futuredivot

Walking into Wal-Mart today

did i say all ?

You didn't say some. Without specifying, the implication is all (or at least that's most people's inference), or the overwhelming majority.

So -- when someone says "hispanics are illegal" or "asians are smarter" or "southerners are prejudiced" it uses those terms as determining characteristics of the population, rather than a characteristic of some members. And, in most cases, it's a characteristic of some members. I know stupid Asians. I know southerners who aren't prejudiced. I know legal hispanics. In fact, while I know more smart than stupid asians (mostly because I know more smart than stupid people), the majority of the folks in these groups I interact with don't fit those stereotypes.

OK, that was a long-ass post. You could infer from that that all liberals are wordy, or just that I'm a pedant :D

Wendy P.

Wendy, this newby is just another neo-con who drops one-liners and runs, don't put a whole lot on his posts. You won't see him empirically debate an issue; he's our forum cheerleader http://images.paraorkut.com/img/funnypics/images/g/gay_cheerleader-12791.jpg

Pot, meet Kettle.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Walmart isn't required (to the best of my knowledge) to accept any returns ever.

That's not exactly the case in the US under generally-accepted common law, and it explains one of the reasons why that WalMart felt the need to post that sign.

When a product is sold without a sales contract (such as the average retail purchase at a store), the product sold is usually deemed to be covered by an "implied warranty of merchantibility", which basically means it's warranted to not be defective, and if it turns out to be defenctive, it will be refunded, repaired or replaced.

However, the merchant can nullify this implied warranty prior to the sale by a clear expression that no such implied warranty exists; typical examples are signs or labels saying "As is", "All sales final", "No returns", etc.

That is precisely why this WalMart posted that "No returns" sign: With the sign, WalMart might not be required to refund the item even if it is defective; whereas without the sign, WalMart would be more likely to be on the hook for a defective product.

Walmart isn't required (to the best of my knowledge) to accept any returns ever.

That's not exactly the case in the US under generally-accepted common law, and it explains one of the reasons why that WalMart felt the need to post that sign.

When a product is sold without a sales contract (such as the average retail purchase at a store), the product sold is usually deemed to be covered by an "implied warranty of merchantibility", which basically means it's warranted to not be defective, and if it turns out to be defenctive, it will be refunded, repaired or replaced.

However, the merchant can nullify this implied warranty prior to the sale by a clear expression that no such implied warranty exists; typical examples are signs or labels saying "As is", "All sales final", "No returns", etc.

That is precisely why this WalMart posted that "No returns" sign: With the sign, WalMart might not be required to refund the item even if it is defective; whereas without the sign, WalMart would be more likely to be on the hook for a defective product.

That being said, I'm sure if someone brought back an item on the no returns list that clearly wasn't used or was in fact defective with no use, they would still take it back.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

That being said, I'm sure if someone brought back an item on the no returns list that clearly wasn't used or was in fact defective with no use, they would still take it back.

I presume they probably would, too; but that's strictly a business decision.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
Don't worry, folks -- I'm still a political liberal. I'd just rather we had plans for the money that made sense, rather than first planning on getting more money, then taxing, then deciding what to do with the windfall.

Oh -- and I'm all for tolerance of other religions and lifestyles, even if I think they're silly.

Wendy P.

That last part seems a bit peculiar to me, and maybe even a little disconserting.

I was just gonna let it go, but it's still buggin' me a tinch.

First, it seems to come out of nowhere...off topic...but after trying to figure it out, the only thing I could come up with is that most people here view you as being tolerant of religious beliefs, so you were just using that statement as an analogy to explain your political persona.

Second, that statement seems to conflict with what tolerance actually is.

Saying that religious beliefs are silly doesn't really seem like a fair, objective, and permissive attitude.

To me, tolerance seems more like a true or honest understanding of ones beliefs yet with the ability to explain why you feel those beliefs aren't obligatory.

If those qualities aren't met, it ends up sounding more like "those beliefs annoy the heck out of me but I'm gonna put up with them because I feel like I have to."

Kinda like, "I'm all for racial equality even though I think they are an inferior race."

Ultimately, I feel that tolerance is for the benefit of the other person or group and when we make statements like these that benifit is lost and becomes a wash.

Now I don't really have a problem with people saying religious beliefs are silly...It just bugs me when it's used it the same sentence with tolerance.

Best Regards,

Corey.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Tolerance is not being judgmental even when the views are not the same as your own.

You are looking for an absolute that does not exist.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Tolerance is not being judgmental even when the views are not the same as your own.

Tolerance:
a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.

Silly:
weak-minded or lacking good sense; stupid or foolish.

"I have a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from my own and I'm free from bigotry, even though I think they are weak-minded, lacking good sense, stupid and foolish."

Do you see the conflict there?

Silly:

Prior to the semicolon describes religion to the T, the words after are simply subjective.

Tolerance:
a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.

Silly:

"I have a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from my own and I'm free from bigotry, even though I think they are weak-minded, lacking good sense, stupid and foolish."

A person can be fair minded and objective while still holding a personl opinion.

Judges do it all the time.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Silly:

Prior to the semicolon describes religion to the T, the words after are simply subjective.

No it doesn't, but one can hold that opinion...but how can you then say you have tolerance, while holding true to the definition?

Silly:

No it doesn't, but one can hold that opinion...but how can you then say you have tolerance, while holding true to the definition?

Do you believe in a god or gods and have faith they exist?
Can you scientifically prove any god exists?

I rest my case.

Feel free to believe what you want, just don't expect others to say it's good sense.

Feel free to believe what you want, just don't expect others to say it's good sense.

Hello, I don't.

You are obviously missing the point because you don't wanna answer the question.

Tolerance:

Silly:

No.

There are many religious beliefs that, if you look fairly and objectively at them, are very silly.

Scientology - we're afflicted by the souls of a race exterminated by an ancient galactic warlord (and all psychiatrists are evil). Silly.

Mormonism - The Angel Moroni (seriously, an angel called moron?) showed Joseph Smith some golden plates (and they really existed even though no one was allowed to see them) and revealed the existence ancient North American Jewish civilisations. Really silly.

Islam - Mohammed met an angel (again) who showed him a bunch of instructions that only he was allowed to see (again)... and then he visited heaven on a flying horse. Really, really silly.

Biblical literalists - The stuff in the Old Testament actually happened. The Old Testament. Actually happened. Much too silly

And so on and so forth.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Hello, I don't.

You are obviously missing the point because you don't wanna answer the question.

Which question? This?

but how can you then say you have tolerance, while holding true to the definition?

Tolerance is not agreeing or pacifying, it's just that, tolerating.
Additionally a logical point of view always trumps an illogical one such as reiigion so the tolerance burden is more on those using logic.

Coreece

Turtle

A person can be fair minded and objective while still holding a personl opinion.

Turtle pretty much nailed it. To me, the behavior is important, not necessarily the thoughts behind it. Because the behavior will drive the thoughts of the people around and after.

50 years ago it was acceptable to discriminate grossly against blacks in much of the US. Many of those people are still alive now, and their opinions haven't changed. But the behavior is no longer legal, and in the long run I think it's driving the younger generation's attitudes. It's normal now to see mixed-race couples, and even groups and churches more and more. People are monkey-see-monkey-do types, so the more people they see modeling tolerant behavior, the more likely they are to follow it.

That was a good question though, and I'm still wondering to myself if I'm just rationalizing.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Judges do it all the time.

Fine...so a judge agrees in giving equal rights to black people because he thinks he has to, or that he should, or that it is the right thing to do, but in his personal opinion he still thinks that they are stupid porch monkey niggers...

Thanks...that's really gonna help our personal relationship if I'm black.

No.

There are many religious beliefs that, if you look fairly and objectively at them, are very silly.

Scientology - we're afflicted by the souls of a race exterminated by an ancient galactic warlord (and all psychiatrists are evil). Silly.

Mormonism - The Angel Moroni (seriously, an angel called moron?) showed Joseph Smith some golden plates (and they really existed even though no one was allowed to see them) and revealed the existence ancient North American Jewish civilisations. Really silly.

Islam - Mohammed met an angel (again) who showed him a bunch of instructions that only he was allowed to see (again)... and then he visited heaven on a flying horse. Really, really silly.

Biblical literalists - The stuff in the Old Testament actually happened. The Old Testament. Actually happened. Much too silly

And so on and so forth.

Great, so you have no tolerance for this crap...I respect that....At least you're honest. Tolerance is just a term people use to feel better about themselves and make them look more appealing to the general public...

Ok, so it basically means that "those beliefs annoy the heck out of me but I'm gonna put up with them because I feel like I have to."

I can accept that.

Additionally a logical point of view always trumps an illogical

Like the logical view that things just pop out of thin air, or lack thereof...sounds more like hocus pocus to me.

Ok, so it basically means that "those beliefs annoy the heck out of me but I'm gonna put up with them because I feel like I have to."

I can accept that.

Like the logical view that things just pop out of thin air, or lack thereof...sounds more like hocus pocus to me.

It's not even putting up with them or not even not having a discussion or argument with them, it's more not using laws or violence to restrict them more than any other group to ensure equal treatment.

Ex: While I would not support a tax on Islamic churches, I would support one for all religious institutions.

Yeah, way more logical than the entire earth being made in 7 days and people being the first inhabitants... ;)

I can accept that.

tolerance , a one way street
where whatever that conventional wisdom finds politically correct gets shoved down the throats of those deemed intolerant
the intolerable should never be tolerated
especially by someone urinating down your leg
while telling you it's raining .
too much?
you tolerant out there better be tolerating this
too much yet ?
i make a special exemption for wendy and reserve the right to exempt !

This thread was based on a thread started by a regular poster here who openly told everyone here that he went out of town and intentionally bought camping gear (from Walmart) to use for a week end while all along fully intending to return it.

Got it. I'm not around here enough..

Yeah, way more logical than the entire earth being made in 7 days and people being the first inhabitants... ;)

If you're gonna slam religion, at least get your mythology straight.

The people were created last.

And let us not forget that it was only six days, God kicked back on the 7th because he could