rhaig

Campus Concealed Carry likely to make a showing in TX this session

>Your argument makes as much sense as banning cars because you
>were once hit by a drunk driver.

I think it's more akin to wanting to ban drunk driving because you were once hit by a drunk driver. (Which would seem like a sensible thing to advocate.)

bullshit. That is already illegal. She's arguing against campus CCW rights because a drunk hunter shot her. She wasn't arguing against drunk shooting - there's no one to argue against on that.

I think it's more akin to wanting to ban drunk driving because you were once hit by a drunk driver. (Which would seem like a sensible thing to advocate.)

bullshit. That is already illegal. She's arguing against campus CCW rights because a drunk hunter shot her. She wasn't arguing against drunk shooting - there's no one to argue against on that.

No I am argueing that drunk carrying is a really bad idea, because drunks do really stupid shit with guns.
Add in the amount of partying on campus.. as part of those rights of passage when young... I wonder how many young people are going to screw themselves for life

>bullshit. That is already illegal.

Just like drunk CCW!

>She's arguing against campus CCW rights because a drunk hunter shot her.

Amazon: "I think concealed carrying should be allowed... BUT.. if you abuse that responsibility you need to be held accountable."

Do you disagree with that?

I disagreed with:
"Dave ... you know I am far from being anti gun but I am thinking there needs to be some serrious thought put into who is allowed to carry considering the amount of alcohol consumption there is on a college campus. Partying and binge drinking and guns.... BAD IDEA. "

I disagreed with:
"Dave ... you know I am far from being anti gun but I am thinking there needs to be some serrious thought put into who is allowed to carry considering the amount of alcohol consumption there is on a college campus. Partying and binge drinking and guns.... BAD IDEA. "

Young women walking home alone unarmed after a late night at the campus library... BAD IDEA.

>I disagreed with . . .

Hmm. Which part?

Do you think that there does not need to be serious thought put in to who is allowed to carry concealed weapons?

Do you think that partying, binge drinking and guns is a good idea?

I agree with Jeanie. It should not be illegal to carry guns on campus, provided the school is OK with it and the person would otherwise be eligible for CCW. But there are unusual risks at colleges, because weapons and binge drinking do not mix - and they have to be considered.

>I disagreed with . . .

Hmm. Which part?

Do you think that there does not need to be serious thought put in to who is allowed to carry concealed weapons?

Do you think that partying, binge drinking and guns is a good idea?

I agree with Jeanie. It should not be illegal to carry guns on campus, provided the school is OK with it and the person would otherwise be eligible for CCW. But there are unusual risks at colleges, because weapons and binge drinking do not mix - and they have to be considered.

I have my weapons stored away in a safe when I do not have them out for use. I wonder if the frat or sorority houses... and the dorms where people do have carry permits will have a safe place to store them when appropriate like a huge party at the house??.

I wonder if the frat or sorority houses... and the dorms where people do have carry permits will have a safe place to store them when appropriate like a huge party at the house??.

That's the owner's responsibility, not the school's.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I have my weapons stored away in a safe when I do not have them out for use. I wonder if the frat or sorority houses... and the dorms where people do have carry permits will have a safe place to store them when appropriate like a huge party at the house??.

A large percentage of those frat guys have guns in their rooms anyways, they are all off campus (many of them hunt or are CHL). Same with the sorority houses. As to what safety precautions they take, I do not know, although what ever they do it has been working. That would be up to their private organization to determine for their own privately owned property.

A large percentage of the dorms on the large Texas state schools are "dry" and will not have any large parties. If campus wide CHL changes are made, I'm willing to bet schools will probably go ahead and make policies to confront these issues.

It is already illegal to be a CHL, be armed and be intoxicated. It is also illegal to leave a weapon unsecured so others can get to it. So what other rules are you wanting to imply on citizens who are legally taking steps to protect themselves?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Partying and binge drinking and guns.... BAD IDEA.

That's why it is illegal.

look! it's the knee-jerk reaction I expect.

no, it's illegal because someone saw animal house too many times and thinks that just because it's illegal to have guns on campus, there won't be guns where the partying is taking place (which is mostly off campus where the guns are perfectly legal).

Yes, alcohol and guns shouldn't mix. (except shooting at empty beer cans) But this law has less to do with that and more to do with fear of guns.
--
Rob

As long as all the kiddies play by all the rules concerning concealed carry on campus... cool... go for it... BUT they damn well better be responsible. I dont know about the campus where you went to school.. but the one I went to seemed to have a propensity for a hell of a lot of over the top drunken parties. That whole "here hold my beer, watch this" gets way too interesting for my taste when you add alcohol to the mix.

when was the last college party accidental shooting in the news? ever? On or off campus?

is that because they don't have any guns, or because the ones with guns off campus. I know you're pro-gun. We're on the same page wrt personal responsibility & accountability. My point is that any partying that will go on is likely off campus where guns are already allowed.
--
Rob

Add in the amount of partying on campus..

if that were where it all takes place, this argument might have part of a leg to fall over from. But most of the partying takes place off campus.

pick a college campus. find out it's on campus housing capacity. sort out it's enrollment demographics. Guesstimate the 18-25 enrollment population (the partiers). do the math to figure the percentage of those who have room to live on campus. (I won't do the math because I don't want to be accused of cherry picking)

I'd bet that for a very large percentage of college campuses, the majority of the 18-25 population doesn't have room to live on campus. Thus the majority of the partying doesn't take place on campus.
--
Rob

Drinking and Hunting = Drunk Driving

Ok = I'll go with that

But Drinking with a locked gun in a gun safe on campus does not.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

No I am argueing that drunk carrying is a really bad idea, because drunks do really stupid shit with guns.
Add in the amount of partying on campus.. as part of those rights of passage when young... I wonder how many young people are going to screw themselves for life

Careful - the underneath of your bed is filling up with drunk college students with CCW lliscenses.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

You give 18-21 year olds access to guns and textbooks and apparently they just go fucking crazy man.

It's called fear mongering - it is what the left accuses the right of doing.

This is how my morning went today. Just like every morning I drove up to the school parking lot and put my coffee on the roof of the car and took my legally carried pistol out of its holster and put it in the glove box as per the law. When i get out of class today at 8pm, i'll go back to my car and put my pistol back in its holster and go about my merry way. I carry my pistol pretty much everywhere I go these days, and despite being on campus is the point at which i'm probably most likely to have to defend myself, it's the only point in my day I have a law keeping me from being able to defend myself.

Why?
Peace, love and hoppiness

I've read every post, and still can not figure how "On Campus" equals "drunk student"![:/]

Right. And there are plenty of college students who don't go around binge drinking.

The logic seems to be:
- College kids often get drunk.
- Therefore, college kids shouldn't be allowed to have guns.

The problem with that is that it punishes everyone as if they're guilty, even the innocent.

And using that same logic, we should ban guns from skydivers too.
- Skydivers often get drunk.
- Therefore, skydivers shouldn't be allowed to have guns.

I've read every post, and still can not figure how "On Campus" equals "drunk student"![:/]

Right. And there are plenty of college students who don't go around binge drinking.

The logic seems to be:
- College kids often get drunk.
- Therefore, college kids shouldn't be allowed to have guns.

The problem with that is that it punishes everyone as if they're guilty, even the innocent.

And using that same logic, we should ban guns from skydivers too.
- Skydivers often get drunk.
- Therefore, skydivers shouldn't be allowed to have guns.

OMG....Imagin the results for Bikers!:o