rhaig

Man Killed by Mexican Pirates on Texas Lake

Chuck wasn't talking about law enforcement personnel, Bill...but you already knew that.

Even so, if you're legally carrying a gun and someone shoots at you are you really going to be prosecuted for defending yourself? In Texas?

Stereotype much?

Eh? Where's the stereotype?

I was simply under the impression that Texan self defence laws were very permissive, even by normal US standards.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Chuck wasn't talking about law enforcement personnel, Bill...but you already knew that.

Even so, if you're legally carrying a gun and someone shoots at you are you really going to be prosecuted for defending yourself? In Texas?

Stereotype much?

I was simply under the impression that Texan self defence laws were very permissive, even by normal US standards.

It's more permissive in regards to defense against a home invasion, but in other circumstances not much different than the rest of the country - or, at least, other pro-2nd states.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Stereotype much?

every shooting in TX reported to the police requires (by law) a grand jury hearing. So you're going to be arrested certainly. Whether or not you're charged is up to the grand jury. Then you get to go defend yourself in front of a jury of your peers.
--
Rob

>:(>:(>:(>:(

ACT OF WAR!

>:(>:(>:(>:(

Okay, maybe we don't go to war with Mexico. But that sack 'o' garbage in the White House needs to do something radical about this situation, RIGHT NOW.

I wonder why that pussy from Texas didn't do anything about this as it grew worse and worse in the last 10 years

Leave it to an America hating liberal to blame George Bush. STFU

nah... it's that people think that the TX gov has any power. The gov position in TX is a figurehead position. Honestly I bet Rick Perry's hair has more governmental power in TX than he does. Political influence? yeah, that's different.

He can certainly overspend just like the majority party and the President does.
And this is just on a remodel of the Governers Mansion. Nothing like some luxury to help the politicians feel comfortable while they sign our money away.

I heard on the news yesterday, where Perry and the other guy running for Texas Governor are getting their campaign money. Most of Perrys is coming from huge businesses who Perry has pushed bills for through the State House over the years. Perry can be bought, he's just not cheap!

Chuck

I googled 'laws pertaining to protection of private property from illegal aliens in Texas'.

Thanks Chuck. I used that in Google and went through the first 6-7 pages of hits. Most relate to constitutional rights of illegal aliens, such as education for children or access to health care. The only ones I saw that pertain to private property were the cases we've already discussed, where the issue is not detaining the illegals but rather administering a little impromptu "frontier justice". Frankly, I did not find a single thing that suggests that property owners can't try to keep out trespassers, or detain trespassers until law enforcement or the Border Patrol can come and pick them up. I also can't find any law or court judgment that suggests in any way that illegals have any rights that US citizens do not. If any such laws or judgments do exist, I'd really appreciate a specific link. Thanks,

Don

I googled 'laws pertaining to protection of private property from illegal aliens in Texas'.

Thanks Chuck. I used that in Google and went through the first 6-7 pages of hits. Most relate to constitutional rights of illegal aliens, such as education for children or access to health care. The only ones I saw that pertain to private property were the cases we've already discussed, where the issue is not detaining the illegals but rather administering a little impromptu "frontier justice". Frankly, I did not find a single thing that suggests that property owners can't try to keep out trespassers, or detain trespassers until law enforcement or the Border Patrol can come and pick them up. I also can't find any law or court judgment that suggests in any way that illegals have any rights that US citizens do not. If any such laws or judgments do exist, I'd really appreciate a specific link. Thanks,

Don[/reply

It appears, should a land owner catch some illegals on his property, he'd better be real careful as to how he approaches and handles the situation. There is still, the possibility the land owner could find himself in a real bind.

Chuck

>It appears, should a land owner catch some illegals on his property, he'd
>better be real careful as to how he approaches and handles the situation.
>There is still, the possibility the land owner could find himself in a real bind.

From what I can tell, if someone shoots at him, there's no problem with him shooting back in self defense - no matter what their immigration status.

However, if he decides to "arrest" some people he found on his property, and tries to "hold them at gunpoint" or some such, he could indeed get in trouble - again, no matter what their immigration status.

Citizen's arrest? I would assume, it would be better to get a good description, direction of travel and any other useful information, give all that to the proper authorities and let them handle it. I know of a lot of folks along the border who are really fed-up with illegals trashing their property and breaking in to out-buildings or their homes, stealing vehicles or anything else that isn't nailed down and so-on and so-on. My question is... how much of that do they have to put-up with? To a lot of folks, calling Border Patrol doesn't 'fix' what the illegals 'broke'. It gets to be a hard pill to swallow.

Chuck

> I would assume, it would be better to get a good description, direction
>of travel and any other useful information, give all that to the proper
>authorities and let them handle it.

Definitely.

>My question is... how much of that do they have to put-up with?

They shouldn't have to put up with any of it. I guess my point is that they shouldn't have to put up with it whether or not the vandalism comes from local teens, a US gang or illegal immigrants.

But if a rancher overreacts and "holds them at gunpoint" (or does other vigilante-like stuff) he may find himself in hot water. And again, he'll find himself in hot water whether they are miscreant teens or illegal immigrants.

depends. sec 9 of Tx Penal code describes when the use of force (and deadly force) is allowed. Criminal mischief (vandalism) doesn't cross the line unless it's at night.

I'm sure there are some actions they might take that would be justifiable under sec 9, but as long as it's just stuff, I don't think it's worth shooting anyone over.
--
Rob

I saw this story on TV this morning.

Who's saying that there isn't a problem with violence in Mexico leaking into the US?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/mexican-pirates-shot-tourist-head/story?id=11784598

Just heard this morning, U.S. authorities have contacted Mexican authorities in regard to this matter. Mexican authorities say they have not found a body or jet-ski. In other words, they don't believe it happened and are in essence, saying the wife 'made it up'. U.S. authorities are accusing Mexican authorities of not even looking.

Chuck

Definitely.

They shouldn't have to put up with any of it. I guess my point is that they shouldn't have to put up with it whether or not the vandalism comes from local teens, a US gang or illegal immigrants.

But if a rancher overreacts and "holds them at gunpoint" (or does other vigilante-like stuff) he may find himself in hot water. And again, he'll find himself in hot water whether they are miscreant teens or illegal immigrants.

I found the statute in regard to dealing with trespassers in Texas. Basically, it states that the property owner must have his property posted and in the event of a trespasser(s), the property owner can verbally tell them to leave and should get good descriptions and report it to police. Actually, it says to 'avoid' confrontation but nothing about holding them at gun-point.

Chuck

Definitely.

I found the statute in regard to dealing with trespassers in Texas. Basically, it states that the property owner must have his property posted and in the event of a trespasser(s), the property owner can verbally tell them to leave and should get good descriptions and report it to police. Actually, it says to 'avoid' confrontation but nothing about holding them at gun-point.

Chuck

So, in other words, you parroted the RWC talking points on this matter. Talking points that have little to no basis in fact. The talking points sure sounded real good, right up until you fact checked them. Then you come to the realization that you have been lied to, and have repeated those lies in error.

You might just be able to break free from the RWC mindset and start thinking for yourself. BRAVO!!!

The lesson for ALL RWCs is that fact-checking is really important, when it comes to the information presented to you by your preferred sources.

Faux News is STILL litigating to establish the right to force newsreaders to broadcast information that the newsreaders KNOW to be factually incorrect. This is quite a departure from the journalistic ethics to which respectable organizations adhere to.

Faux News is STILL litigating to establish the right to force newsreaders to broadcast information that the newsreaders KNOW to be factually incorrect. This is quite a departure from the journalistic ethics to which respectable organizations adhere to.

???
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Definitely.

Chuck

So, in other words, you parroted the RWC talking points on this matter. Talking points that have little to no basis in fact. The talking points sure sounded real good, right up until you fact checked them. Then you come to the realization that you have been lied to, and have repeated those lies in error.

You might just be able to break free from the RWC mindset and start thinking for yourself. BRAVO!!!

The lesson for ALL RWCs is that fact-checking is really important, when it comes to the information presented to you by your preferred sources.

I haven't the slightest clue as to what the hell you said! Whatever RWC is... I don't have any 'preferred' sources. I was referring to the Texas Statute on 'trespassers' and how a land owner can deal with them. Where you came-up with what you did is beyond me. Ya' need to put-down the wacky-weed!

Chuck

>So, in other words, you parroted the RWC talking points on this matter.

?? No, he explained the law that he researched. Researching what the laws say concerning your property is generally a good idea no matter what side of the aisle you're on.

The governor of Texas is 'pushing' the Mexican govt. to become 'active' in the investigation and to help find the body. This could also play right into the governor's hands. This is an election year and he's running again. I wonder, how much attention he would pay to this incident if it were not an election year.

Chuck

The governor of Texas is 'pushing' the Mexican govt. to become 'active' in the investigation and to help find the body. This could also play right into the governor's hands. This is an election year and he's running again. I wonder, how much attention he would pay to this incident if it were not an election year.

Chuck

we all know he'd pay crap-all attention to it last year.

outside of election year, he's more concerned about his hair.
--
Rob

Chuck

See you need Ann Richards back in office.:ph34r:

Chuck

Yup! Also, after Arizona passed their controversial law, Perry said Texas would never have such a law. Now, he's pushing for one like it. From what I can see, he'll go to the highest bidder.

Chuck

This isn't a case of Mexican violence entering the US. It is a case of Americans entering Mexico illegally.

Many here believe Mexicans, illegally entering the US, should be shot on sight. What's good for the goose...and all that stuff.

Then you seem to support the idea of Americans shooting illegal mexicans on site if you don't have a problem with Mexicans shooting Americans.