RALFFERS

I'm becoming an atheist

Why do atheists spend so much effort trying to debunk the existence of God?

Because Christianity impedes scientific advancement. I'm sure that even you'll admit to that. Separation of Church and State is only the beginning of what society needs to break free from the constraints of religious oppression.

Honestly, I don't give a damn that you or the next man believes in God. In fact, in a previous post, I already admitted that it has benefits for its followers. However, I do give a shit when your beliefs get forced down my throat in schools, work places, and inhibits my freedoms, as well as those pushing technological advances and sociological reforms.

A lot of Christians like to bash the Koran for all the evil it has, yet deny the evil that is in the bible.

Lol, good point. And speaking of, none of you religious advocates have touched my earlier question of why your god is the true one, and why other religions are false.

Because Christianity impedes scientific advancement.

No it doesn't...:D

Riddle of the day:
The reason we don't understand dark matter has nothing to do with Christianity.;)

Separation of Church and State is only the beginning of what society needs to break free from the constraints of religious oppression.

I agree...and if I'm not mistaking, I believe the first idea of a composite society was illustrated by Jesus.

I do give a shit when your beliefs get forced down my throat in schools, work places, and inhibits my freedoms

Mo drama.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

none of you religious advocates have touched my earlier question of why your god is the true one, and why other religions are false.

Because our God created the heavens and the earth...the other "gods" are probably real, but He created them as well.

...and the god of the Koran is just a copy cat.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Yeah, you can't exactly go and call anyone copy cats. Christianity is basically just Judaism which was edited and adapted.

If I was still a Christian today I would almost certainly be looking more into Judaism.

So let's see, Judaism exists and people follow it for centuries, following the old books teachings. Then this Jesus guy rocks up, claims to be the son of God, gets his posse together. They write about what amazing miracles he does etc.

Then because of his friends who write these books about him being a man of miracles, people start to believe that he really was the son of God. The religion remains small, Judaism remains stronger. Then Constantine comes, and instead of killing Christians, he kills those whom are not Christians, and so Christianity gets it's first big real boost into becoming a strong religion, through manipulation and fear.

But the reason people follow Christianity and not Judaism is due to a hand full of men who wrote about their hero.

It's a good thing we have evolved a bit over the centuries, or else we may have religious texts where television psychics start their own religions. Just take Judaism and throw in some scripts from John Edwards, you've got another religion.

none of you religious advocates have touched my earlier question of why your god is the true one, and why other religions are false.

Because our God created the heavens and the earth...the other "gods" are probably real, but He created them as well.

are you being sarcastic when you say this? its difficult to tell over the internet.

going back to the suggestion that jclalor should be thankful to god for making him a caring person, I think if i was in his position, and actually could communicate with god (if he did actually exist) thanking him would not be my intention as god is the one letting these kids suffer in the first place.

Yeah, you can't exactly go and call anyone copy cats. Christianity is basically just Judaism which was edited and adapted.

A lot of the Old Testament (Torah) myths can be traced to even earlier religions in Mesopotamia, Babylon and Sumeria.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

--going back to the suggestion that jclalor should be thankful to god for making him a caring person, I think if i was in his position, and actually could communicate with god (if he did actually exist) thanking him would not be my intention as god is the one letting these kids suffer in the first place.

If you are right and there is no God, then suffering, not suffering, caring, not caring doesn't really matter. Because when the sun explodes and consumes the earth our existence will become totally insignificant? But if there is a God. Our part in His plan obviously eludes you, since by your own admission, you don't have a clue.

A lot of the Old Testament (Torah) myths can be traced to even earlier religions in Mesopotamia, Babylon and Sumeria.

Can you point me to books on this subject? I really would like to be more educated in the matter.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

--going back to the suggestion that jclalor should be thankful to god for making him a caring person, I think if i was in his position, and actually could communicate with god (if he did actually exist) thanking him would not be my intention as god is the one letting these kids suffer in the first place.

If you are right and there is no God, then suffering, not suffering, caring, not caring doesn't really matter. Because when the sun explodes and consumes the earth our existence will become totally insignificant? But if there is a God. Our part in His plan obviously eludes you, since by your own admission, you don't have a clue.

You could look at it that way or you could see life as being very valuable and do your best to make the most of what time we have available. I don't see the advantage to the mysticism of deitys. Promises that are only fulfilled in death. To me it screams scam! Anytime I hear someone say 'God works in mysterious ways' I just want point out what cop out that is and how it's such a scam.

Don't talk nonsense. If I hit my thumb with a hammer it'll probably have stopped hurting by tomorrow, let alone a few billion years time - but I'm still careful when I'm putting in nails.

Thing don't need to be eternal to have significance; we are human beings and we work on human timescales, not geological ones or astronomical ones.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

can u expand on y u came to this conclusion please

"Our part in His plan obviously eludes you, since by your own admission, you don't have a clue"

why? what admission?

p.s some people enjoy being nice and caring, they don't just do it so god is happy with them after death.

You could look at it that way or you could see life as being very valuable and do your best to make the most of what time we have available. I don't see the advantage to the mysticism of deitys. Promises that are only fulfilled in death. To me it screams scam! Anytime I hear someone say 'God works in mysterious ways' I just want point out what cop out that is and how it's such a scam.

You have a different concept of God than I do. I would reject your god as well. I see God as the power and intelligence that pervades the universe and beyond. "Deity" is such an antiquated term. Fellowship with God is for the here and now. The temporal benefits makes life fantastic. If it continues after death, and it will, then great.

--Don't talk nonsense. If I hit my thumb with a hammer it'll probably have stopped hurting by tomorrow, let alone a few billion years time - but I'm still careful when I'm putting in nails.

OK, then lets jump so far into the infinite future that numbers of years have lost their significance. Does it really matter that you hit your thumb with a hammer now?

--Thing don't need to be eternal to have significance; we are human beings and we work on human timescales, not geological ones or astronomical ones.

Are you possibly suggesting that significance is achieved by subscribing to a higher system of norms and standards a priori, and not by being the most fittest and reporductive beast on the block?

OK, then lets jump so far into the infinite future that numbers of years have lost their significance. Does it really matter that you hit your thumb with a hammer now?

Matter to who?

The thing is, it matters to me now - so whether or not it matters at some point in the distant future... doesn't matter.

Are you possibly suggesting that significance is achieved by subscribing to a higher system of norms and standards a priori, and not by being the most fittest and reporductive beast on the block?

No, I said nothing about that at all. Bit of a non sequitur.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

You have a different concept of God than I do. I would reject your god as well. I see God as the power and intelligence that pervades the universe and beyond. "Deity" is such an antiquated term. Fellowship with God is for the here and now. The temporal benefits makes life fantastic. If it continues after death, and it will, then great.

It's not my concept of God, it's the common concept. Yours is not what is commonly believed. I have no belief in any god, so I have no god for you to reject.

Your idea of god is something you imagine and has no evidence to support, just like all gods. I understand why people want to believe in gods, but I prefer to not believe in fairy tales.