quade

Last combat convoy has left Iraq

In another thread somebody sarcastically asked what Obama has done during his term so far.

Well, there is this;

Last U.S. combat convoy has left Iraq

Mosul, Iraq (CNN) -- The last U.S. brigade combat team has left Iraq, leaving about 56,000 U.S. troops in the country, according to the U.S. military.
The troops in the 4th Stryker Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division crossed the border into Kuwait from Iraq more than seven years after U.S. combat forces entered, though their departure does not signify the end of all U.S. combat forces in the country.

Source;
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/08/18/iraq.combat.convoy/index.html

Ok, sure, troops are still going to be there for quite some time, but at least the US is scaling back from this futile and unnecessary adventure started by the previous administration.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Now _that's_ good news. Kudos to Obama for following through on one of his most important goals.

Yep, "his" goal
Another one he can be proud of....
gitmo
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>don't interrupt the mutual chin wiping with reality.

Don't worry; by tomorrow there will be some bad economic news or something that the GOP can be happy about.

It's not that bad news makes us happy, it is that it proves us right again.

Go back to your chin wiping now.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>don't interrupt the mutual chin wiping with reality.

Don't worry; by tomorrow there will be some bad economic news or something that the GOP can be happy about.

If Iraq falls apart by year end, I'll again ask you (and others) why we didn't leave 6 years ago.

Now _that's_ good news. Kudos to Obama for following through on one of his most important goals.

Implementing the withdrawal that was specified under the Status of Forces Agreement that Bush signed with Iraq in 2008?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Implementing the withdrawal that was specified under the Status of Forces Agreement that Bush signed with Iraq in 2008?

And Biden says it is Obamas victory too!!:)
But they are so busy wiping thier chins is it hard to see through their own spittle. Great open honest admin we have here.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

If I remember correctly, Bush wanted the last of the combat troops out this year and most of the troops out by next year with a small contingency left behind to continue to train Iraqi forces.. Obama has done a good job of following the Bush plan.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

If Iraq falls apart by year end...

...which it will, or at least will once all the rest of the US troops are gone...

...I'll again ask you (and others) why we didn't leave 6 years ago.

Here's a hint: much the same reason we didn't leave Vietnam 6 years earlier than we did. (After which the S. Vietnamese govt & military promptly fell apart.) Here's another hint: look up the phrase "peace with honor", juxtaposed with "Vietnam".

This is the value of the study of history, and why (as the saying goes) its lessons are ignored at one's own peril: because it helps one recognize the present for what it actually is, and to predict the future for what it very probably will be.

...I'll again ask you (and others) why we didn't leave 6 years ago.

Here's a hint: much the same reason we didn't leave Vietnam 6 years earlier than we did. (After which the S. Vietnamese govt & military promptly fell apart.) Here's another hint: look up the phrase "peace with honor", juxtaposed with "Vietnam".

This is the value of the study of history, and why (as the saying goes) its lessons are ignored at one's own peril:

Vietnam fails as an example here, Andy.

The Bush Administration did promote this nation building concept and once started, had too much pride to let it go.

But...a significant portion of the Left insisted that the US had an obligation to restore Iraq to a stable, peaceful government. Bill said it, my mom said it, many promoted this viewpoint. It had nothing to do with 'peace with honor.' For some it was a sense of guilt for what we (rather than Saddam, who I would blame) did to the country. For at least some, I think it was about extending a war that was becoming increasingly unpopular so the the Republican party would be hurt. Needless to say, I respect the first reasoning a lot more than the second. But I think we achieved our true policy goals in whole when Saddam was captured. Could have saved thousands of lives, and in the ballpark of a trillion dollars.

Pelosi could have forced this withdrawal 3 years ago. The Democrats could have fillibustered even earlier. Or they could have fought the initial decisions in 2002-03. Instead, we see a lot of having cake and eating it too.

Anytime a Democrat (or anyone for that matter) suggested that Congress pull the plug they were swiftly accused of abandoning the trrops, being "with" the terrorists, hating America, etc.

I can't believe you actually think that the Iraq war has lasted as long as it has because of the blue side of the aisle.

- Dan G

In another thread somebody sarcastically asked what Obama has done during his term so far.

Well, there is this;

Last U.S. combat convoy has left Iraq

Mosul, Iraq (CNN) -- The last U.S. brigade combat team has left Iraq, leaving about 56,000 U.S. troops in the country, according to the U.S. military.
The troops in the 4th Stryker Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division crossed the border into Kuwait from Iraq more than seven years after U.S. combat forces entered, though their departure does not signify the end of all U.S. combat forces in the country.

Source;
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/08/18/iraq.combat.convoy/index.html

Ok, sure, troops are still going to be there for quite some time, but at least the US is scaling back from this futile and unnecessary adventure started by the previous administration.

OK, I just got to say it, everybody is thinking it, well at least I am. Is Obama a Muslim?:S

>Is Obama a Muslim?

Yes, and he's from Kenya! He's also a communist, a terrorist, a fascist and a foreign beer drinker! (He drank Bud Light at that 'beer summit' he had, which of course is now a foreign-owned beer.)

and he wasn't accused of belong to a radical church with his pastor Rev Wright during his election campaign.
I can't believe the sheep from the right, first they bash him for being the wrong kind of christian and now they (20%) believe he is a muslim.

OK, I just got to say it, everybody is thinking it, well at least I am. Is Obama a Muslim?:S

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/nov05election/detail?entry_id=70452

the story of the day: "A new poll released today by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life finds that 18 percent of American adults believe that their president is an adherent of the Muslim faith — up from 11 percent last year."

Repeating lies over and over again really does work, esp for those who want to believe them.

Anytime a Democrat (or anyone for that matter) suggested that Congress pull the plug they were swiftly accused of abandoning the trrops, being "with" the terrorists, hating America, etc.

I can't believe you actually think that the Iraq war has lasted as long as it has because of the blue side of the aisle.

Their political incompetence certainly didn't end it, did it? Bush vetoes their motion, and they back down. Contrast that with how the GOP has managed to stifle action even with a minority of votes. Pelosi gave up on ending the fight and instead worked to capitalize on it.

Doesn't detract from the fact that Democrats largely supported the war and many of those who rejected the reasons for the war still insisted we fix the mess.

Dame, did I hit a Nerve? I was only asking a simple question...but come to think of it, you claiming he is a communist well that seems to be a possibility:Pheheheh...

Deep breath guys, deep cleansing breath....in and out, in and out.:P

Just to throw one final thing out there, A Christian i.e. (Christ Follower) he is not, or at least it does not appear so.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/nov05election/detail?entry_id=70452

the story of the day: "A new poll released today by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life finds that 18 percent of American adults believe that their president is an adherent of the Muslim faith — up from 11 percent last year."

Repeating lies over and over again really does work, esp for those who want to believe them.

It works REALLLLY well with those with 2 digit IQ's in the red states.

It works REALLLLY well with those with 2 digit IQ's in the red states.

The breakdown by party shows that of declared Republicans, more believe he is muslum than christian.

Fox can probably claim credit for this, at least up until some other profit minded media station decides to horn in on their viewership.