Bolas

What about the Scientologists

No, seriously, what about them.
:S:S:S:S

They can do what they want, but honestly, there's a reason that their religion reads like a bad science fiction novel.

:D:D:D:D

Why?:|

A whuffo friend of mine wanted to see it so a bunch of us went. I didn't know anything about the movie except what I saw in the ads on TV.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

They can do what they want, but honestly, there's a reason that their religion reads like a bad science fiction novel.

What religion doesn't?

Mine.

Is this the one where the earth rides on the back of a turtle? :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

:D:D:D:D

So did I. Sometimes, if you know there's going to be a train wreck, you intentionally stand and watch it.

and pay $10 to do it! ;)
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

What religion doesn't?

Mine.

Is this the one where the earth rides on the back of a turtle? :P

What do you mean "Rides"?:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I dunno, The ones I met in Clearwater, Fl are very smart...

Not sure if that is more of an oxymron; or just further proof that intelligent people sometimes hold really ignorant beliefs.

But yeah, if being very good at brainwashing gullible people is the definition of smart - they are fucking geniuses - along with everybody else that peddles the pablum known as organized religion.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

But they're so much fun.

They're also pretty rich too. The last time the church reported it's assets and income was 1993, back then they stated close to $400M in assets and over $300m in income in investments, book sales and counseling fees. This is not including the land value and donations made from members.

They're also pretty rich too.

Depends on which ones you're talking about. The leadership is swimming in money; that was the purpose of creating the "religion" to begin with. There's a great quote by Hubbard from years before Scientology existed that goes something like; "Wanna know how to make a ton of money? Start a religion."

That said, the reason the leadership is swimming in money is it's a very expensive religion for the people that belong to it. Much of being "audited" comes with a high cost and is simply brainwashing to get people to fork over more money.

From what I've been able to ferret out, a lot of the employees are basically working for "free" just to continue. That's quite the cost savings for the "church."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver