btwitche1975

Fear

Hello Everyone.
I'm new to Skydiving. First Jump was about two months ago and I am currently scheduled to do my third AFF jump next weekend.

Every jump I have made has gone very well up to this point, and I have had a great time on every one of them. I love this sport and I can't imagine ever giving it up.

My problem appears to be that I have read so much into the technical & training side of the sport that I end up making myself terrified before every jump. From my experience the training material tends to revolve around how not to buy the farm and that tends to shift my focus from enjoying the sport to surviving it (an obvious thing).;) The fear only lasts up to the point where I approach the door and then it all goes away and my focus takes over. I have never felt scared or paranoid at the door or after an exit. I have been ultra conservative with my progression. Before my first AFF jump I flew five minutes in a tunnel, and after my second I flew fifteen. I have read and understood almost the entire SIM and many of the safety articles on this website (canopy skills, turbulence, exit separation etc...). I even watched every mal video I could find just to get a better idea of what a real one looks like in the sky and how more experience skydivers deal with them.

All of my instructors say things are going well but I end up biting my nails all week.

I know this is a dangerous sport and I completely accept and understand the risks and consequences that go with it. I just want to become an educated skydiver without fraying my nerves.Am I doing more harm than good by trying to learn too much?

Should I put the books & articles down & just focus on what my instructors have to say?

Is being way too analytical a bad trait in this sport? (I can't help it I'm an Engineer) and if so: Fuck!!

If anybody else has experienced this dilemma please give me some advice.

Rock On and Thanks:)
Oh yea, I started to read the master rigger training courses too.:$

/*
This is my rig... There are many like it, but this one is mine.
*/

Do a search on fear, there has been a lot of discussion on it. I am as you described when I was first learning to skydive - read everything I could get my hands on.

Experiencing fear is normal, it will pass with time.

Relax and have fun and ummmm, yes, listen to your instructors...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

hi i was just like you i got every book and film they maid.my wife got sick of me always reading. every time i get in my car to go jump my nerves are shot. when i get to the d.z. and start talking to our fellow jumpers or watching landings it all goes away.so i think its normal so keep to the books it can only make you better.;)

Relax and have fun and ummmm, yes, listen to your instructors...

Absolutely! I listen to my instructors and attempt to apply the rules & procedures exatly how they lay them out regardless of what I read recreationally. I'm not going to pretend that I can understand procedures or decision criteria which is meant for people with far greater skill. My EPs are the the ones appropriate for my level and approved by my instructors WITHOUT exception - as are all of the thing I plan to do on my dives.

/*
*/

hey there!

i totally understand where you are coming from. Ive done 5 AFF jumps, im mad keen to become a good skydiver, but i suffer from incredible nerves. Like you i have read every bit of skydiving literature and watched every video/movie footage i can get my hands on. I also spend alot of time at the DZ talking to people and learning learning learning. I dont think its a bad thing, knowledge is no burden to carry providing you are able to focus on what is happening during your currnet jump. Picking up hints and tips, is always useful! I always check info with my instructors though..

With my nerves, they kick in for me at 20 minute call.. settle down once im in the plane and then come on when the red light goes on! Its at these times, when im shaking, my hands are sweaty and my stomach is a rock when i say to myself "what the HELL am i doing?". But then i do the jump, have a ball in freefall, deal with anything that crops up, i rock under canopy and have sweet landings. I come down wanting to do it again NOW! Its like a love-hate relationship, and of all the people ive spoken to, most skydivers have been here at some stage or other. They tell me that nerves will always be there, its just the levels that change, which comes with experience and confidence. The nerves and fear is all part of it, itd be pretty boring if there wasnt any nerves or excitement there.

Im learning to read my body and try to deal with the nerves (deep breaths, positive thoughts, visualise the perfect dive). I eat/drink as much as i can when im NOT nervous, so say after a jump (being hungry/dehyrated makes nerves so much worse) and be sure to be in tip top shape when jumping (i have grounded myself due to a hangover). I also chat to my instrctors about exactly how im feeling, they know their stuff and can help me deal with my nerves. If im antsy, and they know it, they know that they dont need to gee me up, but rather calm me down some!

and yes remember.. nerves keep you on your toes.. and will keep you safe. An experienced skydiver said to me that part of learning to skydive is learning not to let nerves control you!

FW

fear is normal. althought the level changes with your time in this very sport, it will never be gone completly.
the things you should aware of are stress & panic. if you are stressed, your reaction start to slow down and trouble begins. so my advice would be: know your fears, learn anything you are able to learn to prevent situations where your fears turn into stress and panic thus narrowing down your survicalskills. apart from that: enjoy your time in the sky :)
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Two words - jump more. The first jump of the day is usually the most nervous, so do two AFF jumps in a day if you can. As you gain confidence, you'll be less scared, but the fact is, it's not what you're reading that scares you. It's the two miles of air between you and the ground that's got your attention. If you ever lose that healthy respect for gravity, you really will be in danger.

if you werent nervous there is something wrong. i've been struggling for the past year to finish AFF because of fear. The only thing i can say is don't let the fear take over soo bad that you don't get out. Riding the plane down makes it harder to get back in it and the fear just gets bigger from there.

Be scared, be nervous, and when its time to get out think, breath, and go. If at all possible Do not ride it down. My biggest mistake...riding the plane down.

--------------------------------------------------

Do you have a steak? i'll take it!

Thank you for the different angles. :)
When I first looked at Brian's book my usual skepticism set in, but I gave the preview a look and I think it may be very useful.

I'm going attempt (weather & tandems permitting) three jumps this weekend and get some good feedback.

Btw: I was thinking of doing a thirty minute session in the tunnel after my fifth AFF level. Is my money better spent waiting until my skills are better?

Y'all Rock!!:)

/*
*/

I don't know a whole lot, but I would say the more time in the tunnel the better. I haven't been in the tunnel yet but am looking forward to it. Also as far as the fear thing goes all I can do is tell you what someone once told me when they realized I was pretty nervous on the ride up. They said everyone has a different time dealing with it. For some people it takes 25 jumps for others it takes 100's its just a matter of time and how you deal with it. I still get a little excited when I pull on to Del Ray (the road the DZ is on) but its nolonger so much fear as excitement. Keep with it.
Yeah...You need to grow up. -Skymama

recently graduated AFF - I'm still very nervous every time I jump and I always go over and over my EPs and the entire jump beforehand. I think it's good because we're so inexperienced, that if we don't get scared into remembering to practice something, that's the jump something will go wrong and we'll forget what to do - where as with experience the fear will slowly diminish as EPs become more routine and automatic. just a thought.. have fun completing AFF!!
"I believe the risks I take are justified by the sheer love of the life I lead" - Charles Lindbergh

As one of those INTP engineering sorts -

Two of the best responses to this I've heard -

"Courage is not the absense of fear, but the realization that the goal is more important than the fear."

"If you worry, you're going to die. If you don't worry, you're going to die. Why worry?"

;)

We all go through it - in time you will learn to acknowlege the fear and learn to work with it, not against it. Focus on what you need to do right, not on what can go wrong - close your eyes in the plane on the ride up, take a nice deep breath and smile. It works wonders :)

<<<"If you worry, you're going to die. If you don't worry, you're going to die. Why worry?" >>>>

Now my new favorite quote. Thank you. :)

...every time I jump and I always go over and over my EPs and the entire jump beforehand.

"Fixed" ever-so-slightly for too many "and's" ;)

So do I.

Don't ever stop!
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I have made 6 jumps now and to be honest I havent been nervous really that much, but I can say one way I havent I see myself in the dive over and over going thru the steps and picture it very smooth and slow which helps me. Go over and over what you are supposed to do and remember the basics. I alway know that i can always just stop and have a good arch and feel safe. Now I will say this I have been jumping every weeeknd sat and sun so I have little time between which I think helps as well.

I have a horrible time with fear! It's so bad that some days I can't even get to the dz! A problem I have right now is that I don't really enjoy freefall but I LOVE THE CANOPY. That's the reason why I keep trying. I've been stuck on every level and now I'm stuck on level 6. For some reason I'm unable to relax in freefall. I read somewhere that sex is suppose to help with that "stress" but I don't know for sure. Ha! Anyway, it's a major problem for me and lately I've come to a conclusion. For me: I should stop reading all the stuff there is to read! I should stop watching any skydiving videos (no matter how cool)! I should stop visualizing the perfect dive!! Just go, don't think and jump! I'm going to try that this weekend. How about that!
"It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities." - A. Dumbledore

My, suggestion, get some tunnel time. This will build your confidence as a "flyer" . If money allows, go to Orlando, or anywhere they have a Vertical Wind Tunnel. Once you are confident in your "flying" skills, I think that this will help reduce your anxiety. Besides, tunnel flying is really fun.

Try to get your AFF done all in one hit. The longer you leave it between jumps the more scrared you'll be when you head out to the DZ. Condense your learning.

;)

Fear is normal but don't let it worry you too much. Otherwise you wouldn't leave the plane.

Never try to skip a stage of natural progression...