billeisele

Scout Jamboree

45,000 Boy Scouts gathered in VA for 10 days to celebrate the 100th year of Scouting, Obama doesn't have time to visit, only 2 presidents have passed on the invite, the other was Clinton

live arena show on now, Mike Rowe (an Eagle Scout) of Dirty Jobs gave a great talk

http://www.ustream.tv/shininglight
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

45,000 Boy Scouts gathered in VA for 10 days to celebrate the 100th year of Scouting, Obama doesn't have time to visit, only 2 presidents have passed on the invite, the other was Clinton

No matter what decision he would have made about going, people would have bitched about it.

If he had gone, people would have claimed he was trying to indoctrinate a new Hitler youth or that he was in favor of the Boy Scout stance on inclusion/exclusion of homosexuals or he didn't know how to hold a knife properly or some other BS.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Yeah, I saw this on the RW viral blogosphere, and wondered when someone on here would post it, absent full context.

Congratulations, you win a cookie.

Even the semi-snide Fox "News" article, if your read down far enough, reveals that this is a childish tack:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/07/27/obama-missing-historic-boy-scout-jamboree-fundraisers-view-taping/

Boy Scouts of America spokesman Deron Smith said the organization knew Obama's invitation would hinge on his schedule and found out two months ago that he would not be able to attend.

"It just depends on his schedule," he said, adding that "there's always a spot" available for the president during the Jamboree. Obama also serves as honorary president of the Boy Scouts of America.

The White House said Tuesday that the fundraisers, not the TV appearance, prevented the president from attending.

"We were always going to be out of town that day," Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer told FoxNews.com in an e-mail. "It was never canceled."

The Boy Scouts released a statement acknowledging that Obama has hosted Boy Scouts groups in the Oval Office twice since taking office.

"We thank the president for his effort to recognize scouting and look forward to working with his administration as we work toward accomplishing our mission of preparing young people to become exceptional adults," the group said.

The Jamboree is held once every four years. This year's festivities mark the organization's 100-year anniversary -- scouts are scheduled to visit Washington, D.C., and other regional attractions in connection with the celebration.

Every president is typically invited, though not all are able to attend. Obama's three predecessors each made it to one Jamboree in person. President George W. Bush spoke in 2005, President Bill Clinton in 1997 and President George H.W. Bush in 1989.

I imagine that when G.W. Bush "failed" to go to the Jamboree in 2001, people were just outraged.

only 2 presidents have passed on the invite, the other was Clinton

Wrong. Clinton went in 1997. Presidents Nixon, Reagan, Carter and Ford did not speak at a Jamboree.

All this demonizing of Obama as being against Mom and Apple Pie is just childish horseshit. You want to be part of that, knock yourself out. That aside, try doing do your research.

What is it with all this 'attendance' nonsense lately?

Not just that what is being alledged is completely irrelevant to the running of the country, but that the allegations (only President to ever miss XYZ) are so easily shown to be barefaced lies. So, so strange that people get off on propagating this stuff:S

Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Maybe Obama could not make it to this Jamboree because he was busy with his daily gig of parting the Red Sea (with matinees on Tuesdays and Wednesdays). Or did the messiah give up on that gig when people found out he was actually doing it from a Hollywood studio? Got to love the Hollywood President. But at least Bill Clinton knows he is the top dog with the secret service today at Princess Chelsea's wedding as all the Hollywood elites seem to have gotten their invites, all except for the messiah.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

If he had gone, people would have claimed he was trying to indoctrinate a new Hitler youth or that he was in favor of the Boy Scout stance on inclusion/exclusion of homosexuals or he didn't know how to hold a knife properly or some other BS.

don't know about our CinC, but I've noticed that not many people carry pocket knives anymore. I'm amazed at how many people are surprised (some bordering on shocked) by the fact that I routinely carry two.

The indoor entertainment generations have lost touch with outdoor skills and don't realize the different challenges that await. (and we wonder why we have an obesity problem)
--
Rob

don't know about our CinC, but I've noticed that not many people carry pocket knives anymore. I'm amazed at how many people are surprised (some bordering on shocked) by the fact that I routinely carry two.

From the time I earned my Totin' Chip until 9/11 I carried one with me pretty much all the time either in my pocket or in my brief case.

Since 9/11 I haven't carried one hardly at all because I hate having to explain it or have it show up at an in opportune time during a security check.

The thing is though . . . I hardly ever really used it even when I did carry it. The thing I probably used the most was the screwdriver on it. The blade? Almost never.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I understand that point of view. My explanation is "I think that a gentleman should carry a pocket knife". But if you don't use it, and you find it a bother with security, then don't carry it.

I know when I'm going through security checks, and it's never been a problem. I typically use one of the knives I carry at least once a day. And when I travel, I miss having one until I pick up my checked bag, when they go right back in my pocket.

Only time I was ever questioned was visiting the USS Constitution. They had "no guns" signs up, but the folks running the security checkpoint looked at my knives and handed them back to me. I suppose that the tour is given by active duty marines should mean those pocket knives don't mean much in the way of a threat.
--
Rob

:o

A(nother) lie from the right wing:o

Say it ain't so.

I am fascinated by how you seem to distinguish between the prevarication and mendacity originating from the "right" and the "left." Scrutinize though I might, I can't spot any significant difference.

Regardless of political persuasion, the scum rises to the top.

BSBD,

Winsor

Say it ain't so.

I am fascinated by how you seem to distinguish between the prevarication and mendacity originating from the "right" and the "left." Scrutinize though I might, I can't spot any significant difference.

BSBD,

Winsor

Volume, Winsor. Volume. If I count the viral emails I get from right wing liars it outnumbers those from the left by at least 10:1

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Say it ain't so.

BSBD,

Winsor

Volume, Winsor. Volume. If I count the viral emails I get from right wing liars it outnumbers those from the left by at least 10:1

I am a lot more concerned with termites than barking dogs, when all is said and done. Insidious dishonesty is more of a threat than is the in-your-face nonsense that receives all the attention.

The wholesale embrace of intellectual mediocrity by the left makes up a lot of ground when maintaining parity with the right. Face it, they both suck out loud.

It is like trying to deterimine whether feline or canine feces are more odious - at the end of the day, the net effect of either one winding up in the soup is identical.

BSBD,

Winsor

I've found the amount of that crap I receive varies by the opposite of the party of the sitting president, and spikes around election times.
--
Rob

I've found the amount of that crap I receive varies by the opposite of the party of the sitting president, and spikes around election times.

If you take a look at the Snopes lists for Obama, GWB, McCain and Palin, you find the lies about Obama outnumber the others combined, and this was the case prior to the 2008 election as was pointed out at the time.

Politifact and Factcheck are also good sources to check the lie count.

Say it ain't so.

BSBD,

Winsor

I am a lot more concerned with termites than barking dogs, when all is said and done. Insidious dishonesty is more of a threat than is the in-your-face nonsense that receives all the attention.

The wholesale embrace of intellectual mediocrity by the left makes up a lot of ground when maintaining parity with the right. Face it, they both suck out loud.

It is like trying to deterimine whether feline or canine feces are more odious - at the end of the day, the net effect of either one winding up in the soup is identical.

BSBD,

Winsor

Don't confuse intrinsic and extrinsic state variables.

One Hundred years of Boy Scouts. DAMN!! I say that because it's kind of a graphic shock. I was in scouting when the 50th anniversary was celebrated. That was a long time ago so that must mean... I'm old. :P Well, that's better than the alternative so far.

At the National Jamboree in 1970 (I think) there was music piped in all across the camp ground during the day. Until some one pointed out that it was the theme from the movie. "M*A*S*H*" The name of the piece is "Suicide is Painless". So much for adult supervision. :)

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

If you take a look at the Snopes lists for Obama, GWB, McCain and Palin, you find the lies about Obama outnumber the others combined, and this was the case prior to the 2008 election as was pointed out at the time.

Not surprising - with the rise of blogs and an infinite number of cable channels that need to fill their time, half truths, quarter truths, and complete falsehoods have never been able to spread so quickly. The trend towards fully capable smart phones will be one more growth spurt.

The counter sites like Factcheck that have emerged give people who want to check a valuable resource, but as you know people will take reports they want to believe at face value.

The previous three Presidents (Bush, Clinton, Bush) made their only appearances in their second terms -- maybe Obama is just following their lead.

Yowza! Could it be that there is a reasonable explanation? Should the leftists and rightists actually stop beating each other up with lies, outrageously bad logic, and oh so predictable taunts?

Nah. And I think there is a link between this ongoing diatribe and the living-vicariously-thru-others thread. Anybody who is a big fan of the current or last few presidents has got a fucking screw or three loose.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

The previous three Presidents (Bush, Clinton, Bush) made their only appearances in their second terms -- maybe Obama is just following their lead.

George HW Bush made his appearance at the national Jamboree in his second term?

:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I laughed at that too. I didn't know Bush senior had a second term? I guess headoverheels knows something we don't know. :D Hope he isn't a history teacher. ;)

I laughed at that too. I didn't know Bush senior had a second term? I guess headoverheels knows something we don't know. :D Hope he isn't a history teacher. ;)

Good point there, timmo. Totally cancels out the fact that this thread is breathtakingly stupid.

I know when I'm going through security checks, and it's never been a problem....the folks running the security checkpoint looked at my knives and handed them back to me.

This has also been my experience even at court houses/rooms. I just throw em in the X-ray machine and they hand em back...no questions asked.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I know when I'm going through security checks, and it's never been a problem....the folks running the security checkpoint looked at my knives and handed them back to me.

This has also been my experience even at court houses/rooms. I just throw em in the X-ray machine and they hand em back...no questions asked.

Wow. I go to a lot of courthouses and that's very much the opposite of my experience.

Wow. I go to a lot of courthouses and that's very much the opposite of my experience.

The most shocking to me was when entering the Edmund D Edelman Children's Court in Monterey Park, California where emotions can run quite high...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...