speedy

Fatality with parachute.

I did read the entire thread, and your name only appeared in the "in reply to" box because you were the last poster. When I'm replying to a specific person I tend to quote the phrase I'm disputing/debating. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

My point was that the story which started the thread was essentially a non-story in skydiving terms, and then a number of others started going on about how dangerous it was to tow square parachutes etc. Even after others pointed out the fact that it was fixed in this case there were some who I thought could do with reminding.

Again, sorry if any criticism was inferred Sparky!

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

I just put a video called chutes and Parasails up on skydiving movies.com that is relevant to this thread. If someone not so technically challenged as myself would put a link to it up here, some might find it interesting.
Zing Lurks

Sorry... I decided not to approve it. I generally don't approve videos that are marked by other sites. This one's available at consumption junction, and all over the internet. I've had it emailed to me a couple times already by coworkers.

Here's a video of a square canopy successfully being towed by a van...

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=2804

Dave

If the guy that killed himself had no skydiving experience he should get the coveted "Darwin" award for embarking on a stupid and dangerous activity with no idea what he is doing or for the consequences that may happen, and in this case did happen.

I don't agree with this. Has anyone ever been parasailing before? I have, way before I ever got into skydiving. Back then all I knew was that I was hooked up to a parachute and being towed behind a boat. It was fun and nothing eventfull really happen. At that time I had no idea that there were differences in skydiving parachutes and parasailing parachutes. These guys saw a canopy and probably said "hey, I've seen one of these being towed behind boats all the time, why not a car?" If the incident involved a skydiver then I think the Darwin Adward should be given out, but not to a whuffo.

Yes I've been parasailing and you know the best thing about coming down hard is water is a hell of a lot SOFTER than than ground