rhaig

Campus Concealed Carry likely to make a showing in TX this session

Police, sure. A 19 year old Accounting major (not me) has no need to carry a gun to class, regardless if he's trained.

so are you talking about licensed concealed carry of a handgun (which at least in my state requires you to be 21 years old to own and carry one) or illegal carry by your 19yo accounting major who would already be breaking a law by carrying the gun in the first place (so why would he care about the guns on campuses law)??

Its 21 in IL too. Assume he's 21, my argument still stands

What if he's 32? And instead of accounting, is going to a Peace and Conflict Studies class?

>So, in this case, rights end at the private property line ?

Many of them do, yes. You have the right to free speech - but do not have the right to exercise it in someone's living room if they don't want you there. You have the right to bear arms - but not if the owner of the property does not want guns on his property. You have the right to peaceful assembly - but not in the local movie theater if you don't pay for tickets.

There are some rights that do _not_ end at the property line, of course. In most places you cannot kill someone merely because they are on your property, although you can get them arrested for trespassing.

Reading this thread, it sounds like something should be done about the problem of binge drinking on campus.

I'd want to carry a gun too if I had to be around drunk frat boys all the time.

but....., if you were on campus, you'd be drunk too - it just happens

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>So the constitution should be suspended when you cross the property line
>of a college campus.

?? No more so than it's suspended when you cross the property line of a homeowner, or the edge of an airport security area.

Interesting line of thought
So, in this case, rights end at the private property line ? (I mean this as a sincere question) Not that I disagree with you because I feel as a private property owner you should have the right to make this kind of determination

Yes. Just like a private property owner, if he doesn't regularly open areas of his property for public gatherings can restrict free speech (I can boot you off my property for standing on my lawn no matter what you're shouting, but I can't boot you off the sidewalk), a private property owner can restrict firearms from their property.

So, the prior poster who doesn't want his college roommate to have a gun should pick a private college that has the same philosophy and a "no guns in dorms" policy.

Reading this thread, it sounds like something should be done about the problem of binge drinking on campus.

I'd want to carry a gun too if I had to be around drunk frat boys all the time.

but....., if you were on campus, you'd be drunk too - it just happens

As many times as I've been on a college campus, and as many times as I've been drunk, I've somehow managed to never be drunk on a college campus. And somehow I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything as far as that goes. :P

Just like a private property owner, if he doesn't regularly open areas of his property for public gatherings can restrict free speech (I can boot you off my property for standing on my lawn no matter what you're shouting, but I can't boot you off the sidewalk), a private property owner can restrict firearms from their property.

So, the prior poster who doesn't want his college roommate to have a gun should pick a private college that has the same philosophy and a "no guns in dorms" policy.

Just curious (from the thread drift in here)... As private property owners who can restrict firearms from their property, would private colleges also be held responsible for the large amount of underage (illegal) drinking that takes place on their property?

Just curious (from the thread drift in here)... As private property owners who can restrict firearms from their property, would private colleges also be held responsible for the large amount of underage (illegal) drinking that takes place on their property?

It would depend on the laws of the individual state, so anything I say can't be anything more than a personal opinion and isn't legal advice whatsoever, but it's my opinion that most college students are adults and they choose to be there and agree to abide by the rules, which makes colleges pretty different than a high school where the students must attend and the schools are responsible for the minors.

You hit the fucking nail on the head

Who? Me??

So, how loud do you suppose the howling would be should someone not like his lifestyle and try to outlaw it?

LMAO - last I heard, someone has, and he has stood up again' it.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

So, if a property owner has the right as that owner, to deny a citizen the right to carry a fire arm on property they own, how can the government have the power to tell a private property owner that they can not smoke in their own house? Seeing how smoking is legal?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

So, if a property owner has the right as that owner, to deny a citizen the right to carry a fire arm on property they own, how can the government have the power to tell a private property owner that they can not smoke in their own house? Seeing how smoking is legal?

Where is this happening??? Somehow I don't think that one's going to stand up in court, but seeing the court case would be interesting.

Where is this happening??? Somehow I don't think that one's going to stand up in court, but seeing the court case would be interesting.

I will look for that one

How about where it is a privately held business run only by family members?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

That's FOSTER parents. Those kids are wards of the state, which makes the situation a bit different. If you choose to be a foster parent, you choose to abide by the restrictions the state puts on you, and not smoke around the kids if that's what you agree to.

I will look for that one

How about where it is a privately held business run only by family members?

It varies by state, but you can find the list here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smoking_bans_in_the_United_States#.C2.A0California

It would depend on the laws of the individual state, so anything I say can't be anything more than a personal opinion and isn't legal advice whatsoever, but it's my opinion that

can I swim within 30 minutes of eating lunch?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

... I think a state could probably make a pretty reasonable argument that they have a compelling interest in keeping drunks and people otherwise under the influence from carrying a gun, and a law saying "you can't carry a gun when you are drunk or high" seems to be pretty narrowly tailored, since you could carry one at all other times.

Personally, I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with a state putting on their CCW/CHLs "This license not valid when the holder is under the influence of alcohol or drugs that may affect judgment."

And frankly, anyone who thinks guns and beer are a good mix is a fucking MORON.

Most states have laws against "Intoxicated use/possession of a firearm".

Under any circumstances, not just for CCW purposes.

Admittedly, just like drunk driving, it still occurs on a far too regular basis.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

So far, I have taken down a burglar, and a rapist(his second offence too, he was tring to attack a 68 yearold woman) and run of many prowlers...

I'm surprised your neck can support such a big head.

I'm surprised children are poting on an adult chat board!

It's true, you are *much* older than me. I'll still be walking around enjoying myself when you are in the ground.
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

I'm surprised your neck can support such a big head.

Which, based on your spelling and grammar, is full of hot air rather than brains.

amazing...you edited your PA post to look like a PA reply to a PA... Do you think the mods are that stupid Kid Wicked?
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

It's true, you are *much* older than me. I'll still be walking around enjoying myself when you are in the ground.

Now that is a real PA reply to a PA in reply to your double PA...this stuff gets tricky...I say the newbie KidWicked gets banned and Skyrider stays.

Barabas, Barabas, Barabas!:D

(easy now everybody...I'm not loosing my mind...it's just another entertaining, yet tricky metaphor mixed with a bit of truth and sarcasm...confusing...I know....)

Edit - Oh..I forgot...when you add an inside joke to that tricky metaphor with a bit if truth and sarcasm, it really gets confusing...almost to the point of being pointless.;)

....sorry...I watch "House" alot...maybe too much...and I play a litle poker too, a little too much.;)

...hopefully all this just kills the thread.B|

Both of you - enough.

The reply should've went to to KidWicked for several reasons:

1: He was the last to reply

2: He started it.

3: deception of who started it.

4: Because of his screen name.

5: He was more severe

6: He is a newbie and we don't quite understand him as much as skyrider.