wayneflorida

Yeah Marines

:)
CNN
"U.S. Marines boarded and seized control Thursday of a German-owned vessel that pirates had captured the day before off the coast of Somalia, the U.S. Fifth Fleet said."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/09/09/us.somalia.pirates/index.html?hpt=T1

I hope they get what they deserve!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

CNN
"U.S. Marines boarded and seized control Thursday of a German-owned vessel that pirates had captured the day before off the coast of Somalia, the U.S. Fifth Fleet said."

Not likely. They appear to still be alive.

CNN

I did not click on this link as I did read it elswhere but, the account I read said all pirates were in custody and no shots were fired.

But maybe you were refering to the up coming trial?:P
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

CNN

I liked what the Russians did. They gave the pirates
a stern scolding and released them. ;)

It must work because we haven't heard from them since.
:ph34r:

CNN

Why are the US Marines protecting German owned vessels?

People bitch, whine and moan about NATO and the UN, why is this different?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

CNN

. . . Quade just wants to be controversial.

Lemme guess - if the marines were there but did nothing, you would have said something like, "Theye were there, they could have done their job, why wait for NATO and the UN to do anything."

You just want to argue for the sake of arguing
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

CNN

Lemme guess - if the marines were there but did nothing, you would have said something like, "Theye were there, they could have done their job, why wait for NATO and the UN to do anything."

Nope. I don't like being the world's policeman. The German government has it's own military force. Why does the US have to be involved in every petty skirmish on the planet?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Nope. I don't like being the world's policeman. The German government has it's own military force. Why does the US have to be involved in every petty skirmish on the planet?

I don't think that is quite true. US wasn't involved in the Sri Lankan civil war...

(oh god, please tell me you weren't involved in that one too!!) :)

CNN

Well then - by all means - let us bring the troops home. all of them.

Hang them from the yardarm!!

(do ships still have those things?)

Mine does (spreaders at least). I say keelhaul them.

Alas with modern ablative and other types of anti fouling paints keel hauling has lost most of its glamour on modern western vessels.

It only makes sense if you use vessels from third world shitholes where you have boats with those 3"+ barnacles

CNN

I seem to recall our military being better than the German military... Something about a big war or two?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I don't like being the world's policeman. The German government has it's own military force. Why does the US have to be involved in every petty skirmish on the planet?

I don't like the US being the world's policeman, or police force, either. But I'm not an isolationist, either, and I am willing to contribute our share of cops to a joint police force to which may other nations contribute for their mutual security and well-being; even more so in international waters.

The article notes: "Combined Task Force 151 is one of three task forces operated by the 25-nation Combined Maritime Forces. The task force was established in January 2009 to combat piracy after a dramatic increase in attacks in the region." It also mentions that the first responder on the scene was a Turkish warship.

Spending trillions of dollars and thousands of Allied lives to bring down Saddam Hussein because neo-cons and chickenhawks in government, richly rewarded by the military-industrial complex, successfully played off hapless G. W. Bush's gullibility and Oedipus-complex insecurities and resulting need to show-up his father in Iraq? With the result being that, even after the end of the Cold War, we STILL can't afford a comprehensive national health service like the rest of the industrialized world has? No, I don't like that at all.

Being part of an international patrol of the chronically pirate-infested waters off Somalia for everyone's mutual benefit? Yeah, I'm OK with that.

Being part of an international patrol of the chronically pirate-infested waters off Somalia for everyone's mutual benefit? Yeah, I'm OK with that.

A German naval vessel helped avert another hijacking attempt by Somali pirates in the Gulf of Aden. Meanwhile, France and the US are drafting a United Nations resolution to put a stop to the piracy.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,3286228,00.html

The US and the UN. :o

Rushmc, you'll need some strong heart pills :ph34r::ph34r:

dudeist skydiver # 3105

A German naval vessel helped avert another hijacking attempt by Somali pirates in the Gulf of Aden. Meanwhile, France and the US are drafting a United Nations resolution to put a stop to the piracy.

THAT is great!

But it mentions the French - do they make boats that go that fast in reverse?

THAT is great!

Dear, that were the Italians - 5 reverse gears per Panzer :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

dudeist skydiver # 3105

You must have missed this part of the article...

Twenty-four U.S. Marines from the force, which was aboard the USS Dubuque and operating under the multinational anti-piracy combined task force, boarded the M/V Magellan Star at about 5 a.m. local time, the Fifth Fleet said.

They mount the bridge on backwards. Slow to go forward, fast as hell in reverse!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message