Bolas

And the next bubble to burst could be...

Most loans are as easy to pay off as a car? My current car cost about that much. Financing for five years runs about $350 a month. The same amount in student loans also costs about $350 per month, for twenty five fuqqin years...

Nonsense.

5 years @350/mo = 21,000 in payments. With the car market where it is right now, maybe you got 0% financing. Probably not, however for a recent grad and for a 60 month term. Still, to take the extreme, let's say the car did cost 21,000.

25 years @350/mo = $105,000. Bill had mentioned 24,000 as a typical student loan debt, so let's assume that's the principle here.
@5%, the monthly payment would be $140.
@10%, the monthly would be $218
@15%, the monthly would be $307

@17.3%, you get the $350 monthly payment you talk about. Though for any extra $70/mo (420) you pay it in 10 years. $600/mo to pay in 5 years.

But student loans don't cost 17%, or even close.

The people that get crushed by student loans are the ones paying $25k/year or more to private, barely accredited schools for degrees in subjects that don't pay very well. Worse - the cooking/arts schools which cost just as much, but offer very little income afterwards. For those people, it's no longer like a new car loan (which is not affordable to many grads anyway), but instead is like a mortgage on a home, with a debt that is twice their income.

Most loans are as easy to pay off as a car? My current car cost about that much. Financing for five years runs about $350 a month. The same amount in student loans also costs about $350 per month, for twenty five fuqqin years...

Nonsense.

5 years @350/mo = 21,000 in payments. With the car market where it is right now, maybe you got 0% financing. Probably not, however for a recent grad and for a 60 month term. Still, to take the extreme, let's say the car did cost 21,000.

25 years @350/mo = $105,000. Bill had mentioned 24,000 as a typical student loan debt, so let's assume that's the principle here.
@5%, the monthly payment would be $140.
@10%, the monthly would be $218
@15%, the monthly would be $307

@17.3%, you get the $350 monthly payment you talk about. Though for any extra $70/mo (420) you pay it in 10 years. $600/mo to pay in 5 years.

But student loans don't cost 17%, or even close.

The people that get crushed by student loans are the ones paying $25k/year or more to private, barely accredited schools for degrees in subjects that don't pay very well. Worse - the cooking/arts schools which cost just as much, but offer very little income afterwards. For those people, it's no longer like a new car loan (which is not affordable to many grads anyway), but instead is like a mortgage on a home, with a debt that is twice their income.

Nonsense??? I'll struggle to keep this peaceful. I'd PM you a copy of a US Dept. of EDU statement just to show you. Frankly, it's none of your fuqqin business, though. Hundreds of thousands of burned former students are wrong? We're all just making it up? You need to get a clue. Did you even look @the site I posted? There are all sorts of games EDU plays while you're in repayment. The student loan thievery that has been going on for decades is a civil war in the making. W/that level of hatred in the air. You might want to choose your words a little more carefully.

It's basic math, and I spelled it out. You're either leaving out detail (like not paying for a decade), or grossly rounding numbers. If you want to insert data (interest rates are most useful), it can go further.

But there's no way that the same loan amount takes 5 times longer to pay.

It's basic math, and I spelled it out. You're either leaving out detail (like not paying for a decade), or grossly rounding numbers. If you want to insert data (interest rates are most useful), it can go further.

I've typed up a few replies to this. I'm not going to post any of them. Bottom line? We're talking about the fed govt. They're thieves. PERIOD. Student loans fall outside almost every consumer protection law there is. That's by design, Einstein. It gives them all sorts of freedom to play games once you're in repayment. Did you know they can pull your professional license w/the slightest hiccup in payments? There are Doctors who had a health problem for a few months or a year. Their licenses were pulled because they missed a couple of payments. Their loan principles went from $150K to $500K or more. Now they've no way to pay it back, or to get the debt cleared. People are being killed over this. These MFrs make dirty lending practices in other markets look like the Boyscouts. This program has become quite the cash cow in Washington. Even the thieves are conceding that they'll have to stop stealing so much, eventually. There's a lot of this on that website I posted. You should take a look. Then, you might have a slight fuqqin clue what you're running your mouth about.

There's no way it takes 25yrs? That's a standard repayment period from the feds. Students were defaulting in droves. So, slick Willy upped the repayment schedules to 25yrs. I'm getting the distinct feeling your daddy paid for your schooling... Have you ever had to deal w/any of this?

I don't know you, Jason. I don't want to, either. You're not worth the jail time. Feel free to talk this kind of garbage in your travels. It won't take long. Watch what happens to you. This conversation is over.

I've typed up a few replies to this. I'm not going to post any of them. Bottom line? We're talking about the fed govt. They're thieves. PERIOD. Student loans fall outside almost every consumer protection law there is. That's by design, Einstein. It gives them all sorts of freedom to play games once you're in repayment. Did you know they can pull your professional license w/the slightest hiccup in payments? There are Doctors who had a health problem for a few months or a year. Their licenses were pulled because they missed a couple of payments. Their loan principles went from $150K to $500K or more. Now they've no way to pay it back, or to get the debt cleared. People are being killed over this. These MFrs make dirty lending practices in other markets look like the Boyscouts. This program has become quite the cash cow in Washington. Even the thieves are conceding that they'll have to stop stealing so much, eventually. There's a lot of this on that website I posted. You should take a look. Then, you might have a slight fuqqin clue what you're running your mouth about.

There's no way it takes 25yrs? That's a standard repayment period from the feds. Students were defaulting in droves. So, slick Willy upped the repayment schedules to 25yrs. I'm getting the distinct feeling your daddy paid for your schooling... Have you ever had to deal w/any of this?

I don't know you, Jason. I don't want to, either. You're not worth the jail time. Feel free to talk this kind of garbage in your travels. It won't take long. Watch what happens to you. This conversation is over.

without adding fees, or upping the intrest rate, how does it take longer to pay off $26000 at $350 per month? This is math I learned in high school.

Changing the payment schedule doesn't force you to pay less. Irecently finished paying off my wife's student loans every month. They payment requested by the payment schedule was $50. As I didn't want to wait that long to pay it off, I doubled the amount sent, and you know what? It got paid off sooner. (this is stuff from my algebra 2 class in 10 grade)

I get that you're pissed about the way your loans have been handled. I don't like that student loans are exempt from a bunch of policies (as you stated).

So I made the choice to gtfo from under them. I know too many people that bitch about their student loans, while they watch the game on cable TV in front of their 42" HD TV. Priorities.... pay off your debts first, then buy the TV. If you're being treated unfairly, get a lawyer.
--
Rob

I've typed up a few replies to this. I'm not going to post any of them. Bottom line? We're talking about the fed govt. They're thieves. PERIOD. Student loans fall outside almost every consumer protection law there is. That's by design, Einstein.

Don't get angry with me because you don't know any better. I doubt it makes you feel any better, and it does nothing for your finances.

The Feds are about as honest as it gets for lenders. If we really want to do this comparison realistically, the young kid goes to the car dealer and gets taken on the financing. 15% (or higher interest) because he has no credit history, or more importantly, because he didn't shop a credit union or any where before going to test drive. Worse, the loan front loads the finance changes or prevents prepayment, so once he signs, he's stuck with it. That's an extra 7-8k in finance charges that might have been avoidable. Still, only pays 30k in those 5 years. Not remotely close to 105k.

The Feds may give you the option to pay over 25 years, but it's not going to be in your interest to do so. Much like paying the minimum on a credit card. The Feds will happily take more money up front, and as I wrote, it takes only a small difference to reduce a 25 year loan to a 10 year.

You're correct in that I didn't deal in loans. I worked 4 summers and 3 of 4 years, paying about 60%. I also opted for a UC over Caltech, saving 80k there.

I'm not without empathy for some of those saddled with loans, esp the doctors. But when you talk about hundreds of thousands of students getting screwed over...I've read many of the articles with anecdotal stories and the majority of these were self inflicted.

Where in my post did I mention anything about college faculty? I'm the first one to say they should be well paid. But please show me the justification for a 439% increase in college tuition from 1982-2007 while the medium family income rose 147% during the same period. I remember having to dish out well over 1000 a semester on textbooks 10 years ago. One year I paid over 250 for an chem book. Just because it was the new edition, the previous edition was 3 years old.

I wrote this at the same time I posted above, but... didn’t have a chance to proof nor decided if I wanted to post... but ah, oh yes. Definitely want to post now.

Student loans, will be fine... especially since our corrupt Federal Government has, yet again, stepped outside of their constitutionally limited powers and tried to end private funding for student loans... even though, currently, financial institutions act as a middleman between low/middle income students and the federal government. Those like, Sallie Mae, provide student loans at low interest rates that the federal government guarantees in case of default. And "when necessary," these lenders are subsidized to keep rates low. Sallie Mae pays a fee to issue a loan that is guaranteed by the federal government.

However, if it were up to them, Sallie Mae would again be federally controlled, just as with Fannie and Freddie... which has received over 2+ trillion in bailouts, combined under Clinton, Bush, and Obama... though, no one seems to talk about that.

P.S. My student loan, for my BS in Business... Sallie Mae! The only funding that was available... and I have GREAT credit!

P.S.S. GO TO COMMUNITY COLLEGE FIRST, DAMNIT! And/Or stay in state. That’s what I did... and took 95% of my courses through TCC, online. Having ADD and retaining very little from lecture, it works great for me... read a book, take test. DONE!

Then... transfer to a reasonable college. Like here in Hampton Roads... you can transfer to Old Dominion University... or, where Thomas Jefferson went, William and Mary.

Not only do you pay half the price for your first two years of college, but also, you get the exact same degree as if you went to ODU or W and M for all 4 years.

And whether you were to attend either college, or any college... if you can’t afford the loan/tuition, don’t take out the money! IT’S CALLED PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!

Ya know, one of those Founding Principles of our Nation.

200K for a BS degree... WHAT AN IDIOT! I mean, s**t! I would at least expect a Masters for that money, even with the living expenses!

“Space, for instance, took out $12,000 in federal loans and borrowed $189,000 from private lender Sallie Mae. In an email interview, Space said she spent the money on tuition and room and board for four years; two summer semesters; a three-month study abroad program in Ireland; and books for three semesters. Some $20,000 of her debt is accrued interest. (Interest rates on her loans range from 3 percent to 9 percent.)”

You studied abroad in Ireland, (for sociology?)... AND, now you want others to pay for your degree... WOW, that’s pathetic!

If you lived at home with mommy and daddy...
ODU annual tuition - $7758. -- William and Mary - $12,000.

She was paying 50K! F**k ... That! If you can’t afford it... don’t go away to college... you are entitled to NOTHING!

Except that line in the DOI... which you are entitled too... from God. ;)

And honestly... it doesn’t make a difference where you go... all you need is that piece of paper. If you want to go to a party school... hey, Personal Responsibility... and have fun with the STD’s!

“Beep. Oh, I've got AIDS again, better take my NyQuil Cold, Flu and AIDS.” GIGGITY GOO!

I’ll give you a prime example: I was planning to go to medical school... and was told by an MD at my hospital, that EVMS sucked. However, I argued with that MD... that I can go to EVMS (which would allow me to live at home and save an enormous amount of money before I have to move for my residency)... and be a far better Attending ER Physician than someone who when to Harvard, who put in half the effort that I did, at the, crap school.

Another perfect example... Lincoln... who, after he was taught how to read and write, taught himself... and taught himself Law too.

Harvard and others are name brands. Fuck Harvard... I’ll stick with EVMS, In-State... though, just an example... because, I’m not longer going to medical school.

I would have been a great ER Physician too... oh well, shit happens.

Giggity Giggity, Giggity Goo!

Reading is fundamental... everything you need to know is on the Internet. I spent well over two weeks reading everything I saw before I took out my student loans. If you don’t have Internet access, go to the public library...

I am quite tired of hear the bitching, from pathetic people, like you... Space!

And if you have the ability to get a BS in Sociology, you have the ability to understand the concept, that 200K, is a load of money! And, as with many careers, an internship or the concept, of “working your way up from the bottom,” applies, so no, you won’t be making great money to start, just because you have a piece of paper.

Additionally... anyone who has had a job before (Space worked in retail and at restaurants in HS and college), who has had bills and has had to make a budget. Would know that there is no way in hell, $891 a month is reasonable. Mine, is 81.85 a month. And I pay a minimum of 100 a month to pay off the loan faster and reduce my interest.

Space... you are pathetic and should not have gone to Northeastern... and if you couldn’t afford the tuition... THEN YOU CAN’T AFFORD A TRIP TO IRELAND EITHER!

(Northeastern officials did not respond to an interview request.)

Good, they shouldn’t have to! She's a stupid kid!

You'd think would-be borrowers would understand the impact of borrowing that much for college, but Space says that's not the case. "I think it is essential for young people to have someone sit down and explain how [loans] affect your credit, how much the debt will be with interest, and how this will truly change life later on. Many people say loaded things, like, 'go to the best school you can get into,' or 'student loans are considered good debt.' Solely following this advice led me to the place I'm at today," she said in an email.

Again... Stupid Kid!

Sallie Mae requires its private student loans to be certified by the school's financial aid office to ensure that the amount borrowed is no more than the cost of attendance, less any other financial aid received.

Yup, I couldn’t borrow a penny more than the cost of my education. And if annual tuition was 50K... that’s why they gave her, 50K to start.

As for Space, she says she is determined to pay off her debt and regrets the path she took to get her degree: "Everyone from Barack Obama to Bill Gates keeps pushing a college education as the way to secure one's economic future. That is a view that should be heavily qualified."

Education is the right path... at a reasonable school.

Again, stupid kid!

Even bank tellers require a business degree these days.

Ah, that's not true...

I was a teller for quite a while with two different banks. As well as my sister is currently a teller and in a supervisory roll, a job recommended to her by me. And she has been, working her way up from the bottom, with the eventual goal of working in Human Resource Management, or other... She currently has a BS, attained after becoming a teller and is finishing her Masters. She has student loans as well and does not make “good money,” but she will in the near future.

One of the main requirements for Bank Tellers... is “money handling experience.”

I worked at Food Lion for two years, and worked my way from a bagger/cashier, into the office, a supervisory roll, where I supervised the front-end... counted down tills, counted the safe, and handled daily/nightly bank deposits.

You do not need a degree... to be a teller.

What a college education offers is a shot at an interesting career,

That’s a weird way to word it...

As I have seen from many friends who have changed their majors, many times... college is where you learn, what you don’t want to do.

one that can (hopefully) motivate a person to head off to work every morning and feel good about it, all for the cost of a new car.

If you aren’t motivated in college, why would you be motivated after? Unless of course its accounting... because the school part sucks, but the job is doable and pays well.

And what happened to the motivation of, doing honest work? I have cleaned toilets, mopped floors.

Honest work... and hard work pays off.

Getting rid of student loans would limit such careers to students who come from situations where they already have in place the resources to pay all the costs up front, which for all intents and purposes means wealthy families.

Where do you see talk about ending student loans?

P.S.S. GO TO COMMUNITY COLLEGE FIRST, DAMNIT! And/Or stay in state. That’s what I did... and took 95% of my courses through TCC, online. Having ADD and retaining very little from lecture, it works great for me... read a book, take test. DONE!

Then... transfer to a reasonable college. Like here in Hampton Roads... you can transfer to Old Dominion University... or, where Thomas Jefferson went, William and Mary.

Fantastic Advice. I went to State For my BS and MS, and I realized that after it was all said and done (well, I have 1 semester left for the MS, just need to defend). Well, I looked back, and I realized that I paid an extra $10,000 (about) to take the gen eds (first 2 years of college) at the big school ~ I could have taken them down the street for 1/4 the price at community college and transferred them over.

200K for a BS degree... WHAT AN IDIOT! I mean, s**t! I would at least expect a Masters for that money, even with the living expenses!

You studied abroad in Ireland, (for sociology?)... AND, now you want others to pay for your degree... WOW, that’s pathetic!
She was paying 50K! F**k ... That! If you can’t afford it... don’t go away to college... you are entitled to NOTHING!

I agree with you 100%. I have had Brother-in-Laws that went to expen$ive East-Coast Law Schools AND got LL.M's (not just JD's) AND went for 1 year study abroads in Ireland and came out with 75% as much debt as she did without scholarships. I just read her story and thought "Jeezus how did she spend that!". I'm trying to crunch the numbers for that chic, and I just can't seem to figure out where the extra $75,000 went, even after being VERY generous with her living arrangements and transportation needs.
=========Shaun ==========

ps... I went to KState, we have a fantastic Engineering School and may other programs that are on a national level (Architecture and Arch Engineering is a biggie, so is Vet Med and Ag research). I didn't get jack shit for scholarships (my 3.6 wasn't good enough for a white kid like me), I used student loans for School, rent, and held a part time job at an engineering firm to pay living expenses and food....

And my total Debt for a BS and MS Degree in Engineering: $38,000. Which I'll be happy to pay back.

And if I would have gone to Community College for 2 years, It would be closer to $30,000.

Damn, I'm just boggled about how that chic racked up that loan... I mean, just because it's offered, doesn't mean you have to accept it...
=========Shaun ==========

Problem is that no one takes a loan they can pay off. They take it in the hopes that things will go their way in the future.

What...!? That is total crap... :D

People take loans so they can achieve their desires in life, for the things that they don’t currently have the funding for, but as bolas said, have a plan to pay them off and they sacrifice, risk, and, interest, to secure those funds.

I took out a loan for my skydiving gear when I was 18. The total interest on my two year Credit Union signature loan was $300.

Renting gear... costing 30 bucks more a jump... after just 10 fun jumps, I paid for my loan.

I worked my ass off at Food Lion and picked up all the hours I could, and I paid it off in less than a year! I still have all my loan documents too. :)
Sorry, but your line of thinking is horribly skewed...

No medical student can pay off their student loans using their salary as a resident. They hope to make much more money in the future, by getting a job they haven't even applied for yet, much less interviewed for.

And no medical student expects too! As a resident, you are not an Attending Physician... you are still a student! This is the time period were you prove you are not a f**k up and are going to get people killed. After your residency... (making 30-40K per year) you will be able to get a job... somewhere. It may be in the hood, but you will be able to secure a position as an Attending Physician and will be able to pay off your loans if you budget properly and make paying off those loans your priority.

Loved hearing the stories of an MD I frequently worked with, who did his residency in a very rough part of Atlanta... hilarious! :D:S

And if you work your ass off in both medical school and as a resident, you will have plenty of MD’s who will give you references in the future. I can give you a list 2 pages long of all the MDs who would be more than happy to provide me with references in the future, after the 4 years and 2 months I busted my ass for them in a local community ER as an ER Tech II.

Few home buyers can afford to pay off their mortgage when they first get it. They hope to make more money as time goes on. This is usually a safe bet since salaries tend to go up.

Crap... Crap... Crap. ;)

No home buyer can pay off their mortgage at first... otherwise they would not need to take out a mortgage. And if you take out a mortgage for more than you can afford on your current income... you are an idiot! Everything should be based on current income... as bolas said.

This is usually a safe bet since salaries tend to go up.

Yeah, ah... not right now they aren’t.

And your last paragraph, isn’t even worth addressing...

:)

Well, very few people do _that_ - but many people have loans that are very hard to pay back.

Anyone who does what you explained, is an idiot!

Hard to pay back...? Like what?

They justify it by thinking they will 'flip' the house before the payments become crushing, or their company will make it big before the debt becomes unmanageable.

And when they default on the loan, they got what they deserved... Personal Responsibility.

This is, of course, a bad idea if the goal is to avoid crushing debt. But during good economic times it works more often than it doesn't - which means that _not_ doing it puts you at an economic disadvantage.

Yup... More Crap.

These people weren't doing something that is universally destructive. They were doing something that, until the market collapsed, made people millions. Which is why it's attractive.

Anyone who has majored in business has taken a course called, Business Ethics.

I still have my book, on a counter in my room.

What was done by the Federal Government (Community Reinvestment Act) and by lenders (sub prime loans)... was universally destructive.

It is an example of something that is... Legal, but Unethical.

:)

I've typed up a few replies to this. I'm not going to post any of them.

Hmmm... I think you should grow a pair, and post!

If you got screwed over... that’s your fault for not reading your loan documents.

And if it was the Federal Government that did so, it’s again your fault for getting in bed with the Fed. Just as it will be California’s fault for getting screwed over if they take a bailout, instead of cutting spending.

Get in bed with the FED... and they control you.

I won’t be taking any Federal money for my Masters. Sallie Mae will continue to work just fine... regardless of what they pay their CEOs... I will read my loan documents, and pay my loan on time.

Also, I just read everything on your little website... except the stories, waste of time... and the primary topic of their concern, are loan defaults. http://studentloanjustice.org/educate.htm

THEN DON’T F**KING DEFAULT ON YOUR LOAN!

I don't know you, Jason. I don't want to, either. You're not worth the jail time.

If I were drinking chocolate milk... it would have just come out of my nose.

Did you know they can pull your professional license w/the slightest hiccup in payments? There are Doctors who had a health problem for a few months or a year. Their licenses were pulled because they missed a couple of payments.

Yeah... its called the law!

Actually... Residents and Attending Physicians, have short and long term disability coverage... if you get sick, or injured, once you cash in all of your PAL (Paid Annual Leave) and SPAL (Sick)... it will kick in, upon making a claim. Short term is typically included as a benefit... Long term is optional and comes at an additional cost per pay period. And short-term disability pay is a percentage of your pay, not full.

Sorry, but I highly doubt that has happened, at least, for doctors.

Their loan principles went from $150K to $500K or more.

That's Total Crap! How would the, principle, change? I could see fees and/or a penalty of increased interest rate... but that’s plain ridiculous.

Prove it!

People are being killed over this.

Wicked Chocolate Milk!

:P:D

Student loans have always been a pretty damn good deal all the way around. Businesses benefit quite a bit from a well educated work force.

Private student loans haven't been about educating the youth in many years.
http://www.collegescholarships.org/research/student-loans/

Where in my post did I mention anything about college faculty? I'm the first one to say they should be well paid. But please show me the justification for a 439% increase in college tuition from 1982-2007 while the medium family income rose 147% during the same period. I remember having to dish out well over 1000 a semester on textbooks 10 years ago. One year I paid over 250 for an chem book. Just because it was the new edition, the previous edition was 3 years old.

Yes... they should be paid well. My father is a state employee, at the Community College I attended.

He is a Paramedic instructor... where all the Hampton Roads fire departments send their students... and he didn’t get a raise this year.

Why the increase... because they can!

If people stop attending those colleges, and went to more reasonable schools like I spoke about earlier... they would be forced to reduce tuition. If they don’t pay their faculty respectably, then they will have no staff... so they will make the smartest business decisions to save the most money so they can pay their faculty appropriately and insure attendance because students will look at their tuition, and go somewhere else...

Supply and Demand... that too, is studied in a business degree. ;)

Books will always cost a crap load... been there, done that. Buy used when you can, sell them back if you really need the money. Personally, I like to keep them for reference...

Worst case, share the cost with a friend/classmate... and it will force a group study.

If there is a will, there is a way.

But either way... textbook price is not on the same level as the tuition issue.

Student loans have always been a pretty damn good deal all the way around. Businesses benefit quite a bit from a well educated work force.

Private student loans haven't been about educating the youth in many years.
http://www.collegescholarships.org/research/student-loans/

More BS about defaulting on loans...

Go to a reasonable school, borrow a reasonable amount... if you have to work in retail while you do your internship, you can eat and pay for your loan till you get a higher paying position in your field of study.

Crap... Crap... Personal Responsibility!

Giggity Goo! ;)

Spelling

Have you worked at a school or in the FA department? Look up what bad dept is to a school and how it impacts their ratings and how they get around it. Some schools that use predatory tactics have ended up in court but it doesn't put a dent in their pocket. I've worked there and seen it in action, it's a very dirty industry; not all loans are for 4 year universities. Also, not everyone can get into the University or program they want. As someone that has hired over 200 people this year I can tell you that the majority of them needed a 4 year degree (hint: it didn't matter what the degree was unless they were in computer programming or oil/shale). It's great that you live in an idealistic world but with how competitive the market is for very skilled unemployed people it doesn't work that way.

. One year I paid over 250 for an chem book. Just because it was the new edition, the previous edition was 3 years old.

ouch. I think my entire semester in books was rarely over 400. An expensive book was in the 60s or 70s. Though it was the self printed volumes from the professor that really stung - this was just after Kinko and the others got tagged badly for reprinting copywrited materials and so the cost of these spiral bounds soared. At least with a hard bound you could sell it back at the end.

Have you worked at a school or in the FA department?

No. But I have dealt with FA (Financial Aid Departments?)

Look up what bad dept is to a school and how it impacts their ratings and how they get around it. Some schools that use predatory tactics have ended up in court but it doesn't put a dent in their pocket. I've worked there and seen it in action, it's a very dirty industry;

I have no idea what you are talking about...

not all loans are for 4 year universities.

True... Like ECPI here in Hampton Roads. Get a Bachelors in 2.5 Years! SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!

No, not really... wicked ripoff, and a shit degree that won't do you a damn bit of good, and their credits don't transfer... anywhere.

But, that's a different issue... if you went to Devry, ECPI, ITT Tech... and so on... I'm just gonna laugh, and tell you I'm sorry you made that mistake.

Seriously...

Also, not everyone can get into the University or program they want.

If your grades have sucked that bad... go back to community college, retake courses, get your GPA up, and you could definitely get into a school like ODU... The pure fact that you improve grades, shows determination and potential in learning ability. Do so at ODU for at least 1 semester, and then you can transfer to another university, if a different program is desired.

Where there is a will, there is a way...

And don't give me any crap about the poor can't get educated. If you are THAT poor... you can get tuition, books, living expenses, travel, and even child care expenses. Do your homework! You will have to pay back your loan, but you won't pay a dime of interest.

As someone that has hired over 200 people this year I can tell you that the majority of them needed a 4 year degree

That's kind of an empty statement... hired them for what. Care to elaborate...? Graci!

(hint: it didn't matter what the degree was unless they were in computer programming or oil/shale).

I really don't know how to respond to this either... :S

If you are in computers, you often don't need a degree... there are certification like from Cisco with networking. (Back when i was in it, the levels were: CCNA, CCNP, CCIE) I did an internship in networking... I cabled entire schools with Cat5E, set up all the switches and routers, watched as they set up the IPT and so on... pretty cool, made some good money on overtime, but didn't want to do it for a career. Nor did I enjoy hearing about star wars and star trek ship classes... yeah, I watch, it is entertaining, not enough to read about the ship types though... I'll be BASE jumping... L8er!

It's great that you live in an idealistic world but with how competitive the market is for very skilled unemployed people it doesn't work that way.

Really... Idealistic, ey? You sure you wanna get in to that with me... Trust me, I don't think ya doooo.

I gotta get back to studying for NREMT-P... something that will be getting me a new job. ;)

Where in my post did I mention anything about college faculty?.

What do you think the largest component of any college budget is? Paperclips?

Administrative staff to process and execute on grant proposals?

Purchase of chairs that don't sit square?

cafeterias?

#2 pencils?

Free daycare?

Bringing in 'non-biased' political speakers that everyone else just laughs at outside of acedemia?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'm not sure I agree with the tone, but I agree with a lot of your points pretty much down the line.

It's still possible for young, healthy single people to graduate from college with minimal or no loans to pay off. If you're disabled, or have a family to support, it's a lot harder.

How do you do it? By deferring your gratification. Go to the less expensive school (the name of your college won't matter after your first job, and it's a luxury if you can't pay for it). Take fewer courses at a time and work your way through. Live like a student. That used to mean ramen, crap apartments, roomates, used furniture, and a bicycle or a heap. I don't see nearly as many of any of those any more.

Yeah, people do it now. But the real horror stories are from people who figured they deserve or need to live well while they're in college.

No one deserves or needs to live above their means. You earn your means by saving up. Here is a story about someone who lives what used to be considered middle class.

Now: if you have a family, or you're disabled, it's a lot harder to work. If you live in some parts of the country, the job market may be so bad that you can't work at all; moving means you have living expenses and maybe out-of-state tuition. Which means you need a job first, then you start thinking about school. Again, start with community college, or CLEP tests.

If it's the experience of college you want (and that's a very worthwhile goal), then you have to be able to afford it. Not everyone can.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Nope, sure didn't need to build that big ass fancy new building...

Very few buildings (I'd say "none" but there are always exceptions) come out of anything but donor contributions, so tuition is not relevant there. The largest component of the operating budget (into which tuition payments go) of any college or university is faculty and staff salaries.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.