quade

How is this a "prank"?

Police: Vermont man killed in gun prank

(CNN) -- A 24-year-old Vermont man was fatally shot by a friend who used a gun in a prank, police said.
The alleged shooter apparently tried to prank his sleeping friend by waking him up with the loud sound of an air rifle, police said.

Source; http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/11/26/vermont.friend.shooting/index.html
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Police: Vermont man killed in gun prank

(CNN) -- A 24-year-old Vermont man was fatally shot by a friend who used a gun in a prank, police said.
The alleged shooter apparently tried to prank his sleeping friend by waking him up with the loud sound of an air rifle, police said.

Source; http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/11/26/vermont.friend.shooting/index.html

Jack Ass 4 coming to a big screen near you

personally I wonder how many of these accidental shootings of this type are actually accidental. I doubt it's 100%.

My sentiments as well...

hopefully there is a deep investigation for possible motive.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I, on the other hand, think it is very possible. Stupidity kills, have seen it many times unfortunately, but there are a lot of youngsters out there who have never seen a firearm in their life, and all they know about them, is either from their xbox/ps2/et all, or what the incredible delusional media tells them. Most likely this kid was your typical liberal college kid, just being stupid.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

I, on the other hand, think it is very possible. Stupidity kills, have seen it many times unfortunately, but there are a lot of youngsters out there who have never seen a firearm in their life, and all they know about them, is either from their xbox/ps2/et all, or what the incredible delusional media tells them. Most likely this kid was your typical liberal college kid, just being stupid.

+1
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

There are also a lot of people out there who have had some training and experience with firearms and are still very stupid.
Wisconsin requires Hunter Safety education for anyone born after 1973 to get a hunting license.
I volunteer at the local shooting range as a range officer, and the level of just plain idiocy that I see every year around this time would blow your mind.

So this dude picked up what he thought was an air rifle, pointed at his friend and pulled the trigger.

The story says both the shooter and the "target" were guests in the house.

WTF was the homeowner thinking leaving a loaded rifle (even a 22) out when there were guests in the house?

I know that keeping a rifle handy for pest control is not that unusual in some areas, and Vermont is pretty rural, but putting it away or at the very minimum telling the guests to leave it alone, it's real and it's loaded.

Or maybe a guest was worried about a gun in the house and the owner said "Don't worry about it, it's only an air rifle."
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

My air rifle, which looks like a very real 22 rifle, would penitrate probably 2 iches , if held against the skin, (pellet gun) ...stupid on all levels to have done!

He probably thought it was an unloaded air rifle, that would only blow a puff of air onto the sleeping victim's chest.

My air rifle, which looks like a very real 22 rifle, would penitrate probably 2 iches , if held against the skin, (pellet gun) ...stupid on all levels to have done!

He probably thought it was an unloaded air rifle, that would only blow a puff of air onto the sleeping victim's chest.

Now we're back to the dumbing down of people...Myself, and everyone I grew up around, were taught from day one, "There is no such thing as an unloaded gun!" even air guns....

Very stupid - as Skyrider said a pellet could easily do severe damage.Our air-rifle is a .22 and I am certain it could be mistaken for a normal .22 rifle.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Now we're back to the dumbing down of people...Myself, and everyone I grew up around, were taught from day one, "There is no such thing as an unloaded gun!" even air guns....

+1. Lesson 2 was always point it away from something you don't want to hit.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

You are correct of course. My comment was simply meant to "get inside the mind" of the man who was trying to pull the prank, as I'm certain who didn't mean to intentionally shoot the guy, not even with a BB pellet.

My comment was simply meant to "get inside the mind" of the man who was trying to pull the prank, as I'm certain who didn't mean to intentionally shoot the guy, not even with a BB pellet.

What leads you to believe it wasn't an intentional murder and this guy is just making up a story?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What leads you to believe it wasn't an intentional murder and this guy is just making up a story?

The police have more facts than we do, and they charged him with manslaughter, not murder.

Which is not unusal for an unwitnessed murder , it takes many more facts to prove "murder".....(like premeditated intent) , Or for all we know, the guy passed a poligraph..[:/]

I am not a lwayer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!

(and have had several friends/people I knew, charged with manslaughter, that should have been charged with murder)