jclalor

Another Nut endorsed by the Tea Party

The Wiking website doesn't seem offensive at all. I have no interest in joining, but there are MANY historical reanactments groups for pretty much every war you could think of. The Wiking group also reanact WWII battles with other groups that represent American Units, etc...

From their site:
http://www.wiking.org/

Who are we? We are a group of World War Two Reenactors (also called 'Living Historians' by some). This group represents a combat group of German Waffen(Combat)-SS soldiers during the second world war. All members of this nonprofit group have had a common interest in the German side of the war and want to tell the story of the average combat soldier of the German military. Our reenactment unit is based in the mid-west area of the United States and is affiliated with the World War Two Historical Reenactment Society, Inc. (WWIIHRS,Inc.) which hosts over 1000 reenactors all over the mid-west from all sides of the war.

The 5. SS Wiking reenactment group is a non-profit, nonpolitical organization dedicated to the preservation of the history of WW II and the lifestyle of the German combat soldier (specifically Waffen-SS foreign volunteers). Membership in the World War II Historical Re-Enactment Society is required of Wiking members.

Disclaimer: This page or anyone involved in its creation, or members of reenactment groups listed here, are in no way affiliated with real, radical political organizations (i.e., KKK, Aryan Nation, American Nazi Party, etc.) and do not embrace the philosophies and actions of the original NSDAP (Nazi party), and wholeheartedly condemn the atrocities which made them infamous. May the victims of this unspeakable horror rest in peace. As we portray the German combat soldier, we are only interested in recreating his daily life, furthering our understanding of what it took to be a soldier, and at the same time having fun reliving history. We honor the men (and women) who really experienced the war, and we salute their courage and loyalty to put their lives on the line in defense of their native soil, no matter what nationality or government.

The Wiking website doesn't seem offensive at all. I have no interest in joining, but there are MANY historical reanactments groups for pretty much every war you could think of.

From their site:
http://www.wiking.org/
Who are we? We are a group of World War Two Reenactors (also called 'Living Historians' by some). This group represents a combat group of German Waffen(Combat)-SS soldiers during the second world war. All members of this nonprofit group have had a common interest in the German side of the war and want to tell the story of the average combat soldier of the German military. Our reenactment unit is based in the mid-west area of the United States and is affiliated with the World War Two Historical Reenactment Society, Inc. (WWIIHRS,Inc.) which hosts over 1000 reenactors all over the mid-west from all sides of the war.

The 5. SS Wiking reenactment group is a non-profit, nonpolitical organization dedicated to the preservation of the history of WW II and the lifestyle of the German combat soldier (specifically Waffen-SS foreign volunteers). Membership in the World War II Historical Re-Enactment Society is required of Wiking members.

Disclaimer: This page or anyone involved in its creation, or members of reenactment groups listed here, are in no way affiliated with real, radical political organizations (i.e., KKK, Aryan Nation, American Nazi Party, etc.) and do not embrace the philosophies and actions of the original NSDAP (Nazi party), and wholeheartedly condemn the atrocities which made them infamous. May the victims of this unspeakable horror rest in peace. As we portray the German combat soldier, we are only interested in recreating his daily life, furthering our understanding of what it took to be a soldier, and at the same time having fun reliving history. We honor the men (and women) who really experienced the war, and we salute their courage and loyalty to put their lives on the line in defense of their native soil, no matter what nationality or government.

Nothing beats pretending to be a soldier who's main claim to fame was the mass extermination of millions of non-combatants.

How long do we have to wait until it's tasteful to play Al Quada militants planning to blow up the WTC?

"He says he participated in the group with his son "as a father-son bonding thing."

See? He's the family values candidate! And like all politicians caught doing something naughty, it will be easy to prove that they're not really doing it:

Nixon: "I am not a crook"
Craig: "I am not gay"
O'Donnell: "I am not a witch"
Iott: "I am not a Nazi"

Just when you think the Tea party can't sink any lower.

I'm thinking the Jewish vote may be a bit slim this November.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20019126-503544.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

Bit of trivia: What American President wore an SS Officer's uniform as part of his official military duties?

Answer: Ronald Reagan, making propaganda films for the War Department while on active duty.

I, personally, am not crazy about the way the Waffen SS is described in the Wiking website. There is a huge difference between the Wehrmacht and the Waffen SS; the SS - whether Allgemeine or Waffen - was purely a Party organization, and ALL members were Nazis. The Wehrmacht was the Military, and your average Laendser (German equivalent of GI) may or may not have been sympathetic to the NSDAP cause.

If a Wehrmacht unit, such as the Grossdeutschland Division, took a Shtetl, the occupants stood a much higher chance of survival than if it had been a Waffen SS unit.

In any event, none of the actual White Supremacists of my acquaintance would be likely to participate in any kind of reenactment activities, and I suspect that it is about as romanticized as if they were playing "Cowboys and Indians."

My rabbi might think otherwise, but I am expected to think for myself.

BSBD,

Winsor

"He says he participated in the group with his son "as a father-son bonding thing."

See? He's the family values candidate! And like all politicians caught doing something naughty, it will be easy to prove that they're not really doing it:

Don't forget
Clinton "I did not have sexual relations with that woman"
It would be better if we could find a Bush jr quote that says "I am not a idiot"
Life is a banquet, and most poor fools are starving to death

when was the last time the NAACP spoke out against civil war re-enactment?

Since you ask: 01/14/2007

http://richmond.indymedia.org/newswire/display/12548/index.php

Was that a trick question?

no, it wasn't a trick question. latest I'd found was 2003, so once every 3 or 4 years they get in a bind over a historical re-enactment group. Interesting timing.
--
Rob

Buried at the bottom of the article:

"He added that he has participated in re-enactments as a Civil War Union infantryman, a World War I dough boy and World War II American infantryman and paratrooper."
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Clinton: "I did not have sexual relations with that woman."
Obama: "I won't raise taxes, not one single dime"
Reid: "We'll just shove it down their throats"
Pelosi: "Natural gas is cheap, abundant and clean compared to fossil fuels,"
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>Does that mean that I'm Nazi now?

Only if you dress up in Nazi uniforms, hang a swastika on your wall, say "Heil Hitler" a few times and recite Nazi slogans. (Which I have a feeling you wouldn't do.)

Not unless I was acting out a role. I haven't done that, and don't plan to.

If that is the criteria, then the actors in these films are all nazis.[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>Does that mean that I'm Nazi now?

Only if you dress up in Nazi uniforms, hang a swastika on your wall, say "Heil Hitler" a few times and recite Nazi slogans. (Which I have a feeling you wouldn't do.)

Call me not convinced that the politician who wants to do war reenactments of SS Waffen units in full Nazi regalia.. is the shapest knife in the drawer... kinda like Prince Harry should have known that dressing up in a uniform with a swastika on it would have consequences.

>If that is the criteria, then the actors in these films are all nazis.

If you play a Nazi and get paid well for it, you're (by definition) an actor.

If you contribute your own time because you enjoy doing it, it's a lot more murky.

Look at it this way. If a man gets paid $100 grand to dress up like a woman for a made-for-TV comedy, he's an actor. If he buys his own dresses, puts on makeup and hangs around in bars for fun, it might be a little more than acting.

>If that is the criteria, then the actors in these films are all nazis.

If you play a Nazi and get paid well for it, you're (by definition) an actor.

If you contribute your own time because you enjoy doing it, it's a lot more murky.

Look at it this way. If a man gets paid $100 grand to dress up like a woman for a made-for-TV comedy, he's an actor. If he buys his own dresses, puts on makeup and hangs around in bars for fun, it might be a little more than acting.

Hey I wonder if he is going to dig out the uniform for Heil-O-Ween

Only a frickin idiot would think someone being an actor who does war re-enactments as a Nazi is a Nazi. Or that it has any bearing on their Political ideas. Get a frickin life.

Only a fucking idiot would think from the above link that he was accused of being a Nazi, perhaps of being an idiot, but not a Nazi.

Why a person would like to dress up and role play the group of people who were behind the mass killing of women and children is beyond me. This speaks to character, and character has much to do when running for any public office.

Only a frickin idiot would think someone being an actor who does war re-enactments as a Nazi is a Nazi. Or that it has any bearing on their Political ideas. Get a frickin life.

Only a fucking idiot would think from the above link that he was accused of being a Nazi, perhaps of being an idiot, but not a Nazi.

Why a person would like to dress up and role play the group of people who were behind the mass killing of women and children is beyond me. This speaks to character, and character has much to do when running for any public office.

Only a frickin idiot would believe what you just said. This expains a lot about peoples psychotic delusions about the capabilities of those they vote for and why they are so sorely disappointed with their performance in office.

I'm sure next we'll be hearing about how skydivers aren't fit for office because they are known risk takers and will surely jeapordize our economy with their known risky behavior. Or how a candidate for office must be a witch because they dereesed up in a witches costume for Halloween.

I was bumming through a Civil War reenactment several years ago and volunteered to be a Union soldier for one of the battles ( I died ). Ask any one of the many people here that have met me, or have heard me talk. Not a yankee.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

when was the last time the NAACP spoke out against civil war re-enactment?

Since you ask: 01/14/2007

http://richmond.indymedia.org/newswire/display/12548/index.php

Was that a trick question?

That had nothing to do with civil war reenactment. You are going to have to find another example that works for the question that was asked.

At 10:00 a.m., the NAACP and the Virginia Anti-War Network held a press conference at the site of the monument to publicly register opposition to taxpayers' dollars being used to show support for the SCV's glorification of the general.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
"1981 to 1988 is 7 years"-Kallend (oops, it's actually 8 years Kallend)

The decade of the 80's was from 1980 to 1989. 10 years. If you remove 1980 and 1989 you have 1981 to 1988. 8 years.