skipbelt

Thank God for the ACLU

ACLJ is alright , but ACLU brought us...

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=39529

Let me get this straight; Hannity was fired for something he said on the air that was not approved of by his employer, the ACLU offered to help. Hannity decided he did not need the help and that he would srike out on his own and not look back and bitch about what happened.

Do you see any irony about this and another story in the news lately?

Let me get this straight; Hannity was fired for something he said on the air that was not approved of by his employer, the ACLU offered to help. Hannity decided he did not need the help and that he would srike out on his own and not look back and bitch about what happened.

From the OP's source:

In 1989, a brash young guy was fired from his part-time talk radio gig at a college station in Santa Barbara, Calif., because of an exchange with a caller. The local ACLU chapter came to his defense and asked that the station hire him back. The radio station backed down, but the host declined. He decided to seek a full-time radio gig somewhere else.

Maybe I'm missing something, but where does it say he bitched about it and his employer did not approve what he said on the air?

Again, maybe he did bitch and maybe his employer did not approve what he said. I would just like to know where you got that from.

For what it counts, I'm not a big Hannity fan.

Again, maybe he did bitch and maybe his employer did not approve what he said. I would just like to know where you got that from.

I'll admit I got it from the (conservative) website that he included. For additional information, Wikipedia to the rescue:

Hannity hosted his first talk radio show in 1989 at the volunteer college station at UC Santa Barbara, KCSB-FM, while working as a general contractor. The show aired for 40 hours of air time; Regarding his first show, Hannity has said, "I wasn't good at it. I was terrible." Hannity's weekly show on KCSB was canceled after less than a year by station managers upset with his remarks about gays and lesbians. This was after two shows featuring the book The AIDS Coverup: The Real and Alarming Facts about AIDS by Gene Antonio; among other remarks, Hannity told a lesbian caller "I feel sorry for your child". The station later reversed its decision to dismiss Hannity due in part to a campaign conducted by the Santa Barbara Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union. Hannity decided against returning to KCSB.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Maybe I'm missing something, but where does it say he bitched about it and his employer did not approve what he said on the air?

You've misread, no-one said Hannity bitched about being fired, in fact just the opposite: "Hannity decided he ... would strike out on his own and not look back and bitch about what happened." I read that as: ...not look back and [not] bitch...

As far as his employer not approving what he said, from the OP: "In 1989, a brash young guy was fired from his part-time talk radio gig at a college station in Santa Barbara, Calif., because of an exchange with a caller." It seems logical to me that he was fired by his employer, who else could it possibly have been? And when was the last time you saw a radio host get fired because the employer approved of what they said? "That was a great show Sean, we really like how you dealt with that caller, oh and by the way you're fired?"

Don

There was a little story that I guess you must have missed; Conservative reporter Juan Williams being fired by NPR.

The irony being two fold:

All the conservatives including Hannity bitching about William's being fired when Hannity Just walked away and did not put up a fight.

The fact that that bastion of everything that is wrong with America, the ACLU would offer to help a consevative that was bashing Gays.

Gotta love a website that boasts in its header that it is bias towards one side.

Is that better than a "News Channel"?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun