quade

Question about SEAL Team Trident

If it was given to him, why not? It's not like he's putting it on a uniform and trying to pass himself off as a SEAL.

Negatitory. He may have the "right" to wear it, but he don't have the right to wear it. Catch my drift?

Legality aside, there are some things you just don't do. Wearing military decorations and awards that you have not earned is one of those things you just don't do, period.

I have a Pararescue badge that a buddy gave me a few years ago. Sure, I can legally wear it, but it's just one of those things you don't do.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but if I knew of someone wearing an EGA lapel pin that was not ever a Marine, they would definately lose credibility with me.

Yeah, before someone throws out the wild "what ifs"; there are some exceptions (i.e. wives).

It is one thing to wear a t-shirt with a logo, it is another to wear a pin on your suit.

Regardless of what you think of the guy; he is not stupid. He knows that the wearing of that pin will raise the ire of some of his critics. Ask media matters what happens when they jump on the bait that he has dangled in the past.
They demanded the firing of his two co-hosts because of remarks they made on a Friday that he was not on the show. He then obliged them and fired them both without getting the context in which those remarks were made. (on the air) He then "had" to rehire them when the truth came out. (Shirley Sharod style)

He is just waiting for a bigger fish than Quade to set the hook.

Do you really think that Rachel Olbermann and Sgt Shultz would let that slide?

I’m sure that background story is something like:
"his dying words were "please give this to Beck and tell him to wear it every day'"

If it were less compelling than that, Olbermann would have him on "worst persons" at the very least.

I’m sure that background story is something like:
"his dying words were "please give this to Beck and tell him to wear it every day'"

You're probably right about how Beck would spin it, but I have a VERY hard time believing those would be a dying man's last words. Why give it to Beck rather than say, his parents or wife or kid (if he had them)?

Why Beck? Dying words and wishes for Beck? Really?

Doesn't that seem more than just a little theatrical to you?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Yes, yes, he's a super genius.

At some future point in time all will be revealed.

I just hope it doesn't involve riding a comet to Nirvana.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

It was given to him by Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell (read about it) sole survivor of a SEAL team that was attacked team in Afghanistan. And he wears it in honor of him and all of his fallen brothers.

Yeh Beck is a real dick.

Bill, could you explaine to me what poe's law is.

OK Quade, let them off the hook already.;)

Not quite done yet. It still needs to simmer a bit.

How does it feel to by hoisted by your own petard?

I dunno. I'll tell you when it happens.

Regardless of whether or not it was given to him by a SEAL Team member. It does not give him the right to wear it.
quade -

If he was given it to wear . . .

IF? So you know know? You're assuming?

Besides which, no. He's still not authorized to wear it because regardless of the heroic nature of the SEAL that gave it to him, he doesn't have the authority to grant the privilege to Beck.

Beck should know this.
quade -

I read Marcus' post, it did not appear to me HE gave it to Beck, another SEAL did. When asked by his fb followers, Marcus said he was good with it and understood it was a gift and the "gifter" had requested he (Beck) wear it. It appears to stem from Beck's support of SEAL's who where on trial, he sided with the SEAL's.

This is not like he is trying some game of making any one believe he is a SEAL. I think this is as silly as the arguments over who does and who does not wear an American Flag pin on their lapels.

IF he was trying to fake being a SEAL, fry him, but he is not. Nor is he trying to pass as a Sailor.

He is just an Entertainer, a political satirist. And he has us talking about him and maybe even tuning in to see him wear the pin. For him, it is: "Mission Accomplished".

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

The SEAL guys that I have met tend to avoid drawing attention to themselves. So anyone that is wearing a pin or anything not official like full uniform I automatically question their validity.

I've known several team guys through skydiving. I had one on one of my 4-way teams. Jumped with numerous others. All great guys. I have a basic understanding of what it takes to earn the Trident.

However, the guy I'm talking about is a public speaker and never served. To my knowledge, he has no family members associated with the teams. I think he thinks wearing the pin shows his "support" for the troops, but I think it sends a confusing message of an assumed association. I also think he enjoys that confusion.

In other words, I think it's a dick move.

Paul, is he wearing the issue "Budweiser", or is it just a smaller replica pin?

A smaller replica pin is acceptable IMO because it is obviously not the official issue badge.

If it's the real deal, and the guy hasn't earned it, I'd have a word with him about it. If he got defensive, I'd let it go - "...be it on your own head, then."

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I am pretty sure it is a gift from a seal.

I'm not sure that gives him the right to wear it.

I wouldn't even if it was a gift and was well-meant and well-intended, because I would quickly grow tired of constantly having to explain myself about it. People would naturally assume "poser". It shouldn't be worn.

Like I said, a smaller replica would be acceptable IMO.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

mh

So you're cool with people who have never been in combat wearing small replica combat action ribbon pins on thier business suits?

Is a small Eagle-Globe-and-Anchor lapel pin cool for persons who where never Marines?

Maybe Marine jump wings and scuba bubbles as a bumper sticker would look cool? People would think they're Recon :o

I'm not debating the legality of wearing this shit; I'm just saying it takes a douche to wear unearned military awards and badges (pins, bumper stickers, etc...).

Lapel pins, replicas, bumper stickers, the real deal; they shouldn't be worn if not earned.

mh

So you're cool with people who have never been in combat wearing small replica combat action ribbon pins on thier business suits?

Is a small Eagle-Globe-and-Anchor lapel pin cool for persons who where never Marines?

Maybe Marine jump wings and scuba bubbles as a bumper sticker would look cool? People would think they're Recon :o

I'm not debating the legality of wearing this shit; I'm just saying it takes a douche to wear unearned military awards and badges (pins, bumper stickers, etc...).

Lapel pins, replicas, bumper stickers, the real deal; they shouldn't be worn if not earned.

next time I see a marine mom bumper sticker with the EGA on it, I'll tell her you said she has to take it off her car. Because she didn't "earn it".

where's that eyeroll when you need it
--
Rob

If they are trying to pass as one who earned the ribbons/badges/awards, I could see your point.
As we are talking about a gift it is mute really.

In the ABN world for the single Paratrooper's there is a tradition to give your mother a set of jump wings. Lots of those mothers wear those wings at various functions. There is a similar tradition for the married Paratrooper's and their wives. Are they wrong?

Beck is an ass and Quade got we he wanted with this thread, attack the messenger, make him look worse.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

mh

+1
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca