was actually his brother "John Edward Browning" ~ so both of their designs became attributed to John Moses just by similarity of their names and time. John Ed was the machinist who prototyped almost all of their designs and made final improvements.
=========Shaun ==========

John Browning made all men equal.

Except for Chuck Norris, who is better than equal.

Until it comes to Skydiving, I was on the plane when he did a tandem, he was scared shitless, and swore he would never do it again, when he landed...

Sorry folks, superman has a weakness!;)