rhaig

Campus Concealed Carry likely to make a showing in TX this session

If a law passes allowing everyone to carry a gun, everyone is going to rush out and get one because they feel like they will need to protect themselves from all the other people who went out and bought guns.

if a law passes allowing concealed carry, the streets will run with blood and it will be like the old west
hey look. that didn't happen either!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/09/09/national/main521212.shtml

so how many millions of unreported murders do you think took place in the past 5 years?

Already responded to that.

I read that later (after my post) sorry

But I do have another question. I do not know your college. It is private or is it get gov money?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Already responded to that.

I read that later (after my post) sorry

But I do have another question. I do not know your college. It is private or is it get gov money?

It is public.

Then I think any who legally qualify should be able to carry

When you have a law restricting CCW do you think that those who have criminal intent will check their guns at the campus police station?
Abraham Lincoln

>I disagreed with . . .

Hmm. Which part?

Do you think that there does not need to be serious thought put in to who is allowed to carry concealed weapons?

Do you think that partying, binge drinking and guns is a good idea?

I agree with Jeanie. It should not be illegal to carry guns on campus, provided the school is OK with it and the person would otherwise be eligible for CCW. But there are unusual risks at colleges, because weapons and binge drinking do not mix - and they have to be considered.

1) lying about what she wrote isn't an effective argument, Bill. Her emotional response is CCWs on Campus are SCARY! NOOOOOOO! Her rational response is students are over 18, have full rights. We've seen both from her on this subject, in direct conflict with each other.

2) No, no thought has to be given to whether or not CCW holders can carry on campus. They've already been vetted to carry throughout the state; there is nothing special about the campus. And if a 21yo (CCWs, and hangun purchases are not available to 18-20) takes the effort to obtain a CCW, he or she had already shown a level of responsibility that should include knowing not to drink while doing so. If not, they lose their permit, just like everyone else.

As proven over and over again, the dire predictions about how much mayhem will be caused by CCW laws, it just doesn't work out to be a problem.

it's the only point in my day I have a law keeping me from being able to defend myself.

Why?

apparently, because you must be drunk the second you enter campus and the drunk doesn't wear off until you step off of the property - no matter who you are or where you go to school - that would be neat

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

If you had been watching the news for the last 20 years, you might have noticed a few stories about mass shootings at schools...

No way? That has happened outside my protective bubble I live in on my campus?

State the name of your campus.

Southern Illinois University at Edwarsdville

He did. And now? Are you still *digging* or do you have any intelligent reply ready why you needed to know the name of his campus?

:|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

If you had been watching the news for the last 20 years, you might have noticed a few stories about mass shootings at schools...

He did. And now? Are you still *digging* or do you have any intelligent reply ready why you needed to know the name of his campus?

Why does it seem that you think it wrong to look into and/or verify his claim?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Why do you think you know what I seem to think?

(Jeeeeez, I'm a genius! Now I know how to argue with the Yanks, hehehehe ...)

:P

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Police, sure. A 19 year old Accounting major (not me) has no need to carry a gun to class, regardless if he's trained.

so are you talking about licensed concealed carry of a handgun (which at least in my state requires you to be 21 years old to own and carry one) or illegal carry by your 19yo accounting major who would already be breaking a law by carrying the gun in the first place (so why would he care about the guns on campuses law)??
--
Rob

Why do you think you know what I seem to think?

Because you put the word "digging" on display, as if it would be incorrect to do any fact checking.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

If a law passes allowing everyone to carry a gun, everyone is going to rush out and get one because they feel like they will need to protect themselves from all the other people who went out and bought guns.

if a law passes allowing concealed carry, the streets will run with blood and it will be like the old west
hey look. that didn't happen either!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/09/09/national/main521212.shtml

so your theory is that because there exist crimes that aren't reported, we must eliminate guns on campus because they might prevent crimes that haven't happened (and may not be reported) because the guns carried by concealed carriers actually did cause blood to run in the streets, and old-west shootouts, but those crimes weren't reported.

riiight..
--
Rob

I just don't want the latter who's not trained in gun safety to be able to carry his Glock on campus (still stereotyping?). Nor do I want my roommate, who's a farmer and hunter and been raised shooting guns and learning gun safety to be able to have his on campus.

I've been particularly fond of this quote:

"We have no idea what could have happened had there been an armed defender at Columbine and Virginia Tech, but we know with absolute certainty what happens when there’s not.” -Utah State Representative Curtis Oda

As for the drunk shooting argument, the Supreme Court has held that a state must show a compelling interest (strict scrutiny) when restricting certain rights. Now, whether or not you think second amendment rights should fall under strict scrutiny, I think a state could probably make a pretty reasonable argument that they have a compelling interest in keeping drunks and people otherwise under the influence from carrying a gun, and a law saying "you can't carry a gun when you are drunk or high" seems to be pretty narrowly tailored, since you could carry one at all other times.

Personally, I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with a state putting on their CCW/CHLs "This license not valid when the holder is under the influence of alcohol or drugs that may affect judgment."

And frankly, anyone who thinks guns and beer are a good mix is a fucking MORON.

>So the constitution should be suspended when you cross the property line
>of a college campus.

?? No more so than it's suspended when you cross the property line of a homeowner, or the edge of an airport security area.

Interesting line of thought
So, in this case, rights end at the private property line ? (I mean this as a sincere question) Not that I disagree with you because I feel as a private property owner you should have the right to make this kind of determination

Am I following you correctly?
Abraham Lincoln

I just don't want the latter who's not trained in gun safety to be able to carry his Glock on campus (still stereotyping?). Nor do I want my roommate, who's a farmer and hunter and been raised shooting guns and learning gun safety to be able to have his on campus.

I've been particularly fond of this quote:

"We have no idea what could have happened had there been an armed defender at Columbine and Virginia Tech, but we know with absolute certainty what happens when there’s not.” -Utah State Representative Curtis Oda

As for the drunk shooting argument, the Supreme Court has held that a state must show a compelling interest (strict scrutiny) when restricting certain rights. Now, whether or not you think second amendment rights should fall under strict scrutiny, I think a state could probably make a pretty reasonable argument that they have a compelling interest in keeping drunks and people otherwise under the influence from carrying a gun, and a law saying "you can't carry a gun when you are drunk or high" seems to be pretty narrowly tailored, since you could carry one at all other times.

Personally, I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with a state putting on their CCW/CHLs "This license not valid when the holder is under the influence of alcohol or drugs that may affect judgment."

And frankly, anyone who thinks guns and beer are a good mix is a fucking MORON.

Well then Shheiiitt, what else we gonna plink fer targets without beer cans ? Mexicans? Portaricans? Africans? [/sarcastic joke]

Police, sure. A 19 year old Accounting major (not me) has no need to carry a gun to class, regardless if he's trained.

so are you talking about licensed concealed carry of a handgun (which at least in my state requires you to be 21 years old to own and carry one) or illegal carry by your 19yo accounting major who would already be breaking a law by carrying the gun in the first place (so why would he care about the guns on campuses law)??

Its 21 in IL too. Assume he's 21, my argument still stands

Again

all this does (the kind of banning you support) does only one thing

Remove weapons from the hands of law abiding people. This kind of law makes little difference to those who carry illeagly to begin with

How do you square this?
Abraham Lincoln

Your arguement is "You don't like the lifestyle , so it shoudl be outlawed!" [:/]

your opinion still stands. And it shall. I have no reason to want to change your mind. I think people here are just trying to understand your reasons. Emotional reasons are understandable. That's ok.

I just don't see any logic in not allowing CHL-carry on campus, but allowing it across the street. Why is it ok to carry a concealed handgun in an off-campus apartment that's 25 yards from campus, but it's not OK to carry concealed ON campus.

Were I to go down to the university area here in Austin, I'd have to be careful which side of the street I was walking on for several blocks. Does that make sense? For the rest of the state, people who put up the proper signs to prevent me carrying on their property are only preventing me from carrying in "permanent structures". Were the university here to do the same thing, posting those signs at entrances to campus, I would still not be able to carry inside a building.

So why should a building on a college campus be different from a building across the street from the college campus??
--
Rob

You hit the fucking nail on the head

Who? Me??

So, how loud do you suppose the howling would be should someone not like his lifestyle and try to outlaw it?
Abraham Lincoln