kallend

Atheists, agnostics most knowledgeable about religion

Please don't try to tell me what I believe or can call myself now.

Well, that would pretty much derail the whole point of this thread tangent wouldn't it?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I don't know. It says so in the Bible, but all I can impact is what happens on earth, so I'll work on that for now.

I like this. (I don't believe or disbelieve, I just don't think it matters for a sincere person, for reference).

You're saying that you are a believer because it's a positive force in your life (or you choose to use that belief to be a better person). But you can only focus on the reality of what's here, and now, right in front of you.

I can disagree with your belief, but I can respect how you've chosen to let it shape your life. And I know first hand that you're a good person.

So why in the heck should it be my mission to change that or argue against such a personal and individual decision. Seems if I did that, it would just be to stroke my own ego.

(I've also seen quietly confident atheists that I feel the same way about and can use this exact same post for them almost verbatim).

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I don't know. It says so in the Bible, but all I can impact is what happens on earth, so I'll work on that for now.

Please don't try to tell me what I believe or can call myself now.

Wendy P.

Not really interested in doing either of those things. Jut curious as to what you believe.

all I can impact is what happens on earth, so I'll work on that for now.

IMHO, that's what agnosticism is all about. I don't know if there is a god or not, and honestly, I don't care. To me it's just an academic question. What difference does it make in the real world? If we could prove god exists, will wars and suffering and starvation suddenly disappear off the face of the Earth? Obviously not, because if god could do that, why do wars and suffering and starvation exist in the first place? If god exists, he doesn't seem to give a damn about us.

When you step on an ant, do you care? Even if the ant considered you a god and prayed to you everyday of its insignificant life?
"One day, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching."

Dudeist Skydiver #101

morals come from God , not man. if it was up to man it would be might makes right , and only the strong survive . and who is man to tell another man what's right ? without God it's a free for all !

No, morals come from man. Even the ones that someone said came from god, came from man.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

morals and morality never change . one may have an alternate set of morals that are different than God given morals . the unchanging morals cannot be manmade because if a man made them a man could change them. just like God given rights !

Men made them and men can change them. What is and is not moral has changed vastly (and a great deal of it for the better) since the time you think god handed them down.

>morals come from God , not man.

No, morals come from us. People believe in a great many different gods, and there are a great many moralities around the world. There are devout Christians who are doctor killers, priests who are pedophiles, atheists who are terrorists, agnostics who dedicate their lives to helping the poor etc. There's no hard-and-fast correlation between morality and belief.

So where did our morality come from? Nature, it turns out. All the animals closest to us evolutionarily show signs of morality. Altruism, compassion, love, sympathy, empathy, anger, vindictiveness, jealousy, greed - all the fundamental forces that drive our morality are seen in other animals. They serve useful purposes in animals that function in social groups, and thus that behavior has been gradually reinforced over millions of years.

>and who is man to tell another man what's right ?

We call these people "judges" and "juries" here in the US.

>another poster asked for a list of God given rights among thes are
>life liberty , and the pursuit of happiness !

And yet when those words were written, black people were denied two of those three things as a rule. Times (and morality) changes.

you and the previous 2 posters have compiled lists of immoral acts , and indirectly are assisting in making my point .
another poster asked for a list of God given rights
among thes are
life
liberty , and
the pursuit of happiness !

No those are the rights of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. How could you be so blind you fool.
B.A.S.E. #1734

you and the previous 2 posters have compiled lists of immoral acts , and indirectly are assisting in making my point .
another poster asked for a list of God given rights
among thes are
life
liberty , and

Can you tell me where I may find my God given rights in the bible. You do reailize thier was not too much liberty floating around back during the days of the OT.

So the Declaration of Independence is a source of knowledge on God? Damn, those guys were good.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Jakee's in the UK. He doesn't really give a flying fuck what's in the Declaration of Independence, any more than you care deeply about the Restoration.

It's just funny that it takes a secular document, produced in the 1700's, to identify what the God-given rights are. Especially considering liberty wasn't really even one of the God-give rights, unless you weren't a slave.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

life
liberty , and

So when did god give you those? What does he do to ensure you keep them?

why do these SELF EVIDENT God given rights threaten you libs so much ?

No that easy to google an answer for those kind of questions, right?

This time, not quick enough, mate. :|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

life
liberty , and

So when did god give you those? What does he do to ensure you keep them?

why do these SELF EVIDENT God given rights threaten you libs so much ?

Excuse me? When did I say anything at all about beng threatened? When did I say I had a problem with the rights?

My question seems to bother you. Are you angry at your own inability to answer it?

Excuse me? When did I say anything at all about beng threatened? When did I say I had a problem with the rights?

My question seems to bother you. Are you angry at your own inability to answer it?

I get called a nutcase for supporting scientists, engineers and architects that have published peer reviewed journals on thier hypothesis of controlled demolition on 9/11.

And here he is trying to tell us he believes in talking snakes, immaclate conception, that the world as we know it is only 10,000 or so years old, dinosaurs did not exist... the list goes on.

Who's the fucking nutcase?

:D
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix