turtlespeed

Supporting your favorite troops

Evidently, Glenn Beck has taken to wearing a Navy SEAL pin that was given to him to wear.

I believe that is a good way to support those that lay down their lives and volunteer to make the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom, or rather our illusion of freedom.

This thread won't get nearly as many views or replys.

I say that because it only has one, straight forward subject, and there is no clandestined attempt to embarass anyone.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

It's a miniature replica of the Budweiser; there's nothing wrong with him wearing it.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

It's a nice gesture but fairly empty, kind of like the people who think changing their Facebook profile to a cartoon character will do a damn thing to stop child abuse.

My response has nothing to do with Beck - I'd have the same response if it were Brian Williams or Bill O'Reilly or Rachel Maddow wearing a pin. It may have personal significance to the wearer, but that's about it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'm not a big fan of him wearing it. The right to wear that sort of insignia is earned, not granted.

But if the operators who gave it to him are okay with it, then I'm not dumb enough to get into a fight with them:P

Anybody that sees him wearing it and who thinks he earned it is a moron.

If he really wants to honor the guys who gave it to him, he should have an "Honor Box" made.

It's a display case, with a glass top. The "Budweiser", the rank insignia, medals/ribbons won, the (dress) nametag of the guy he's honoring, and maybe a picture of him.
Usually the NOK gets the flag from the coffin, that often goes in too (Honor Boxes can be fairly large under certain circumstances).

If Beck displayed that in a prominent place on his set, instead of wearing the insignia, it would be clear who he was honoring, and it would be clear that it wasn't for his own self-promotion.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

It's a nice gesture but fairly empty, kind of like the people who think changing their Facebook profile to a cartoon character will do a damn thing to stop child abuse.

My response has nothing to do with Beck - I'd have the same response if it were Brian Williams or Bill O'Reilly or Rachel Maddow wearing a pin. It may have personal significance to the wearer, but that's about it.

What if he had a Navy Seal flag hanging in the background?

How do you feel about those "empty" pink ribbons that people wear to show their support for the fight against breast cancer?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

I think if a person wears some kind of military commemoration flair in a way and/or of a design that makes it clear that he's not misrepresenting personal military service, then it's ethically OK. But if it in any way implies or suggests a veteran status that is not the case, and he should have known that it might give the wrong impression, then ethically it's a dick move. Probably need to examine each example on a case by case basis.

I don't wear a pin to support our troops, but I do send Girl Scout cookies to the soldiers in Iraq every year. Does that count?

ABSOLUTELY!

Any care package or gift that they receive over there is appreciated more that most people would fathom.

I have seen the selfless act of sending someone an anonymous package with a bunch of letters, and trinkets, and food stuff, make even the toughest soldier get misty-eyed.

MMMmmmm....Girl Scout cookies

The first year I sent cookies, I got a note back from my friend who was in the Army: "Thanks. Send more cookies." :D

Of course - GS cookies are little boxes of crack, especially the samoas!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Evidently, Glenn Beck has taken to wearing a Navy SEAL pin that was given to him to wear.I believe that is a good way to support those that lay down their lives and volunteer to make the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom, or rather our illusion of freedom.

I say that because it only has one, straight forward subject, and there is no clandestined attempt to embarass anyone.

THAT is what the whinnie ass 'never coulld be a SEAL", post was sniveling about...I wondered!:S

I actually wondered that for a while, then figured it was an Inside leveral joke...

OH MY GAWD...

I have Military medals "GIVEN" to me by the men that Eearned them...Does that mean I have no rigth to share them?

It is not like I "Ever" claimed to be one of them, Yet they respected me enough, to honor me by sharing their accomplishemnt!

I had no clue it was a lefty inside joke, because unlike them, I don't watch Beck!:S

Bets are on, I will be banned for this honest from the heart post, OR it will be deleted!

MMMmmmm....Girl Scout cookies

The first year I sent cookies, I got a note back from my friend who was in the Army: "Thanks. Send more cookies." :D

Of course - GS cookies are little boxes of crack, especially the samoas!

Thin mints - they keep better when they fly over.:D

Any care package or gift that they receive over there is appreciated more that most people would fathom.

I have seen the selfless act of sending someone an anonymous package with a bunch of letters, and trinkets, and food stuff, make even the toughest soldier get misty-eyed.

I think they stopped allowing "any soldier" packages after 9/11.

When I sent my friend cookies, he later told me he'd asked for more because he'd shared the boxes I'd sent with the enlisted guys, and he only took one (cookie, not box). He said for every soldier that gets something there are ten or twenty that don't.

I think this year is the first one where I don't have anyone to address cookies to. My friends are all home safe and can get cookies from the girls ringing the doorbell.

I'm glad your friends are home and safe.

The military isn't accepting the 'any soldier' stuff anymore, but there are still places like Soldier's Angels that lets you 'adopt' a soldier and that *is* allowed.

Nina has 'adopted' a team of soldiers over in Afghanistan and is currently stuffing a box with 50 little bags of candy for Christmas for them.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I personally wouldn't feel any differently than if I saw the pin, but I will also admit to being somewhat ignorant on whether such a symbol would offend those who had served in the Seals or if they would find it a fitting tribute.

How do you feel about those "empty" pink ribbons that people wear to show their support for the fight against breast cancer?

Same. It's a nice gesture and if it's important to the wearer, cool. Even more cool if it's backed up by fundraising or donation or volunteering that supports the cause. I'm all about action. I've got no problem with symbols but that's all they are.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I personally wouldn't feel any differently than if I saw the pin, but I will also admit to being somewhat ignorant on whether such a symbol would offend those who had served in the Seals or if they would find it a fitting tribute.

Same. It's a nice gesture and if it's important to the wearer, cool. Even more cool if it's backed up by fundraising or donation or volunteering that supports the cause. I'm all about action. I've got no problem with symbols but that's all they are.

Besides just being symbols, they are a form of advertising, advertising is how you get a message out to the masses.

Evidently, Glenn Beck has taken to wearing a Navy SEAL pin that was given to him to wear.

I believe that is a good way to support those that lay down their lives and volunteer to make the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom, or rather our illusion of freedom.

GB is a personal friend of Marcus Luttrell, former NAVY SEAL, TEAM 10. I don't know for certain but, I suspect that is where he got the lapel pin. He did a NAVY SEAL update as recently as 7 Dec 10.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Marcus Luttrell Allot of family members wear the lapel trident pin in support of the SEAL/s my mother wears two(love u mom) Mr. Beck is like family to me and a huge supporter of the military. Big difference in claiming to be a frogman and actually being one. He has my blessing, thnks to everyone for the heads up though.

Txfrog

A quote from his FB page.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!