skipbelt

worst presidents in our lifetimes

worst
carter
followed closely by
clinton http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2010/09/19/clinton-falsely-claims-he-lowered-national-debt-gregory-doesnt-challenge-him
then
ford
nixon
bush 43
bush 41
kennedy
reagan
obuma is proving to be a real piker
part of the lib "in" crowd
"in" ept
"in" competent
"in" experienced
and rapidly rocketing up the worst list !

worst
carter
followed closely by
clinton http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2010/09/19/clinton-falsely-claims-he-lowered-national-debt-gregory-doesnt-challenge-him
then
ford
nixon
bush 43
bush 41
kennedy
reagon

"in" ept
"in" competent
"in" experienced

I nominate this for worst use of bandwith of our lifetime...

i second , now back to topic........

Can we diverge for a second and talk about spell checkers and capitalization as well as some semblance of proper useage of the English language?

no , back to topic.......

The problem with your supposition is it is WRONG

President Obama ranks 15th out of 44 in a poll of the best and worst presidents while former President George W. Bush earns a place in the bottom five, according to the Siena College Research Institute's recent survey of 238 presidential scholars released Thursday. [See a slide show of the 10 Worst Presidents.]
Obama secured a top ten place in two skill set categories, communication ability (7th) and ability to compromise (10th), and in two personality trait categories, imagination (6th) and intelligence (8th). Background, described as family, education, and experience, proved his lowest score at 32nd.
This is the 5th time the institute has conducted the survey of U.S. presidents, which is done a year after a new president takes office. The inaugural survey in 1982 ranked then-President Ronald Reagan at 16th. "Obviously, there's not great validity to it since they've only been in office for one year," says the survey's co-director and statistician Douglas Lonnstrom. "But it's a benchmark for us to see how they move." [Take our poll: Who is the worst president?]
President tend to rank around 20th while they are in office, and Obama is no exception. His actions over the next few years will decide if he stays roughly the same like Reagan—who moved from 16th to 20th, 22nd, 16th again, and finally to 18th this year—or like Bush, who fell a dramatic 16 slots in the first poll after he left office, from 23rd to 39th.
Bush made the top twenty in only two categories, luck (18th) and willingness to take risks (19th), and he sits in the bottom five in 12 of the 20 categories, notably 42nd in intelligence, foreign policy accomplishments, and communication ability. Lonnstrom points out the unpopular former president has time on his side, explaining it takes four or five decades to know a president's true worth. "Right now there's a lot of emotion about Bush," he says. "Time passes and people become more objective, and so we'll see."
Franklin D. Roosevelt has held his title as top president since 1982 with the same four following to round out the consistent top five: Theodore Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, and Thomas Jefferson.
Joining Bush in the bottom five this year are Franklin Pierce, Warren G. Harding, James Buchanan, and Andrew Johnson, who is at the very bottom for the second year in a row.
The survey, which ranks presidents using 20 different factors, shows Jefferson was the most intelligent president, Richard Nixon was the worst at integrity and avoiding crucial mistakes, Lincoln had the best overall ability, and Washington was the best leader.
Here's the full list*:
1. Franklin D. Roosevelt
2. Theodore Roosevelt
3. Abraham Lincoln
4. George Washington
5. Thomas Jefferson
6. James Madison
7. James Monroe
8. Woodrow Wilson
9. Harry Truman
10. Dwight D. Eisenhower
11. John F. Kennedy
12. James K. Polk
13. William Clinton
14. Andrew Jackson
15. Barack Obama
16. Lyndon B. Johnson
17. John Adams
18. Ronald Reagan
19. John Quincy Adams
20. Grover Cleveland
21. William McKinley
22. George H. W. Bush
23. Martin Van Buren
24. William Howard Taft
25. Chester Arthur
26. Ulysses S. Grant
27. James Garfield
28. Gerald Ford
29. Calvin Coolidge
30. Richard Nixon
31. Rutherford B. Hayes
32. James Carter
33. Zachary Taylor
34. Benjamin Harrison
35. William Henry Harrison
36. Herbert Hoover
37. John Tyler
38. Millard Fillmore
39. George W. Bush
40. Franklin Pierce
41. Warren G. Harding
42. James Buchanan
43. Andrew Johnson
*There are only 43 ranking slots since Grover Cleveland was both the 22nd and 24th president; he left the White House only to return four years later for his second term.

Well at least there are no capitalization or spelling errors in these posts:ph34r:

we await your list , or do you concur with the reference you posted ?

I will defer to the erudite experts that make a living analyzing minutia and coming up with a list that is not seen thru the red Tea Party glasses that led to your list. I would certainly rate him much higher than three of the presidents on your list even at this point in his term.

communication ability (7th)

Talking and/or teleprompter reading

and ability to compromise (10th),

The Great Capitulator

imagination (6th)

Disconnection from reality

intelligence (8th)

Straight up-very intelligent man. Most people have had to get at least one real private sector, pay for performance job by this point in their life
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

Considering he was only a president for 32 days, that's pretty impressive to get ranked that low so fast. ;)

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Considering he was only a president for 32 days, that's pretty impressive to get ranked that low so fast. ;)

And that's what I've said for a while. I guess he had 2 things against him:

1) He was from the Whig Party

2) He was too stupid to wear a jacket on his inaguration, which was, at that time, the longest ever inauguration speech.

Would you rank him higher? Based on what? The only other alternative I could see would be to simply not include him in the rankings.

Apparently his greatest contribution as President was the fact that his death exposed some weaknesses in the Constitution having to do with succession.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Straight up-very intelligent man. Most people have had to get at least one real private sector, pay for performance job by this point in their life

I guess working for a law firm isn't a real job. Or a private university. And I suppose being an extremely succesful author isn't 'pay for performance' either.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

worst
carter
followed closely by
then
ford
nixon
bush 43
bush 41
kennedy
reagan

"in" ept
"in" competent
"in" experienced

Going from your website:

Well, because it never happened. The last year the total federal debt declined was in 1957.

It was actually 1969 as taxes were raised in 67-68 then chopped under Nixon, but the debt fell in 1969. But the debt fell in the 1950's for 3 years in Eisenhower's terms, taxes were at 91% top brkt then. Seems like since FDR that eevery time taxes were high, the debt fell' taxes low, the debt rose.

As such, when we were told the so-called surpluses from 1998 through 2001 went to pay down the debt, nothing could be further from the truth.

According to the Office of Management and Budget, we showed a combined unified surplus of $559 billion in that four year period. Yet the gross federal debt rose by $394 billion.

Yes, Clinton inherited an average of 250b/yr debt increase for the previous 12 years, the debt increase fell every year until his last year where it increased 33B. Of course if he had taken the budget surplus of 236B and paid the debt down, he could have actually been on record as having paid down the debt. Instead he thought he would leave it for for your hero and he did and that boob just gave it away.

So it depends how you look at it and it's really semantic, but overall Clinton did amazing things with the fiscal state of this nation. I'd like to see some supporting evidence otherwise, but I am talking to skipbelt, so I won't hold my breath.

As it's been almost ten years since Clinton left the White House, and Democrats along with their media minions love to talk about the so-called surpluses during that administration, why is it the former President has never been asked about this budgetary oddity?

There was a 236B surplus, no so-called about it. What budgetary oddity? Remember your hero saying, "The government has your money with this surplus, the government's job isn't to hold your money so I'm giving it back." Remember? That was the surplus.

So some support for your very unscientific reasoning.

What about the best president that never was:

Bill Clinton

Smart, savvy, articulate, but let the "little head" do most of his thinking.......

I have to admit, the longer he is out of office the more I like him, if Obama had a tenth of Bill's political skills he'd be in a much better place.

With that said, I think history will be kind to GWB, not kind at all to Obama.
IMHO

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

True dat; I'd say that Clinton let his little head impact his thinking (and his presidency) rather than letting it do his thinking.

But I disagree with your assessment of history vs. Bush and Obama -- I think it'll be the opposite. Hopefully we'll both live plenty of time from now to be able to pontificate again in 20 years :ph34r:

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Odd,
I don't think any of the presidents mentioned thus far qualify as the worst in our lifetime.
I was leaning towards Robert Mugabe, Jacob Zuma, some Asian leaders....

Forgive me for thinking outside the USA box on an international forum. I feel like a heretic now.
:o:P

Odd,
I don't think any of the presidents mentioned thus far qualify as the worst in our lifetime.
I was leaning towards Robert Mugabe, Jacob Zuma, some Asian leaders....

Forgive me for thinking outside the USA box on an international forum. I feel like a heretic now.
:o:P

Don't worry, you are.:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

i second , now back to topic........

Can we diverge for a second and talk about spell checkers and capitalization as well as some semblance of proper useage of the English language?

I love it when people complain about spelling and make spelling mistakes in their post.
--
Rob

It's bad enough that the "Cut n' Paste" nazi roams these forums, but to pull out the "spelling and grammar" nazi tactics is laughable. We are all human, we all make mistakes. I never see you complaining about Lucky's posts yet he is one of the worst offenders of "spelling and grammar" here. So someone starts a thread you do not like and your instant reaction is to attack their spelling and grammar? Give me a break.

He/she who lives the perfect life and who has never made a mistake, cast the first stone.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over