Belgian_Draft

More DUI's should be handled this way.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/39383881/ns/sports-baseball/

Blatant disregard for human life should carry the same penalty whether sober with a gun or drunk with a car.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Blatant disregard for human life should carry the same penalty whether sober with a gun or drunk with a car.

I completely agree.

Same page here!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/39383881/ns/sports-baseball/

Agreed; but a lot of bleeding hearts will counter that it is a disease at work and that the offender should be treated instead of punished.

My reply to that is that I am pretty darn lazy, and that my laziness is a disease with genetics either outright responsible, or at the least making me predisposed to laziness. I can not help it; so I need other people to coddle me - buy me a car, an education, health care, groceries, a place to live, satellite TV, beer, etc; all the things I do not take care of myself because I have a disease.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I need other people to coddle me - buy me a car, an education, health care, groceries, a place to live, satellite TV, beer, etc; all the things I do not take care of myself because I have a disease.

Oh crap-You're liberal. Report to quarantine immediately before it spreads even further.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

I completely agree.

Do you think the drunk driver would have gotten the same sentence if he ran over a guy in Compton.....rather than a famous sports guy?

Justice is a strange thing in America[:/]

Edited for dyslexic fingers this morning

I completely agree.

Do you think the drunk driver would have gotten the same sentence if he ran over a guy in Compton.....rather than a famouis sports guy?

Probably not, but... I was in a car hit by a drunk driver. It was myself and 3 friends, all of us were under 18 and on the way to the local pool. The guy who hit us got 3 years in jail and no one was killed. Two of us just got hurt pretty bad.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I completely agree.

Do you think the drunk driver would have gotten the same sentence if he ran over a guy in Compton.....rather than a famous sports guy?
Edited for dyslexic fingers this morning

wasn't O.J. from compton ?

From the linked news story:
"Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas said it was the 11th DUI-related murder conviction in the county since 2008."
I don't recall reading about 10 other prominent sports figures being killed by drunk drivers in Orange County. I bet most or all of those 10 victims were just "some guy".

Seems to me justice was served in this case.

Don

From the linked news story:
"Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas said it was the 11th DUI-related murder conviction in the county since 2008."
I don't recall reading about 10 other prominent sports figures being killed by drunk drivers in Orange County. I bet most or all of those 10 victims were just "some guy".

Seems to me justice was served in this case.

Don

It would be interesting so see what the "sentencing" guidelines are... and the ethnic makeup's of the drivers.. and their victims compared to the overall rate of DUI accident rates where fatalities occurred. Orange County...... uh huh....riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

>Why?

Because blatant disregard for human life should carry the same penalty no matter what the person is carrying, driving, doing, smoking or drinking.

should the results matter? or the behavior

examples:

results - bigger penalty if the driver kills someone vs injures

behavior - same penalty if the driver kills someone vs injures

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Justice is a strange thing in America

I don't know about Compton, but in plenty of places they are treating a DWI death as Second Degree Murder. NC law mandates a murder two charge for DWI deaths in many cases. I saw a guy get sentenced to 25 to life for dwi death charged as second degree murder. It was his second dwi conviction, fourth dwi arrest. The victim, well, we shouldn't speak ill of the dead so I won't tell you what I know about him. Let's just say he wasn't the most sympathetic victim.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Justice is a strange thing in America

I don't know about Compton, but in plenty of places they are treating a DWI death as Second Degree Murder. NC law mandates a murder two charge for DWI deaths in many cases. I saw a guy get sentenced to 25 to life for dwi death charged as second degree murder. It was his second dwi conviction, fourth dwi arrest. The victim, well, we shouldn't speak ill of the dead so I won't tell you what I know about him. Let's just say he wasn't the most sympathetic victim.

I really do like mandatory sentencing... it removes the ability of those who can afford to evade meaningful justice, the ability to do so.. or at least in a world where justice is not for sale....or only the well to do or well connected can get justice.