Long Waiting List for USMC

Why do you suppose that is?

Is it because people have become more patriotic or need a job?

I wonder how recruitment quotas are doing for the other branches.

To be sure, a bad economy is good for military recruiting. At a Pentagon news conference recently, every branch reported meeting enlistment goals.

But the Marines are convinced that other factors are also influencing the uptick in their recruitment: factors such as tradition and esprit.

"I want to be part of the best," Justin Zeek, 20, of Springfield, Ore., said when asked why he joined the Marines rather than another service. It's a common answer.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-boot-camp-20101024,0,3934302.story

Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

But the Marines are convinced that other factors are also influencing the uptick in their recruitment: factors such as tradition and esprit.

Interesting writing.

Can tradition be responsible for an uptick in recruitment? Can you suddenly get more tradition? Do they display an esprit de corps now that they didn't have last year or the year before?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Interesting writing.

Can tradition be responsible for an uptick in recruitment? Can you suddenly get more tradition? Do they display an esprit de corps now that they didn't have last year or the year before?

If a person were to decide to join the military, tradition and esprit de corps could influence the choice of branch. Perhaps the marines believe they are getting more than their share of recruits for these reasons.
--
Rob

Interesting writing.

If a person were to decide to join the military, tradition and esprit de corps could influence the choice of branch. Perhaps the marines believe they are getting more than their share of recruits for these reasons.

Joinong "military" is one thing, for work....to Join the "marines"? Are they fuckin Nuts? not is not just a job/paycheck...your going to work your ass off, for shit pay...and maybe get repaid with a purple heat![:/]

Interesting writing.

Joinong "military" is one thing, for work....to Join the "marines"? Are they fuckin Nuts? not is not just a job/paycheck...your going to work your ass off, for shit pay...and maybe get repaid with a purple heat![:/]

That was a pretty left wing liberal statement there Gypsy...:P

Certainly. And the Marines have always had more cachet than the foot soldiers in the Army enjoy.

I am not sure I am clear on what the marines actually do. The saw "first on the beach" points to the elite status they assume, but they seem to largely be assigned to mind bogglingly dull tasks such as guarding the nuclear materials on navy ships from other US servicemen or standing guard at the embassy in Ottawa.
Any one have any real breakdown numbers as to what the marines are actually tasked with?

Interesting writing.

considering the time of day and his tyops... bartender, I'll one of what he's having!
--
Rob

Any one have any real breakdown numbers as to what the marines are actually tasked with?

The Marines offer almost any job that's available in the civilian side. Electricians, construction, mechanics, intel, admin, communications et al, legal, logistics, security guard, police, graphics design, info management, pilot, aircrew, etc...

mind bogglingly dull tasks such as [snip from post ] standing guard at the embassy in Ottawa

I was a Marine Security Guard from 04-08 and totally agree that Embassy duty is probably the most boring task I've ever had to do. 8 hours a day for 4-7 days a week....bored off my ass, staring at monitors and pushing buttons.

With that said, people don't sign up for Embassy duty for the boredom, they sign up for the travel and oppurtunities that come with it. During my 3 years at embassies I went to over 20 countries for work/vacation, did some really cool shit, found lifelong friends, security details for POTUS/SecState, Senators, etc..., and met many contacts for potential jobs.

I would venture to say that Embassy duty could be a bad thing for the Corps since most MSGs tend to get out as soon as their enlistment is up :D

When I was in I used to make it a point to stress MSG duty on younger Marines and offer any help needed to get them going in that direction.

Embassy duty is definately one of the best kept secrets in the Corps. Everyone knows about it, but nobody knows about it. Its like being an international superstar for 4 years....just don't fuck up. :P

More people unemployed, plus with the price of education in the USA getting your education paid for by the millitary is very attractive. Also I'd guess its the big brother effect, big brother went to Iraq now his little brother is old enough to sign up and go 'prove' himeself in Afghanistan.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Interesting writing.

considering the time of day and his tyops... bartender, I'll one of what he's having!

Typo's are a way of life for me...but if yer buying...WTF...:ph34r:

It's a combination of factors, I joined (the USAF) in 1982 when the economy sucked and had to wait to get in. When the economy is bad recruiters don't have to work as hard. With that said these kids are joining during wartime, and the Marines are tip of the spear types, that speaks for the patriotic side.

I deal with recruiters at my job, they all say they are having no problems meeting their goals. The Air Force guy really doesn't have to leave his office, the Army and Marines do some leg work but aren't working nearly as hard as they were 5 yrs ago.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

To the OT.... It most likely has to do with employment numbers.

Can tradition be responsible for an uptick in recruitment?

Yes. If you are looking to go into the Military. The marketing branding that the Marines have done may influence a persons choice.

Can you suddenly get more tradition?

An organization? No, but you can suddenly start using it as a marketing tool.

As an individual? Yes. A freshly minted Marine Recruit has now joined a very large family with strong feelings of belonging.

It is very common for me to run into a former Army guy and it would be a long time before we even knew each other severed in the Army. Marines tend to be much more vocal about their service.

Do they display an esprit de corps now that they didn't have last year or the year before?

Again, an organization can start playing it up. But an individual that has joined an organization now has that as a part of themselves. So yes, they can now display esprit de corps now that they didn't have last year.