Kennedy

Man Arrested for Defending His Home

Long Island Man Arrested For Defending Home With AK-47

UNIONDALE, N.Y. (CBS 2) — He was arrested for protecting his property and family.

But it’s how the Long Island man did it that police say crossed the line.

He got an AK-47 assault rifle, pulled the trigger and he ended up in jail, reports CBS 2’s Pablo Guzman.

George Grier said he had to use his rifle on Sunday night to stop what he thought was going to be an invasion of his Uniondale home by a gang he thought might have been the vicious “MS-13.” He said the whole deal happened as he was about to drive his cousin home.

“I went around and went into the house, ran upstairs and told my wife to call the police. I get the gun and I go outside and I come into the doorway and now, by this time, they are in the driveway, back here near the house. I tell them, you know, ‘Can you please leave?’ Grier said.

Grier said the five men dared him to use the gun; and that their shouts brought another larger group of gang members in front of his house.

“He starts threatening my family, my life. ‘Oh you’re dead. I’m gonna kill your family and your babies. You’re dead.’ So when he says that, 20 others guys come rushing around the corner. And so I fired four warning shots into the grass,” Grier said.

Grier was later arrested. John Lewis is Grier’s attorney.

“What he’s initially charged with – A D felony reckless endangerment — requires a depraved indifference to human life, creating a risk that someone’s going to die. Shooting into a lawn doesn’t create a risk of anybody dying,” Lewis said.

Grier said he knew Nassau County Police employ the hi-tech “ShotSpotter” technology in his area and that the shooting would bring police in minutes. Cops told Guzman he was very cooperative.

Grier also said he was afraid the gang outside his house was the dreaded MS-13. And Nassau County Police Lt. Andrew Mulraine, head of the gang unit, said MS-13 has 2,000 members in the county.

“They’re probably the most organized. They almost have a military hierarchy within the gang, so they are the most organized gang we encounter on a daily basis,” Mulraine said.

You may think a person has the right to defend their home. But the law says you can only use physical force to deter physical force. Grier said he never saw anyone pull out a gun, so a court would have to decide on firing the gun.

Police determined Grier had the gun legally. He has no criminal record. And so he was not charged for the weapon.

That ShotSpotter technology pinpoints where a gun has been fired within 35 feet. Police said it also detected two other shootings in nearby Roosevelt that night

I'm not saying the home owner is a saint, but we have ne evidence that he isn't. I'd wonder why they targeted his house, but until somebody shows me illegal guns drugs or money, this man is the victim of a felony, not is perpetrator.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

That said, it's difficult to know just hearing one side of the story what initially caused him to think his life was in danger enough to brandish the weapon in the first place.

From the cops point of view, they can only react to what is evident when they arrive. Shots were fired, he was holding the gun. To them, it's entirely possible Grier just didn't like the looks of some folks in his neighborhood and started the whole thing.

Really, if you think about it, the safest thing to do at that point is separate the parties involved and it's way easier to take the one guy in rather than the "gang" that might be standing around.

The cops may have even saved the guy's life.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

That said, it's difficult to know just hearing one side of the story what initially caused him to think his life was in danger enough to brandish the weapon in the first place.

From the cops point of view, they can only react to what is evident when they arrive. Shots were fired, he was holding the gun.

That's why officers need to listen to all available witness statements. Since the pack of dirtbags fled the scene, and no one else is saying he was wrong, where does the assumption of guilt come from?

To them, it's entirely possible Grier just didn't like the looks of some folks in his neighborhood and started the whole thing.

Possible doesn't equal probable cause. If no one alleges that's what happened, what makes it reasonable to think it did?

Really, if you think about it, the safest thing to do at that point is separate the parties involved and it's way easier to take the one guy in rather than the "gang" that might be standing around.

If the gang were still there when officers arrive, bodies would've left the scene feet first. I had a friend in NY check a copy of the arrest warrant. There were no victims listed. I don't know if the report lists any witnesses, but the warrant doesn't.

The cops may have even saved the guy's life.

Now you're REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY stretching it.

My best guess, since no one alleged any wrong-doing on the part of the victim, Mr Grier, is that the thugs showed up to rob him of his rifle. There's no history of illegal guns drugs or money involving him or his house, so my guess is the dirtbags heard he had an AK and wanted it for themselves. Of course, without a picture of the rifle or a make adn modeldescription, we don't know if it's an Ak, or just another "scary looking" rifle that ignorant media folk think is an assault weapon.

Remember, reporters can't tell an AK from an SKS from a Sturmgewehr 44. Also, for those not in the know, just about every "AK47" in the USA is actually an AK 74 or its clone/knockoff.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Once again-I love South Carolina-Warning shot it in my ass

How is Mr. Warning these days, he was your algebra teacher wasn't he?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Castle laws-you don't have to be in my home, have me cornered, or in some cases even armed. If a bunch scuzz buckets are on my property and I perceive them as a threat, the sight of the first few crumpling to the ground will be the only warning the rest get. Of course, that freedom of action is paired with a responsibility to use "APPROPRIATE" levels of response. But...If I decide you needed to be shot, it's going to take a lot of evidence to the contrary before anyone second guesses me about it.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

There are too many open ends to this story to make a judgement. We don't know... this could have been a drug deal gone bad. Why, would the MS-13 single him out? The guy may have 'dissed' one of the gang members at an earlier time. We have no idea what 'really' caused the incident. The reporter gives just enough to get folks riled-up and that's about all. If, MS-13 has anything to do with it, they'll handle it without the police, anyhow.

Chuck

He went back outside with the gun.

He could have just waited inside. If they had forced their way in it would have been a lot more justifiable from a self-defense standpoint.

25 guys, armed or unarmed, present enough of a threat to justify use of deadly force, but by choosing to go back outside after grabbing the gun, he was escalating the situation.

And please explain how most of the AKs in the US are actually AK-74s.
The '74 is the small caliber (5.45x39).

Most AKs are 7.62. That makes them AK-47s or AKMs.

And if you want to be really specific, very few are even really AKs (of either type) They are Chinese (Type 56)or Romanian (SAR-1, the '47 SAR-2, the '74 or SAR-3, the '74 in .223)or some other country with a different designation.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

If feeling threatened, and being surrounded by possible gang members, what is going to get the police there quicker; a phonecall where you are placed on hold, and have to explain to the operator what the problem is, or getting the attention of the police by means of gunfire pinpoint thing? I think his firing the gun into the grass would get the police there quicker than a phonecall, as well as deter the gang because they know the police will be there soon as well.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

I bet the cops apologized to him all the way too jail.

Once he got back in the house he should have grabbed his rifle and called the police...but stayed inside. If they entered his home, be would have every right to shoot them.

By going back outside HE PUT HIMSELF back In danger and escalated the situation at the same time by having the rifle. Firing into the ground is just as bad (in the eyes of the law) as firing into the air. He showed restraint and bad judgement at the same time.
Dom

Once he got back in the house he should have grabbed his rifle and called the police...but stayed inside. If they entered his home, be would have every right to shoot them.

By going back outside HE PUT HIMSELF back In danger and escalated the situation at the same time by having the rifle. Firing into the ground is just as bad (in the eyes of the law) as firing into the air. He showed restraint and bad judgement at the same time.

Agreed.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

He went back outside with the gun.

He could have just waited inside. If they had forced their way in it would have been a lot more justifiable from a self-defense standpoint.

25 guys, armed or unarmed, present enough of a threat to justify use of deadly force, but by choosing to go back outside after grabbing the gun, he was escalating the situation.

I would agree with this. He would have been in the clear defending himself, his wife and home from inside. Have a line on to 911 and holding the gun at the front door...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Agreed.

+1

Discharge of a firearm in most municipalities I have ever lived in or near will get the local police attention in a not so good way.
It usually a bad idea... just stay in the house.... and ventilate any intruders.