Mini Cannon

Pretty cool, though I don't belive in the abuse of perfectly good alcohol in this vid. Personally I like Pete Hill's cannon better. It shoots golfballs at stunning velocities.

How does it work? Got a link?

when gunpowder is compreesed in a tube, then a spark is fed to it, an explosion occurs, creating great force to anything stopping it's exit route, if that route is blocked by a projectile, said projectile is thrown at great force in the direction of the shaft...YWIA

Pretty cool, though I don't belive in the abuse of perfectly good alcohol in this vid. Personally I like Pete Hill's cannon better. It shoots golfballs at stunning velocities.

Well, theres this steel tube with a tiny hole in the breach (the back end). You insert 1/4lb of 3Fg black powder down the muzzle (the buisness end) all the way to the breach. You then poke a small hole into the aluminum foil that the powder is wrapped in (via the tiny hole at the breach) and insert about 3" of cannon fuse. Next step is to put a golfball in the muzzle and pack it tightly (with a dowel rod or what have you) against the powder charge.

The last step, and this is the important bit, you get some drunk asshole to light the fuse with some form of ignition (cigar, cigarette, lighter, wick fuse, etc). Voilla! Big boom with a high vel progectile.
Muff #5048

Well, theres this steel tube with a tiny hole in the breach (the back end). You insert 1/4lb of 3Fg black powder down the muzzle (the buisness end) all the way to the breach. You then poke a small hole into the aluminum foil that the powder is wrapped in (via the tiny hole at the breach) and insert about 3" of cannon fuse. Next step is to put a golfball in the muzzle and pack it tightly (with a dowel rod or what have you) against the powder charge.

The last step, and this is the important bit, you get some drunk asshole to light the fuse with some form of ignition (cigar, cigarette, lighter, wick fuse, etc). Voilla! Big boom with a high vel progectile.

ROFL, same answer as mine, but much better worded....:ph34r::ph34r:

Ya gotta "dumb-it-down" to the lowest possible level on this site.:D

Edit: Just watch. Someone is going to ask "what's 3Fg?", though 1.5lbs of Winchester Super Target smokeless pistol powder would make for a much more interresting result.;)
Muff #5048

Ya gotta "dumb-it-down" to the lowest possible level on this site.:D

Edit: Just watch. Someone is going to ask "what's 3Fg?", though 1.5lbs of Winchester Super Target smokeless pistol powder would make for a much more interresting result.;)

In that case, shouldn't it be "light string-thing, tube go 'boom'!" ? :P
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

YES! Thats EXACTLY what it is. "Touch this hot thing to this green thing, and some majical thing will happen".

And don't pay any attention to me, taking cover and plugging my ears over here:P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

YES! Thats EXACTLY what it is. "Touch this hot thing to this green thing, and some majical thing will happen".

And don't pay any attention to me, taking cover and plugging my ears over here:P

Duck and cover!!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

~a friend had a pretty big machine shop behind his home, we made a cannon that shot cement filled beer cans...then we built a silencer for it! :ph34r:

"Fill my beer with cement and watch this!"

;)
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

~a friend had a pretty big machine shop behind his home, we made a cannon that shot cement filled beer cans...then we built a silencer for it! :ph34r:

;)

We use to shoot it into the Illinois River after consuming the pre-cement contents of the ammo...I dunno which was more fun, going for over-all distance or skipping the projectiles across the water at a very high speed.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Surppressor! No way can you "silence" the sound of a high vel progectile.

But but but, I saw it on a movie and all my liberal friends think that a full-auto, suppressed weapon is a magic device that kills everyone.

Here's a video of what happens with the suppressor taken off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D307Lp_idbk
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

;)

We use to shoot it into the Illinois River after consuming the pre-cement contents of the ammo...I dunno which was more fun, going for over-all distance or skipping the projectiles across the water at a very high speed.

That *does* sound like fun.... we had a couple guys in H.S. that used to see how high they could get a 55 gallon drum to go.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Suppressor! No way can you "silence" the sound of a high vel progectile.

It was pretty quiet...IIRC the tube was about 10' long 4-5 times the barrel diameter. The first try was funny as hell, we used steel wool as the packing material...and it caught on fire! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Surppressor! No way can you "silence" the sound of a high vel progectile.

But but but, I saw it on a movie and all my liberal friends think that a full-auto, suppressed weapon is a magic device that kills everyone.

Here's a video of what happens with the suppressor taken off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D307Lp_idbk

Damnit Dave!!! How dare you provide trade youtube secrets on a public forum? Now every asshole with a .22 and a soda bottle may think they can get away with crimes without a trace.
Muff #5048