jgoose71

Companies sucsessfully ran by Unions

Does any one know of any? Everyone knows about General motors, the airline unions, unions for the post office, schools, and other government agencies and companies that are failing or will never be great again that the unions have gotten a hold of.

This is a serious question. What companies out there that are unionized that are highly successful or are at least growing?
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

What companies out there that are unionized that are highly successful or are at least growing?

"Highly successful" is highly subjective.
"Or at least growing" is less subjective, but in this economy just treading water is doing better than most.

The entire way you've framed the question is . . . questionable. Unions don't "run" companies; management does.

There are a large number of companies that are successful and have been for decades with union members.

My understanding is, for instance, Disney still makes a dime or two.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Does any one know of any? Everyone knows about General motors, the airline unions, unions for the post office, schools, and other government agencies and companies that are failing or will never be great again that the unions have gotten a hold of.

This is a serious question. What companies out there that are unionized that are highly successful or are at least growing?

Elevator unions are not wanting as bad as some.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Ford Motors has posted a series of fairly impressive numbers over the last 2-3 years in really troubled times. The union there made some concessions but the health of the company is looking really great currently.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Disney still makes a dime or two.

That little known airline Southwest manages OK too.

In the end, management of a company gets the union it deserves.

Southwest Airlines is non-union is it not.

They just bought Air Tran
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

What companies out there that are unionized that are highly successful or are at least growing?

"Highly successful" is highly subjective.
"Or at least growing" is less subjective, but in this economy just treading water is doing better than most.

The entire way you've framed the question is . . . questionable. Unions don't "run" companies; management does.

There are a large number of companies that are successful and have been for decades with union members.

My understanding is, for instance, Disney still makes a dime or two.

The whole reason for the post is trying to get the other side of the story. Every time I turn on the news I hear about how evil unions are.

Unions have a purpose. They represent the workers to the employers to make sure they are treated fairly. It seems now a days unions are willing to sacrifice the health of the company for their own personal gain though. I just recently saw an example of that with a teachers union here in the gulf coast.

Like I said, they have a purpose though and I was fishing for a couple of unions that haven't gone corrupt yet.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

The Southwest Airline Pilots' Association, a union not affiliated with the Air Line Pilots Association, International, represents the airline's pilots. The Aircraft Maintenance Technicians' are represented by the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA). Customer Service Agents and Reservation Agents are represented by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Union (IAM). Flight Dispatchers, Flight Attendants, Ramp agents and Operations agents are represented by the Transport Workers Union (TWU).

http://www.twu556.org/ - Flight attendant
http://www.swapa.org/ - Pilots
http://www.amfa11.com/ - One of the maintenance locals
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Well, unions are corporations. Like other companies, their primary purpose is to enrich themselves. This means at the expense of customers, clients, and even each other. Take a look at how friggin nasty unions are to each other!

I personally have no problem with companies out there to make a buck. I DO have a problem with companies that have the decks stacked in their favor. So, I'd like to see exemptions to Sherman Anti-trust laws repealed - including those of unions.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Southwest Airlines is non-union is it not.

Oh! The fourth reading was the charm.
You meant: "Southwest Airlines is non-union, is it not?"

There's (seriously) a book called "Eats, Shoots and Leaves." You should read it.

(I'm still trying to figure out why the companies were running, and why they were running by those unions; but I'll take that up with the OP.)

Ford Motors has posted a series of fairly impressive numbers over the last 2-3 years in really troubled times. The union there made some concessions but the health of the company is looking really great currently.

Yea I've kinda been amused lately how people try to blame the uaw for the downfall of GM and chrysler yet fail to acknowledge that ford is doing just fine. What they also fail to realize is that all three automakers have the EXACT SAME agreement with the UAW. Why can ford make do with that contract just fine but GM and Chrysler scapegoat the union and fail to acknowledge their own failure at a management level?

Yea I've kinda been amused lately how people try to blame the uaw for the downfall of GM and chrysler yet fail to acknowledge that ford is doing just fine. What they also fail to realize is that all three automakers have the EXACT SAME agreement with the UAW. Why can ford make do with that contract just fine but GM and Chrysler scapegoat the union and fail to acknowledge their own failure at a management level?

Because management makes the excuses and management never blames itself.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Yea I've kinda been amused lately how people try to blame the uaw for the downfall of GM and chrysler yet fail to acknowledge that ford is doing just fine.

Is Ford doing "just fine," or is it just the least weak of the 3? They were just as dependent on the SUV dollar as anyone. They aren't as narrow in product as Chrysler, or as bloated as GM.