JohnRich

More Guns. Less Crime. Again.

The problem you're having is that you assumed I made such an argument. I didn't. Therefore, since the premise of your criticism is false, everything which follows is wrong.

No, the problem is you apparently lost the ability to read English shortly after titling this thread. Which is a shame, because this is something a grade schooler can understand.

You should have ended your post with "neener neener"
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

The problem you're having is that you assumed I made such an argument. I didn't. Therefore, since the premise of your criticism is false, everything which follows is wrong.

No, the problem is you apparently lost the ability to read English shortly after titling this thread. Which is a shame, because this is something a grade schooler can understand.

apparent to who(m) ?

in this thread, you posted evidence that proves "More Guns, More Crime."

Quote:
"Since 1991, when total violent crime peaked, it has decreased 43 percent to a 35-year low. The murder rate, less than half what it was in 1980, is now at a 45-year low. Throughout, the number of guns that Americans own has risen by about four million a year...
See attached chart.

It completely baffles me how you could look at this data and conclude that it proves "more guns equals more crime".

If you respond, please try and do so without insults.

So do you have any good numbers for Chicago now that handguns are legal here? From what they have been telling us the numbers are up across the board on violent crimes. Just last night there were 10 shootings over night on a cool Monday evening.

in this thread, you posted evidence that proves "More Guns, More Crime."

Quote:
"Since 1991, when total violent crime peaked, it has decreased 43 percent to a 35-year low. The murder rate, less than half what it was in 1980, is now at a 45-year low. Throughout, the number of guns that Americans own has risen by about four million a year...
See attached chart.

It completely baffles me how you could look at this data and conclude that it proves "more guns equals more crime".

If you respond, please try and do so without insults.

So do you have any good numbers for Chicago now that handguns are legal here? From what they have been telling us the numbers are up across the board on violent crimes. Just last night there were 10 shootings over night on a cool Monday evening.

Ah
legal does not mean accessable
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Ah

This is not the information I was asking for, nor was it a condition supplied in the original post.

Ok, it was not what you asked for but it is highly relavant
Abraham Lincoln

Ah

This is not the information I was asking for, nor was it a condition supplied in the original post.

Then it should have also been supplied by the OP, as should have all the additional information I asked for in this thread earlier. If my line of thinking is invalid then the entire point of this thread is invalid and it's propaganda instead of statistical data.

Ah

Then it should have also been supplied by the OP, as should have all the additional information I asked for in this thread earlier. If my line of thinking is invalid then the entire point of this thread is invalid and it's propaganda instead of statistical data.

Well it is nice you have an opinion
Abraham Lincoln

Ah

Wanting to develop and display relational data is fact and brings about better conclusions that are free of opinion. This is what I'm looking for; proving the correlation instead of making inflammatory statements or personal attacks.

Ah

Wanting to develop and display relational data is fact and brings about better conclusions that are free of opinion. This is what I'm looking for; proving the correlation instead of making inflammatory statements or personal attacks.

Hmm

I have not seen any of that in this thread
Abraham Lincoln

Hmm

Then look for the questions I asked. Simple A+B=C claims on a topic like this are typically poor conclusions. I also provided links to searchable murder history in two cities going back three years.

Hmm

Then look for the questions I asked. Simple A+B=C claims on a topic like this are typically poor conclusions. I also provided links to searchable murder history in two cities going back three years.

Whooosh[:/]
Abraham Lincoln

No, I just don't care about strawman discussions. I'm looking for facts and won't be drawn into a distractions away from the original topic.

[:/]
Abraham Lincoln

No, I just don't care about strawman discussions. I'm looking for facts and won't be drawn into a distractions away from the original topic.

Except for the strawman that Chicago shootings would magically cease due to the decision in McDonald that allows Chicagoans to have handguns in their homes, perhaps...or were you implying something different, upthread?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

It sounds like he's trying to get data, and find out if the current Chicago situation is being reported accurately by the locals.

Is getting data so bad? That's what making decisions is about, isn't it?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Except for the strawman that Chicago shootings would magically cease due to the decision in McDonald that allows Chicagoans to have handguns in their homes, perhaps...or were you implying something different, upthread?

Except with the data provided you could present the information in more than one way, including home based crimes. Heck, it could make the NRA happy to push for conceal laws if the data came out right. Data is data and it ALL needs to be collected.

Except with the data provided you could present the information in more than one way, including home based crimes. Heck, it could make the NRA happy to push for conceal laws if the data came out right. Data is data and it ALL needs to be collected.

Feel free to do just that, then. FBI UCR and the Dept. of Labor has at least some of the information you're demanding of an opinion piece, but you're going to have to datamine the finer granularity yourself.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Handgun ownership in Chicago has only been permissible now for several months, and there are so many obstacles to complying with the new rules, that probably very few people have been able to avail themselves of this new freedom. For example, they require that you prove shooting proficiency to be licensed, while at the same time banning all shooting ranges from the city. Nice, eh?

Chicago's new restrictions are being challenged again in court. Give this situation a few years, when law-abiding citizens with handguns start to become expected in Chicago, when criminals thus begin to fear victims who shoot back, and who knows what could happen.

Those same kind of horrific shooting sprees have been going on for many years, under Daley's complete handgun ban. So it's obvious that a complete ban, does not stop criminals. And given that, it only makes sense to allow honest citizens the means to defend themselves from the criminals who ignore the law.

Give this situation a few years, when law-abiding citizens with handguns start to become expected in Chicago, when criminals thus begin to fear victims who shoot back, and who knows what could happen.

Should docters and ailing mothers then become more fearful of getting shot?

Give this situation a few years, when law-abiding citizens with handguns start to become expected in Chicago, when criminals thus begin to fear victims who shoot back, and who knows what could happen.

Should docters and ailing mothers then become more fearful of getting shot?

No.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

so what I see you saying is that your point in asking, but not wanting context is to generate propaganda.
--
Rob

Hmm

Actually, that jet is flying over your head, if I understand his line of attack correctly.

He points out that only looking at the last data point (10 shot) is piss poor science. Which is the same point I have tried to make to John.

He points out that only looking at the last data point (10 shot) is piss poor science. Which is the same point I have tried to make to John.

You're still ignoring message #27: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3954047;#3954352

This is just more evidence that my detractors will only see what they want to see,
rather than what I actually say.

But I must congratulate you on making a post about me, without including a personal insult. That's better.

As I said before, data is data and in this era of information it should all be collected and displayed. The biggest problem I have with both sides of the gun debate is that PR-like firms have decided what information gets disseminated and after 50 years of that people believe it's the correct way to look at it. It's like in baseball where people believe that the W-L record of a pitcher or the BA of a player is the best way to measure a player. But after the introduction of sabremetrics those perceptions have been blown away by looking at the bigger picture and presenting all of the data and showing true trends. I believe the same thing could be done here.