quade

Question about SEAL Team Trident

The SEAL guys that I have met tend to avoid drawing attention to themselves. So anyone that is wearing a pin or anything not official like full uniform I automatically question their validity.

There are a lot of people out there that are in the "wanna be" category that I think are just best off just ingnored. Why make a big deal out of nothing.

It's somewhat like the tandem that likes to brag and make it look like he skydives all of the time. I prefer just to ignore people like that.

The SEAL guys that I have met tend to avoid drawing attention to themselves. So anyone that is wearing a pin or anything not official like full uniform I automatically question their validity.

I've known several team guys through skydiving. I had one on one of my 4-way teams. Jumped with numerous others. All great guys. I have a basic understanding of what it takes to earn the Trident.

However, the guy I'm talking about is a public speaker and never served. To my knowledge, he has no family members associated with the teams. I think he thinks wearing the pin shows his "support" for the troops, but I think it sends a confusing message of an assumed association. I also think he enjoys that confusion.

In other words, I think it's a dick move.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

If you saw a person wearing a SEAL Team Trident pin and knew for a fact he wasn't a SEAL, what would you think of him?

It would depend on 'why' he's wearing it and whether he understands if real SEALs would resent it or not.

Since I can't read his mind from here (yet), nor can I read the minds of all the current living SEALs. I can't really comment. Maybe it was an inheritance from a brother or father that died defending the country and it's his way of honoring that person. Maybe he's a wannabe hoping it'll impress chicks.

or something in between.

But I suspect it's not the business of anyone other than this one guy and any SEAL out there.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Nothing. But if it really concerns you, report him to the proper authorities under the Stolen Valor Act.

The Stolen Valor Act was recently ruled unconstitutional by a 3-judge federal appeals court panel. The court essentially ruled that the act was unconstitutional because it criminalized an act of merely lying, and not necessarily lying in an attempt to obtain something by perpetrating a fraud.

http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/18/stolen-valor-act-is-declared-unconstitutional-by-circuit-court/

I'd think the law could probably be amended or re-drafted to accommodate this defect.

Yeah, if you even think he's playing up people thinking he might be the genuine article, it's clearly a dick move. If he's ever taken active steps to convince people that he earned a trident, he's a piece of shit on par with scum suckers that claim the CMOH, one small step from full fledged felons.

The SEALs I've known and dealt with mad. No secret of their being SEALs, but they didn't wear any part of the uniform unless they were in full uniform. That includes the trident pin. They lived wearing tshirts and stuff showing who they were, but no pins.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Nothing. But if it really concerns you, report him to the proper authorities under the Stolen Valor Act.

The Stolen Valor Act was recently ruled unconstitutional by a 3-judge federal appeals court panel. The court essentially ruled that the act was unconstitutional because it criminalized an act of merely lying, and not necessarily lying in an attempt to obtain something by perpetrating a fraud.

http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/18/stolen-valor-act-is-declared-unconstitutional-by-circuit-court/

I'd think the law could probably be amended or re-drafted to accommodate this defect.

The law is the defect. Feel good law. Like the proposed flag burning law. I think these liers are not a real problem, are short lived, and easily called out.
They are scumbags and let's leave it at that.

The law is the defect. Feel good law. Like the proposed flag burning law. I think these liers are not a real problem, are short lived, and easily called out.
They are scumbags and let's leave it at that.

No I think they should go to a special PJ/SF/BUDS without the ability to drop out till they get set right.

If you saw a person wearing a SEAL Team Trident pin and knew for a fact he wasn't a SEAL, what would you think of him?

about the same as someone wearing white after labor day...

about the same as someone wearing a detroit baseball cap eventhough they're not a tiger, nor from detroit.

about the same as someone wearing a cross that wasn't a christian.

about the same as someone sporting the timber rattlesnake that wasn't living back east

I really don't give a shit.

I'm more concerned about those who waste time dwelling over such trivial matters, as if it makes you a better person.

...log, meet speck.

:S
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I'd think he were a sad wannabe tosser (If I knew he had not served as a SEAL) There was a guy who had a regiment badge sown onto his rig at EB IN Spain a few years ago, thought he was a tosser too.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Is he wearing this around on his civvies? Most dudes i've met don't even like wearing uniforms let alone wearing badges on their civvies. Any one thats been to VA beach can point out a SEAL but that goes for most SF guys. You just gotta know what youre looking for. I doubt the guys an operator, probably just a poser.

edit to add: I assumed it was civvies because if hes posing with a trident on in uniform thats a whole different ball game. I bet if you ask him he tells you he rolls with 6...

I've seen quite a few SF posers in my day. I usually begin with a coin check, then start asking questions, "What team?, who was the BN's Sgt Major?, etc. That usually exposes them, then I just smile. While others may not know, they know I know they are posers. That's enough for me.

steveOrino

A few months ago one of the regular posters on the VVATalklist stated that approximately 600 SEAL Team members had actually served in Vietnam and that he met all 2000 of them.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Any one thats been to VA beach can point out a SEAL

Not impossible, but still unlikely. Most generally occupy an arctic or sub-arctic habitat.

Actually, they're at the other end of the planet. And only one or two kindss of seals are found on (in?0 Antartica. Most are found at the southern end of South America. Little things you pick up channel surfing.

But if you're a bad guy, you don't find SEALs. They find you.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Any one thats been to VA beach can point out a SEAL

Not impossible, but still unlikely. Most generally occupy an arctic or sub-arctic habitat.

HONK HONK!
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca